Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The most important factor when choosing a car

m54daboll- Hey, I failed to mention that I think that is a great choice and I`m looking forward to hearing what you think of it after you have some stick time with it.
    Likes m54daboll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Good call on the helmet. I`m not really tall, but should probably start taking it on test drives just in case.
    Yeah, don`t want to buy a Track Day Toy only to find out you can`t play with it as planned Some salesmen`s reactions are amusing when you walk up to the Demo holding the helmet

I`m only 5`9" and it`s a very short list of vehicles that I can be comfortable in with a helmet and discomfort = compromised performance.

..I`d say ]Mazda`s] been on a steady climb since those days...
    Good to hear, the MPV literally left us creeping home (from far, far away) in limp-home mode countless times besides rusting away from the inside out. Yeah, I utterly hated how it drove, but I could`ve put up with that. We finally decided it was just too unsafe and sold it back to the dealer the last time they said it was "really OK". I pity its next owner but I had to do something with it..

I`ve never perfected H&T and even in my GTI the pedals aren`t set up real well for a traditional approach. Honestly due to injuries, I can`t twist my ankel in a way to do a traditional H&T anyway (i.e. heel on the gas)..
    TBH, I don`t know how you can drive it then. We simply can`t drive sticks unless we can match the spread while braking. Hope that didn`t sound critical...

I could do a modified approach (rock the foot side to side between brake and gas), but good places to practice are hard to find around here with all the straight roads...
    That could work fine, IMO it`s a "do whatever works" sort of thing. Heh heh, I`ve spent countless hours on such stuff in some weird places where I figured I could do it...had to explain to LEOs plenty of times too!

Honestly, after driving a car with a good paddle set up with a dual clutch or fast automatic, I actually found being able to focus more on my line and throttle application while simply flipping through the gears a pretty enjoyable experience.
    THAT. Period, IMO...but a lot of people genuinely love driving a stick and hey..whatever does it for ya

And sure, I might be, uhm....justifying since I can`t drive one (regularly) any more! I did kinda have fun with the last loaner car that had a manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    TBH, I don`t know how you can drive it then. We simply can`t drive sticks unless we can match the spread while braking. Hope that didn`t sound critical...
    Not at all. Over time, I`ve become pretty quick moving between the brake and throttle, and will "blip" the throttle when down shifting to help cover the RPM difference. In most tame driving situations these days that isn`t needed as much since automakers, in an effort improve fuel economy numbers build in a bit of "rev hang" into the throttle mapping on the ECU`s.

While my technique holds on the street and on autocross, I`ll be the first to admit it will fall flat if I ever became a serious track junkie. Fortunately I only do that once a year or so. [/quote]

THAT. Period, IMO...but a lot of people genuinely love driving a stick and hey..whatever does it for ya
    I do actually take pride in still doing it, and it`s entertaining when people get in my car and they realize something different. At this point it`s become an archane art form like blacksmithing or glass blowing.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Oh yeah, that "moving fast between.." is what my wife did (just fine) for decades before going to School. Not like she ever wore out a synchro and she put >100K on her sticks. And once again..it sounds like today`s cars are different from what I`m used to. Didn`t notice that "hang time" in the last manual Audi, but it might`ve just been part of the "gee, lots of tech [stuff] between me and the road" effect that I get with modern vehicles.

And yes indeed, being able to row your own *is* becoming an anomaly!

Post Thanks / Like

m54daboll- Hey, I failed to mention that I think that is a great choice and I`m looking forward to hearing what you think of it after you have some stick time with it.
    Accumulator--Had the car for about two months now. Its really got a miata-ish vibe to it. Only 200 horsepower but the car is loads of fun and you feel like you are going way faster than you are haha. It`s a great daily driver. On the highway, I get close to 40 mpg, and 25mpg in the city. It`s really fun to drive and the suspension setup is great. Stiff from the factory and it handles so well in the corners. The Michelin PS4s help a ton with grip (although they suck in the Boston snow because they were not made for it). The car is really lacking in the exhaust dept, however. It has this "active engine sound" where it pumps some real engine sound into the cabin through the speakers. So fake sound yes, but the origin of the sound is real. I like that you can have it on normal mode for this, minimized, enhanced, or completely off. I`m really missing a prominent exhaust sound coming from behind me though. It`s good for a daily driver, but for my personal taste it is just way too quiet. Can`t wait to see how the car does on the autocross track in the spring, but so far I love the thing!
    Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)

Post Thanks / Like

m54daboll- Heh heh, I`m guessing you`re maybe a few decades younger than I am Yeah..your car reminds me a lot of my old Honda CRX`s (see how old I am?!?), bet you`ll continue to love it for a good long time.

Post Thanks / Like

m54daboll- Heh heh, I`m guessing you`re maybe a few decades younger than I am Yeah..your car reminds me a lot of my old Honda CRX`s (see how old I am?!?), bet you`ll continue to love it for a good long time.
    Haha yea I`m 21 so still like my cars manual, stiff, and loud. I`m sure that will change in a few years
    Michael Daboll

-1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)

Post Thanks / Like

How about factors(plural) as I have a number of criteria and as I buy each new/used vehicle I buy the list gets longer.

First off it has to look nice or appeal to me. Color, when looking for my truck I purchased last fall I was down to two colors, blue was at the top then dark red. I definitely will not do black again and white is at the bottom of the list also since it looks too sterile to me. It has to have decent power so it was V6 and wasn`t interested in turbo 4`s. I am a big guy so fit, comfort and ease of getting into and out of. I wasn`t to concerned about interior looks since everything in my budget looks so cheaply made to begin with. I was looking at pickups and SUV`s and the criteria for a pickup was extended not crew so was looking into Colorado or an F150 and for an SUV I was looking at Jeep Cherokee.

My profile pic shows what I ended up with, a 2017 Colorado, Cajun Red Tintcoat, V6, 4X4. The test drive was comfortable but after the 4+ hour ride home the seat left something to be desired, even though used it is now getting broke in and more comfortable now. If I had fun factor on the list I would have kept my Camaro but it was time for a change and getting a little stiff in my old age it was tougher getting in and out of.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m54daboll View Post
    Haha yea I`m 21 so still like my cars manual, stiff, and loud. I`m sure that will change in a few years
    Nah, I’m 60 and still like my cars that way. The bad left knee limits the manual, but stiff and loud, yep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Nah, I’m 60 and still like my cars that way. The bad left knee limits the manual, but stiff and loud, yep.
    hahahha that`s awesome
    Michael Daboll

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m54daboll View Post
    For context, I am an immature 21 year old kid who`s nuts about cars.
    Git off my lawn!!

But seriously. With a house and kids it has to fit how I live. Which means it has to be able to carry stuff and people - no sports cars.
    The other thing is the interior - do I like the material, gauge layout etc.. Basically am I comfortable behind the wheel and do I like what I`m looking at.
    The devil made me do it the first time.
    The second time I done it on my own.

The only good thing about getting old is no longer having to worry about dying young.
    Likes m54daboll, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, you guys acting like 60 is "old"....

While my wife likes getting compliments on her A8, I`m more "nothing to see here, move along.." And every time I hear a loud exhaust I think it`s karma for the loud cars I had as a kid.
    Likes Coatings=crack, m54daboll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I got a compliment on my Accord in a parking lot the other day. When I do, I’m happy to declare how I love detailing.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I got a compliment on my Accord in a parking lot the other day.
    No doubt you get quite a few of those! Bet your Cadillac gets its share too

When I do, I’m happy to declare how I love detailing.
    I suspect most Autopians are like that. Both on the appreciation and the love of Detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

My Cadillac is (unfortunately) hiding from the world in the garage because there aren’t any shows to take it to but when it did attend it won first in its class.

If I were ever buying that car when it was new thirty years ago, I think I would’ve passed because it has some annoying features but hey, it was my first car and I was over the moon when I did get it.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information