Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gotta Love Winter...

I always found it strange that the euro tire tests had tires we pretty much don’t or can’t get here in the USA Gotta Love Winter...

But on that thought wonder what percentage of vehicles used during winter in the states use a winter tire at all.

Think it would be easier to just ship Euro models here than make a new line for the states if they are small % movers.

Unless there is an entire separate DOT approval process that has be met with anything sold here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

SWETM- Heh heh, you`re preaching to the choir when it comes to discussing the right tires for the conditions with me I wouldn`t be caught dead driving even all-season tires in the winter, or even most winter tires as the poorer ones aren`t any good IME.

We don`t have unplowed roads so bad that there`d be any buildup between cleanings, but then I keep our vehicles awfully nice in the winter, including the wells/undercarriages. And I truly believe that keeping such areas LSPed helps minimize buildup.

In my area we simply must drive on winter tires in warmer/clear weather because our winter weather varies so much. It`s been 50° recently but tomorrow it`ll be below zero. I`ve never found (unstudded) winter tires to be a handicap at legal speeds, so if we`re not getting out a different car with summer rubber we just grit our teeth and drive slower than we`d like.

But I don`t think we could run studded tires much better now than in the past. Just too many days with clear or wet, and warm, pavement during our winters. The upside is that we seldom have so much snow that we have to park the Quattros and share the Tahoe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I always found it strange that the euro tire tests had tires we pretty much don’t or can’t get here in the USA Gotta Love Winter...

But on that thought wonder what percentage of vehicles used during winter in the states use a winter tire at all.

Think it would be easier to just ship Euro models here than make a new line for the states if they are small % movers.

Unless there is an entire separate DOT approval process that has be met with anything sold here

Winter tires are almost impossible to find in my area despite weather being appropriate for their use (at least this winter). Costco is one of my only options locally, and even then they`d have to order them.

For the winte tire user in my part of the US, the best bet is ordering on line through TireRack or 1010 Tires. I am a big fan of TireRack, but 1010 Tires is a Canadian company which happens to serve the US as well which makes their winter tire selection much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    In my area we simply must drive on winter tires in warmer/clear weather because our winter weather varies so much. It`s been 50° recently but tomorrow it`ll be below zero.
    This has been my biggest problem personally when it comes to what tires I run in the winter. Over the last 3~4 years our total snow fall has been less than 6 inches COMBINED. Each of those winters progressively got warmer with the average hovering right around high 30`s/low 40`s (with plenty of days in the 50`s and 60`s). I had no problems running all seasons as my winter set because the weather was simply too warm and too mild.

This winter is completely different. Far colder than anything we`ve seen in 10 years, and we had more snow in one storm last month than the total snow fall for last 6 years. I`ll be mounting winter tires when my all seasons wear out and hope we don`t go back to the warm "winters" we had in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Maybe it`s because we`re not driving as much now that we`re retired (well, I am, my wife still tutors a few days/week), but our winter tires don`t wear as fast as I`d expected when we drive on dry roads. I used to think they`d wear out in no time, but I guess we`re driving slowly enough that it doesn`t happen.

I`ve tried getting by with our highly rated) Michelin All Seasons during winter driving in what I consider "light winter conditions" but they simply didn`t compare to real winter tires. We generally have one vehicle with All Seasons on it that we can use if need be, so I`m spoiled with regard to having the right tires for the conditions.

EDIT: back in `15 we had such a mild winter that I left the (then new) Pilot AS3s on the A8 all winter. On the rare days when it really snowed we drove something else after the first tries with those in "light snow". I`m glad you`re planning to get winter tires in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Desertnate- Maybe it`s because we`re not driving as much now that we`re retired (well, I am, my wife still tutors a few days/week), but our winter tires don`t wear as fast as I`d expected when we drive on dry roads. I used to think they`d wear out in no time, but I guess we`re driving slowly enough that it doesn`t happen.
    I don`t drive all that much either. My commute to work is only around 10~12 miles each way.

I`m glad to hear your winter tires down`t wear out too fast. I always thought lots of miles on dry roads in warmer conditions would kill a set pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

With the Polar Vortez that has settled in, all the roads got a fair amount of salt laid down.
    As I was washing the DD last week in low 30`s, I was saying to myself, how nice it`s been this year, that I`ve NOT needed to wash off salt brined panels !
    Heh, I jinxed it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I`m glad to hear your winter tires down`t wear out too fast. I always thought lots of miles on dry roads in warmer conditions would kill a set pretty quickly.
    Last year I really pushed it as I needed new summer (well, A/S) tires for the Tahoe...in the warm weather I could really smell the Blizzaks and thought "uh-oh!" but it appears they suffered that abuse OK.

Post Thanks / Like

In other news I just tried to clean the inside of the windows on the GTI, which is in the unheated garage, but none-the-less out of the elements. I wound up having to start it up and warm the interior because the window cleaner was freezing... That`s an interesting first for me...

And the car is white again. I washed it the other day and when I stopped at the Sheetz (35 min drive) it was white again. I give up!
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes trashmanssd, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I don`t drive all that much either. My commute to work is only around 10~12 miles each way.

I think a lot of the wear can be cut down just revising your driving to accommodate the soft rubber/tall tread blocks. My first set of snows on my Jetta back in the day, I used probably 50% of the measured tread (not to the wear bars or snow bars), but I was driving around like a 17yo in an Autocross modded MkII (because I was). Since then I just take it easy and have gotten much much longer life. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread I’ve got 38k on my current snows (not the “high performance” or whatever they call the variety that’re pretty much all seasons).

I do have quattro, an intentionally adjusted alignment, and a mainly highway commute on my side though. FWD and all your torque will obviously be a bit harder on them.

I will I’ll admit every spring I’m dying to put the Super Sports back on once it’s safe. I end up erring on deeper into spring before bolting them on because there are too many bridges/highway curves between my house and work to risk running rock hard Summer tires in too cool of temps. I’ve played that game before (again, teen in hopped up MkII), and you absolutely get rendered just-a-passenger if the conditions go south. Had a big eye opener in a dusting of snow on whatever the hot Pirelli of the day was at the time, even basically just crawling along.

Accumulator - glad the Blizzaks held up ok despite wafting odors. Had a coworker turn his blue on an... enthusiastic highway drive back from training in Chicago —> Twin Cities.

Post Thanks / Like

Oneheadlite- Heh heh, glad your coworker lived to tell...never know when "enthusiasm beyond the tire`s designed capabilities" might result in more than a good story.

But yeah...just dialing it back really does make a diff...as I tell myself when taking certain curves in the Tahoe. My wife is easy enough on the A8 that, well...I won`t say how old her Bilzzaks are but with our driveway a sheet of ice the other day she was only slipping a very little bit, not enough that I`m ready to replace `em even though we`ve sure gotten our money`s worth out of that set.

Post Thanks / Like

my biggest gripes with out snows (preferred pref Nokians) is just the wet weather performance. I call them gummi bears on warm dry days, it`s more like jello on rainy weather days.

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like

No I don`t!

Forgive my grumpiness but I had pipes freeze AGAIN!!!
    The devil made me do it the first time.
    The second time I done it on my own.

The only good thing about getting old is no longer having to worry about dying young.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The last time I got to enjoy the snow/cold was in Korea with my Jeep / then the Hummer`s when we were the first to get them in service. Mine couldn`t drive to well in the -18 degrees and 3 ft of snow in those awesome Korean rice paddles near the DMZ. You all be careful out there.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I know others had it colder but this is as cold as I remember seeing on any car I owned temp reading while driving. No account for the wind chill we had brrr

Likes trashmanssd, Coleroad, Nizmo, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

-15°F would be a heat-wave, compared to the last few days in Green Bay, WI. Was -25°F this morning, with a Wind Chill Index of -44°F. Schools have been closed on Monday (snow), and then Wed. and today (Thur.) because of intense Artic cold. Been a LONG time since it has been this cold, this long, in Wisconsin.
    The roads are snow packed and icy because the salt only works to about 5°F and the good deicer (calcium chloride) is only used on bridges and overpasses, but that only works to about -20°F, so it is extremely slippery on ALL the roads. I took my wife to work at her dental office and the roads are like washboard gravel back roads up north in the boonies/sticks, but with hard packed snow. Never have seen that in the entire city of Green Bay.
    Lots of car battery issues, tires coming off rims because of low tire pressures (who checks tire pressures in extreme cold!! Remember tires loose about 1 PSI for each drop of 10°F below an ambient temp of 60°F with tires set at normal operating pressure of 32 PSI), and semi-diesel fuel gelling at extreme cold. It is so cold, the police have issued a towing ban, unless it is an extreme emergency (their call, not you!). Gotta love winter in Wisconsin (or be dumb enough to live here, as all of you in the southeast are thinking.)

Get this: by Sunday we will be in the 40°F`s with Freezing Rain . Lots of cars are going to loose their ermine white salt covering and frozen slush bottom rails and wheel wells. They ALL look bad right now.. A clean vehicle sticks out like a sore thumb in this Artic weather.

Oh yah, if you go back and look at SWETM`s tire scores of 8,2 (etc.) is really 8.2. The Europeans use the comma for the decimal point, which can be REALLY confusing because we in the USA use the comma to delineate the thousands place (like 1,0345.563). I think the Europeans use a blank space (Like 1 345,563). JFYI.
    GB detailer
    Likes Nizmo, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information