Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JIS screws

Post Thanks / Like

Re: JIS screws

I never heard of this either and I thought I was pretty up on fasteners. Learn something new everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, did you live in Detroit back in 2008? Or do I have you confused with another member?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve read the JIS is harder to srip out. I`ve also read that Phillips work fine if you grind the tip flatter. You can find inexpensive JIS screwdrivers on Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Is that what used to be known as a Posi-Driv screw?

And no, are you kidding? You`re lucky if the average person knows the difference between a slotted and a "cross-recess" screw.

You mean its not a positive or negative screwdriver???
    Thanks
    Bill G

1972 Buick GS Stage 1
    1 of 728 made
    1 of 1 SCO color combo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Lonnie, did you live in Detroit back in 2008? Or do I have you confused with another member?
    NOPE, have never lived in the Detroit area ever. Did visit the area, though, after Autopian All-Star Dave Fermani posted his photo expose on abandoned detailing shops/businesses in the Detroit area. Please see linked thread: (No pun intended, since this thread IS about screws)
    Detroit Abandoned Car Wash & Detail Shop Pics!!!!
    You would not be "confusing" me with him, would you??

Related topic though: I do like Torx socket head screws, but the cost is almost 4:1 over "conventional" (Phillips recess) screws due to the patented socket-drive shape. Ah yes, ANOTHER socket shape that requires MORE specialized tools. Don`t even talk about the ones with the "post" in the middle to make them "tamper-resistant" (MORE specialized tools!). Still a VERY good fastener drive system that does not strip out easily and was really developed for mass production assembly efficiency and assembly installation tool longevity.
    Then again, I`ve run across Square socket screws on residential doors and RV metal paneling (Still MORE specialized tools!).
    Oh yes, lest I forget, the screw for a 2-liter Ford Capri engine`s cam belt tightener is a 12-stared socket that requires a special Ottumwa Tool Company tool to remove (according to the Ford Service Manual). I do not remember what I paid for it back in 1981.

Yes, I have tools (too many, according to my significant other) that look brand-new due to their "infrequent" use. I have always subscribed to the theory, "the right tool for the right job." However, my mechanical prowess is akin to what Phyllis Diller said about her husband Fang: "When you put a hammer in his hand, you have roughly two objects with the same IQ!"
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    NOPE, have never lived in the Detroit area ever.
    OK, we had a member who worked in the automotive parts business who was affected by the 2008 bankruptcies, and due to your comprehensive fastener knowledge, thought maybe you were him and had moved to Green Bay. Sorry.

Oh yes, lest I forget, the screw for a 2-liter Ford Capri engine`s cam belt tightener is a 12-stared socket that requires a special Ottumwa Tool Company tool to remove (according to the Ford Service Manual). I do not remember what I paid for it back in 1981.
    Well, that`s a coincidence, around that time I helped my friend rebuild his `70 Pinto 2.0l engine to put into his `73 Capri. I don`t remember him having to buy any special tools, but who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

[/B]

Isn`t that the same as external torx?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Isn`t that the same as external torx?
    E torx does not have 12 points just 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information