Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 153
  1. #1
    Nizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    McConnellsburg, PA
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Gotta Love Winter...

    ...as it brings snow, salt, and mud!





    I know the general consensus around here is keeping your ride super clean, but I`m just mini ranting about winter in these parts. This is gonna be a fun one to clean!

    In other news this was the first time I took it through any measurable snow and while impressed, I still think I need to look at trading up to a 4wd...
    2017 VW Golf GTI 6 Speed Manual - 2015 Toyota Camry SE - 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd, SWETM liked this post

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    12,120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    In other news this was the first time I took it through any measurable snow and while impressed, I still think I need to look at trading up to a 4wd...
    Or maybe just some good winter tires?
    Likes Stokdgs, DAC17 liked this post

  3. #3
    Nizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    McConnellsburg, PA
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Or maybe just some good winter tires?
    While that idea crossed my mind, it`s too low to the ground for anything deep. That and the torque steer is super bad even trying to lug the engine to control it. While it isn`t the most powerful thing out there, there`s a little bit too much torque for its own good.
    2017 VW Golf GTI 6 Speed Manual - 2015 Toyota Camry SE - 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    801
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    ...as it brings snow, salt, and mud!


    I know the general consensus around here is keeping your ride super clean, but I`m just mini ranting about winter in these parts. This is gonna be a fun one to clean!

    In other news this was the first time I took it through any measurable snow and while impressed, I still think I need to look at trading up to a 4wd...

    You mean the R? What`s stopping you?
    Likes Nizmo, RMD, Oneheadlite liked this post

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    St. Louis Metro Area (Illinois)
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    Black GTI owner here as well, but mine is a MK6. Right now we`re coming off three days of snow and rain, so I can`t imagine how bad it`s going to look once everything dries out a bit. Probably won`t be pretty.

    I couldn`t imagine ever trading mine in for someting AWD. Even with all season tires being used as my winters (yes, I know...I just need them to wear out before getting good winter tires), I find the car very stable and easy to control on snow and ice. With a good set of winter tires, I`d only have to worry about ground clearance, which typically isn`t an issue.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

  6. #6
    trashmanssd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Plymouth,Ma
    Posts
    2,018
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    Snow is another four letter word! It is pure evil and needs to be eradicated from my life.
    Likes Dan, Nizmo, JRW67 liked this post

  7. #7
    Hooked For Life Bill D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The First Coast
    Posts
    12,621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    It is from mine. I don’t miss it one bit.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Dan, Nizmo, trashmanssd liked this post

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    Low to the ground is somewhat of a problem but I had a Prius with winter tires on it and drove it through 14 inches of snow it wasn’t easy but it did work

    My wrx I had that was lowered with springs drove through many deep snows and or ice with winters and it was ok too

    I have an Accord sport now with winters but haven’t seen any deep snow just a few inches at a time so far

    Anytime this time of year is always tempting to want an awd or 4wd with some ground clearance. I totally understand


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

  9. #9
    Nizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    McConnellsburg, PA
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    You mean the R? What`s stopping you?
    I can give you $40,000 reasons...

    They`ve said the R is not as enjoyable to drive anyways.

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Black GTI owner here as well, but mine is a MK6. Right now we`re coming off three days of snow and rain, so I can`t imagine how bad it`s going to look once everything dries out a bit. Probably won`t be pretty.

    I couldn`t imagine ever trading mine in for someting AWD. Even with all season tires being used as my winters (yes, I know...I just need them to wear out before getting good winter tires), I find the car very stable and easy to control on snow and ice. With a good set of winter tires, I`d only have to worry about ground clearance, which typically isn`t an issue.
    It did really surprise me, especially since the right side of the backroads were still covered, but it was super stable. My only nemesis until I got used to it was right turns I would just slide. Got to the point I would keep the clutch pressed in and all was well. One advantage to a manual I guess.

    I`d really like to see what a set of snows would do, but if they don`t work out I`m out almost a grand between winter tires and wheels. The good thing about the MK7 platform is I don`t have to worry about tire pressure sensors as they base it off the ABS system, pretty neat if you ask me.

    Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Snow is another four letter word! It is pure evil and needs to be eradicated from my life.
    After a couple years (literally) I can transfer where I want to within the company I work for. They have a hub near Orlando that I`m seriously considering, I guess one summer I`ll have to make a roadtrip to check it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Low to the ground is somewhat of a problem but I had a Prius with winter tires on it and drove it through 14 inches of snow it wasn’t easy but it did work

    My wrx I had that was lowered with springs drove through many deep snows and or ice with winters and it was ok too

    I have an Accord sport now with winters but haven’t seen any deep snow just a few inches at a time so far

    Anytime this time of year is always tempting to want an awd or 4wd with some ground clearance. I totally understand
    One of the main reasons for going to a 4wd truck is to consolidate the S10 and GTI to downsize my fleet. Between insurance and maintenance it can get expensive some months, especially when the GTI is considered a sports car on my insurance.
    2017 VW Golf GTI 6 Speed Manual - 2015 Toyota Camry SE - 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,000
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    I`m loving this years winter sofar. Thank you el-nino effect. it`s been so mild, that this week is the only week I have some mild pre-treated salted road overspray on the panels. Lotsa gritty salt/sand/etc on it, but not the dried liquified crap. Oh boy, do I sound like a northeast Florida snowbird

    Eeeks. Is this signs of getting old.
    I used to miss the snow. I`m not missing it 1 bit

    Cars are cleaner
    Garage floor is cleaner
    No shoveling
    No snowblowing
    No digging out the end of the driveway where we get the BERM OF A WALL
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,000
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    Off topic or on topic re: snow tires

    I like how they behave in Snow.
    On Warm days, I hate the gummi bears
    On Rainy days, I hate driving on them.

    My POV on dedicated snow in climates that are not snow heavy have slighty changed...maybe due to our climate weather patterns.
    I definitely would have hated if I had snow tires on past Thanksgiving (my usual winter/summer tire swap). On the wifeys, it would be AS/Snows.

    I definitely understand how snows will work for someone who get`s indefinite ~winter conditions~ throughout winter.
    When are we going to accept this, but I think mild winters are the ~new norm~

    --
    Griots Surface Prep sitting on shelf MAD as no snow=no testing

  12. #12
    Administrator Liz@Autopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Eeeks. Is this signs of getting old.
    I used to miss the snow. I`m not missing it 1 bit
    I don`t miss it either, especially don`t miss driving in it. It was February when my husband and I left Oregon heading to Florida. We sold the snow tires before we left because we knew they`d have no value here. It got a little interesting going through the Siskiyou Pass with the Subaru station wagon pulling a U-Haul but we lived to tell the tale and I swore that was the last time I was ever going to have to drive in the snow. 18 years later and so far I`ve been able to make good on that promise.
    Likes trashmanssd, Ronkh, SWETM liked this post

  13. #13
    Hooked For Life Bill D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The First Coast
    Posts
    12,621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    Ive been down here in FL for 14 years now. I don’t think I remember how to drive in snow. I better not visit up north in the winter.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Thanks trashmanssd thanked for this post

  14. #14
    DETAILED TODAY? PA DETAILER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    Yea. Hate to see my new truck dirty! But it is what it is here in PA. Just waiting for the weather to break enough to do a wash. But also looking forward to that spring detail to make it up to my standards!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Nizmo, fries liked this post

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    St. Louis Metro Area (Illinois)
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gotta Love Winter...

    Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Low to the ground is somewhat of a problem but I had a Prius with winter tires on it and drove it through 14 inches of snow it wasn’t easy but it did work

    My wrx I had that was lowered with springs drove through many deep snows and or ice with winters and it was ok too
    How much abuse did the front facia take on those cars? This weekend, I had to make an airport run and the exit ramp from the interstate hadn`t been plowed, which left only two narrow tracks leadind down the ramp. Had I been in my car that "hump" between the ruts would have easily been higher than the front clip of my GTI and I`m sure the ice chunks and frozen snow would have done some damage.


    Anytime this time of year is always tempting to want an awd or 4wd with some ground clearance. I totally understand
    I understand the tempation as well, but the best snow car I`ve ever driven was my old E46 BMW. The 50/50 weight balance and RWD actually made it really easy to control when the roads became slick. Not having the drive wheels trying to put down power at the same time makes a huge difference in how a car behaves.

 

 
Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gotta love PA
    By PA DETAILER in forum Hot Tub
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-16-2017, 08:06 PM
  2. Gotta Love it
    By in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 08:44 AM
  3. Gotta love those
    By rabbi in forum Hot Tub
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 12:52 AM
  4. Gotta Love Nattys!
    By White95Max in forum Click & Brag -The Detailers Showcase
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 02:55 PM
  5. Gotta love it..........
    By Maligno in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 07:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •