Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The most important factor when choosing a car

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Primary criteria are:
    -Right tool for the job (which includes driving characteristics)
    -Appeal (build-quality, styling)
    -Easy for me to live with (ease of Detailing, competent service)
    -Lack of undefeatable "safety features", connectivity, and tracking of location/use
    -Within (cash) budget to buy and maintain

If I were buying a new car, I`d order it anyhow if only to ensure that nobody [messes] with it before delivery. And I would continue to refuse vehicles that somehow show up with unacceptable-to-me issues.

I wouldn`t buy any vehicle that had any characteristics that genuinely displeased me and I set the Displeasure Bar quite low, wouldn`t own most vehicles if they were given to me, including lots of `em that others love/lust after.
    Buying a car that has sat on the lot is a crap shoot. I took my BMW in for service and the “detailer” took us to the mall. We struck up a conversation after seeing a car covered in bird crap. He said very casually that they routinely WET SAND new vehicles with etching from bird crap. The blood drained from my face. I said nothing.
    Likes m54daboll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really got lucky with my Accord. I got it off the lot with no paint defects. I don’t think it was there long enough for them to happen though
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Has to be fun to own and drive.
    Reliable.
    Color. You got to live with this one.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that whole "do I really like looking at it" thing can be big, even with those of us who fancy ourselves objective. I simply don`t want any ugly stuff in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I really got lucky with my Accord. I got it off the lot with no paint defects. I don’t think it was there long enough for them to happen though
    Yeah, it *can* happen

My dad got his last Audi off the lot, let my dealer prep it, and it was perfectly OK, even by my standards. Meanwhile I was refusing delivery on vehicles and otherwise making myself popular...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Practicality, price (value), brand

Everyone thinks I would drive a diesel pickup truck, because I work on them for a living. My answer is typically I don’t have a construction company, a ranch/farm, or hauling a large heavy trailer daily, etc what would I possibly need one for

I’m in my 40s so practicality goes a long way, try to find a car that fits the point in our lives currently

So obviously a single 20 something car nut is gonna have a different realistic need and want than a married 40 something family man

Sure we may both desire having the newest 911 but typically the 20 year old can’t afford it yet and the 40 year old has no use or time for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are spot on. I think it is super interesting how our car buying tendencies change based on whatever point we are at in life. I know I will be much more focused on practicality and safety in my future. Just think it crazy how much our buying tendencies change throughout our life.
    Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)

Post Thanks / Like

I`m wondering whether others care about being able to operate controls without the driver needing to look away from the road. That`s simply crucial to my wife and me and it`s hard in some newer vehicles even after studying the manual.

Used to be the automakers kept all the controls in the same places and working the same way.."learn one Audi and you know `em all"..but not so much these days, and *so* many things require conscious interpretation that distracts from driving. Use a *touchscreen* while driving?!? To me, that`s Darwinism waiting to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    What you get? Pics?

I got a 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec. Came with some free rotary holograms all over it and I can`t correct it yet since I`m at school. Here are some pics after I applied some Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant to it:

Michael Daboll

-1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)
    Likes Coatings=crack, Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`m wondering whether others care about being able to operate controls without the driver needing to look away from the road. That`s simply crucial to my wife and me and it`s hard in some newer vehicles even after studying the manual.

Used to be the automakers kept all the controls in the same places and working the same way.."learn one Audi and you know `em all"..but not so much these days, and *so* many things require conscious interpretation that distracts from driving. Use a *touchscreen* while driving?!? To me, that`s Darwinism waiting to happen.
    It is getting crazy with some of these controls. I was in a friends brand new G05 BMW X5. It has gesture control for the volume of the radio and speed of the AC fan. My friend let me drive and he was in the passenger seat and talking about something, but he was using his hands as he was talking and the car didn`t know what to do. The volume and AC fan were going nuts trying to raise and lower hahaha
    Michael Daboll

Post Thanks / Like

The most important factor for me is safety. There are some pretty cool cars on the road, but they are death traps. My `02 GS300 out performs some of these death traps in crash tests. Main case in point, the current generation Dodge Challenger (the cool versions). I secretly like these cars as they are a bit more spacious than the Mustang and Camaro, but they perform so poorly in crash tests, same with GM and Ram trucks. No go for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m54daboll View Post
    I got a 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec. Came with some free rotary holograms all over it and I can`t correct it yet since I`m at school. Here are some pics after I applied some Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant to it:

She’s pretty any mods planned?

Post Thanks / Like

1. Driving dynamics - feel and performance after you exceed the limits of the car. The numbers aren`t important to me, a lowly miata is more fun to drive than an overpowered muscle car
    2. Build quality, I hate flimsy cars
    3. Ability to maintain and service my car, myself
    4. Depreciation that looks like a skateboard ramp, I like buying expensive cars that don`t loose too much alue once I buy them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    She’s pretty any mods planned?

Yes! First is gatta be an exhaust. You have good intake/ turbo noise but the exhaust is way too quiet. Then, I`ll do some suspension work. It handles incredibly well, but want some lowering springs and stiffer and thicker sway bars. Not doing coilovers or anything, because it is my daily driver and I still want it to be comfortable. The car comes from the factory pretty stiff as is. I also want to do a tune to 93 octane. It`s a very small displacement and high compression engine, so tuning to 93 should help get a tiny bit more power. Think that`s it for now. Wheels and tires are good as they are (car comes with Michelin PS4s!)
    Michael Daboll

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m54daboll View Post
    Yes! First is gatta be an exhaust. You have good intake/ turbo noise but the exhaust is way too quiet. Then, I`ll do some suspension work. It handles incredibly well, but want some lowering springs and stiffer and thicker sway bars. Not doing coilovers or anything, because it is my daily driver and I still want it to be comfortable. The car comes from the factory pretty stiff as is. I also want to do a tune to 93 octane. It`s a very small displacement and high compression engine, so tuning to 93 should help get a tiny bit more power. Think that`s it for now. Wheels and tires are good as they are (car comes with Michelin PS4s!)
    Add a cold air intake to your list. That couple with your exhaust will do wonders for your turbo. Make sure to tune after all Mods or get a programmable tuner to change as you add. Your plans sound awesome! Only thing I would add personally is wheels and tires. Complete changes look. Although those are nice looking wheels... would be the same as many other velosters around. A good hack and way to get away cheap will still looking stock is to look for stock rims off other hundai/genesis that people are selling because they got new aftermarket. Usually have good tires and now you’ll have winter/summer set up. Does an awesome job changing appearance while still looking aggressively stock.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

If its a used car, cpo, etc., first thing I absolutely have to see = Maintenance Records -
    If it has not been maintained and especially if it has only had those ridiculously long interval oil and filter changes, its a no go for me..
    This first step saves me a lot of time; if its not been maintained, hasta` la vista`, Baby..

If it was smoked in - Sayonara....

Having had several Bimmers and Detailed hundreds more, I would always want to have one again..
    Yes, they require more maintenance, etc., but the driving feel on the ones I had = awesome..
    I like that they try to achieve as close to 50/50 balance on some models still.. This always helps handling..

Also love Black, had many, Detailed a zillion more.. It is not an issue to keep it looking great.. Coatings really help out here..

Ref - M54 - I have had some really nice ones, this guy - not so much - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4ZnT5qPpo

Dan F
    Last edited by Stokdgs; 03-04-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Added another most important factor..

Post Thanks / Like

1. Style/Looks (I want a vehicle that makes me want to turn and look at it when I walk away)
    2. Value (what do I get for my money and how does it compare to similar vehicles in it`s class, power, features, lease rates, resale value, ect.)
    3. Power & Performance
    4. I like vehicle that aren`t super common, usually the performance trims and limited editions. Exclusive colors appeal to me too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information