Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta Love Winter...

...as it brings snow, salt, and mud!

I know the general consensus around here is keeping your ride super clean, but I`m just mini ranting about winter in these parts. This is gonna be a fun one to clean!

In other news this was the first time I took it through any measurable snow and while impressed, I still think I need to look at trading up to a 4wd...
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gotta Love Winter...

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    In other news this was the first time I took it through any measurable snow and while impressed, I still think I need to look at trading up to a 4wd...
    Or maybe just some good winter tires?
    Likes Stokdgs, DAC17 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Or maybe just some good winter tires?
    While that idea crossed my mind, it`s too low to the ground for anything deep. That and the torque steer is super bad even trying to lug the engine to control it. While it isn`t the most powerful thing out there, there`s a little bit too much torque for its own good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    ...as it brings snow, salt, and mud!

I know the general consensus around here is keeping your ride super clean, but I`m just mini ranting about winter in these parts. This is gonna be a fun one to clean!

You mean the R? What`s stopping you?
    Likes Nizmo, RMD, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Black GTI owner here as well, but mine is a MK6. Right now we`re coming off three days of snow and rain, so I can`t imagine how bad it`s going to look once everything dries out a bit. Probably won`t be pretty.

I couldn`t imagine ever trading mine in for someting AWD. Even with all season tires being used as my winters (yes, I know...I just need them to wear out before getting good winter tires), I find the car very stable and easy to control on snow and ice. With a good set of winter tires, I`d only have to worry about ground clearance, which typically isn`t an issue.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Snow is another four letter word! It is pure evil and needs to be eradicated from my life.
    Likes Dan, Nizmo, JRW67 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It is from mine. I don’t miss it one bit.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Dan, Nizmo, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Low to the ground is somewhat of a problem but I had a Prius with winter tires on it and drove it through 14 inches of snow it wasn’t easy but it did work

My wrx I had that was lowered with springs drove through many deep snows and or ice with winters and it was ok too

I have an Accord sport now with winters but haven’t seen any deep snow just a few inches at a time so far

Anytime this time of year is always tempting to want an awd or 4wd with some ground clearance. I totally understand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    You mean the R? What`s stopping you?
    I can give you $40,000 reasons...

They`ve said the R is not as enjoyable to drive anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Black GTI owner here as well, but mine is a MK6. Right now we`re coming off three days of snow and rain, so I can`t imagine how bad it`s going to look once everything dries out a bit. Probably won`t be pretty.

I couldn`t imagine ever trading mine in for someting AWD. Even with all season tires being used as my winters (yes, I know...I just need them to wear out before getting good winter tires), I find the car very stable and easy to control on snow and ice. With a good set of winter tires, I`d only have to worry about ground clearance, which typically isn`t an issue.
    It did really surprise me, especially since the right side of the backroads were still covered, but it was super stable. My only nemesis until I got used to it was right turns I would just slide. Got to the point I would keep the clutch pressed in and all was well. One advantage to a manual I guess.

I`d really like to see what a set of snows would do, but if they don`t work out I`m out almost a grand between winter tires and wheels. The good thing about the MK7 platform is I don`t have to worry about tire pressure sensors as they base it off the ABS system, pretty neat if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Snow is another four letter word! It is pure evil and needs to be eradicated from my life.
    After a couple years (literally) I can transfer where I want to within the company I work for. They have a hub near Orlando that I`m seriously considering, I guess one summer I`ll have to make a roadtrip to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Low to the ground is somewhat of a problem but I had a Prius with winter tires on it and drove it through 14 inches of snow it wasn’t easy but it did work

My wrx I had that was lowered with springs drove through many deep snows and or ice with winters and it was ok too

I have an Accord sport now with winters but haven’t seen any deep snow just a few inches at a time so far

Anytime this time of year is always tempting to want an awd or 4wd with some ground clearance. I totally understand
    One of the main reasons for going to a 4wd truck is to consolidate the S10 and GTI to downsize my fleet. Between insurance and maintenance it can get expensive some months, especially when the GTI is considered a sports car on my insurance.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m loving this years winter sofar. Thank you el-nino effect. it`s been so mild, that this week is the only week I have some mild pre-treated salted road overspray on the panels. Lotsa gritty salt/sand/etc on it, but not the dried liquified crap. Oh boy, do I sound like a northeast Florida snowbird

Eeeks. Is this signs of getting old.
    I used to miss the snow. I`m not missing it 1 bit

Cars are cleaner
    Garage floor is cleaner
    No shoveling
    No snowblowing
    No digging out the end of the driveway where we get the BERM OF A WALL

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic or on topic re: snow tires

I like how they behave in Snow.
    On Warm days, I hate the gummi bears
    On Rainy days, I hate driving on them.

My POV on dedicated snow in climates that are not snow heavy have slighty changed...maybe due to our climate weather patterns.
    I definitely would have hated if I had snow tires on past Thanksgiving (my usual winter/summer tire swap). On the wifeys, it would be AS/Snows.

I definitely understand how snows will work for someone who get`s indefinite ~winter conditions~ throughout winter.
    When are we going to accept this, but I think mild winters are the ~new norm~

--
    Griots Surface Prep sitting on shelf MAD as no snow=no testing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Eeeks. Is this signs of getting old.
    I used to miss the snow. I`m not missing it 1 bit
    I don`t miss it either, especially don`t miss driving in it. It was February when my husband and I left Oregon heading to Florida. We sold the snow tires before we left because we knew they`d have no value here. It got a little interesting going through the Siskiyou Pass with the Subaru station wagon pulling a U-Haul but we lived to tell the tale and I swore that was the last time I was ever going to have to drive in the snow. 18 years later and so far I`ve been able to make good on that promise.
    Likes trashmanssd, Ronkh, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been down here in FL for 14 years now. I don’t think I remember how to drive in snow. I better not visit up north in the winter.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Thanks trashmanssd thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yea. Hate to see my new truck dirty! But it is what it is here in PA. Just waiting for the weather to break enough to do a wash. But also looking forward to that spring detail to make it up to my standards!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Nizmo, fries liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post

How much abuse did the front facia take on those cars? This weekend, I had to make an airport run and the exit ramp from the interstate hadn`t been plowed, which left only two narrow tracks leadind down the ramp. Had I been in my car that "hump" between the ruts would have easily been higher than the front clip of my GTI and I`m sure the ice chunks and frozen snow would have done some damage.

I understand the tempation as well, but the best snow car I`ve ever driven was my old E46 BMW. The 50/50 weight balance and RWD actually made it really easy to control when the roads became slick. Not having the drive wheels trying to put down power at the same time makes a huge difference in how a car behaves.

Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information