Re: Gotta Love Winter...

-2 when I left work last night.

thCAWBUJBY.jpg
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Nizmo, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is this morning with 30mph sustained winds. No sense in even clearing it till the wind slows down
    tonight.

Gotta Love Winter...-img_0315.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Nizmo, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a review about the WRs and they also said they were pretty much no different than all seasons

My view is sure you “can” drive all seasons in many winter moments but a good set of actual winter tires really makes a difference

I too get to drive other peoples vehicles and you do realize how bad some tires are even with good tread

Then you also get the people that ask how was your drive in (on days where apparently it’s bad) and you kinda have to think umm as I missing something cause the winter tires caused no drama at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yea it was 1F this morning, but luckily no wind. I wanted to get a hoagie and didn`t want to get the cars out so the only other option was the truck. Was thinking there was no way it was going to start, but somehow it did! As soon as I let out the clutch in neutral it stalled. The heck!? Turns out the transmission oil had thickened enough it was dragging it down that much. I had to literally slip the clutch slowly in neutral. It was almost 30 before I could get it in gear. Note to self, SAE 140 GL4 gear lube is not winter friendly!
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes Coleroad, trashmanssd, Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I saw a review about the WRs and they also said they were pretty much no different than all seasons

My view is sure you “can” drive all seasons in many winter moments but a good set of actual winter tires really makes a difference

I too get to drive other peoples vehicles and you do realize how bad some tires are even with good tread

Then you also get the people that ask how was your drive in (on days where apparently it’s bad) and you kinda have to think umm as I missing something cause the winter tires caused no drama at all

It`s amazing how many people blame the car and not the tires when they don`t perform well in snow. Bad tires or heavily worn good tires will kill any vehicles ability to handle weather conditions.

In years past, our winters here were pretty mild with temperatures swinging from the low teens to 60`s, but pretty dry with only a very light snow and some rain. I easily got by with all seasons as my winter tires. In fact the warm weather probably would have destroyed winter tires. This year has been much colder with more snow than the last three years combined. I`m starting to re-think my tire choices and may get some winter tires to replace the all seasons on my winter wheel set.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Yea it was 1F this morning, but luckily no wind. I wanted to get a hoagie and didn`t want to get the cars out so the only other option was the truck. Was thinking there was no way it was going to start, but somehow it did! As soon as I let out the clutch in neutral it stalled. The heck!? Turns out the transmission oil had thickened enough it was dragging it down that much. I had to literally slip the clutch slowly in neutral. It was almost 30 before I could get it in gear. Note to self, SAE 140 GL4 gear lube is not winter friendly!
    I didn`t know that was still an issue with more modern vehicles. My car with a manual has been fine down to around 0F. A little stiffer than normal, but nothing bad.

I remember as a kid in the 80`s my dad`s car wouldn`t go into gear in those temps (or colder) unless you let it sit and run for about 10 minutes. The gear oil was so stiff, there was no way the lever would move between gears.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I didn`t know that was still an issue with more modern vehicles. My car with a manual has been fine down to around 0F. A little stiffer than normal, but nothing bad.

I remember as a kid in the 80`s my dad`s car wouldn`t go into gear in those temps (or colder) unless you let it sit and run for about 10 minutes. The gear oil was so stiff, there was no way the lever would move between gears.
    It normally isn`t, but the heavy gear oil is my last ditch attempt to get a couple more miles out of the ailing NV1500 transmission. Should have also mentioned it wasn`t running exactly 100% on all cylinders either, so that had alot to do with it. I have trouble with the 1-2 shift even in 100F weather. I probably could have made a new syncro out of the amount of brass that came out last time... I need to buy some Redline MT90 for the GTI so I might get an extra bit for the S10 and try it out.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

My wife had that experience one time meeting a friend for lunch. She had her A4 on gummy Blizzaks at the time and had zero drama on the way to her friends house. Her friend wanted to take her car; needless to say my wife had her eyes opened to what everyone else was experiencing.

Post Thanks / Like

Oneheadlite- Good on you for seeing that your wife`s car is winter-safe..or at least i assume you had a hand in that

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mobiledynamics;2153047]Do any of ya`ll winterize your doors . I used to do it back religiously in the days, gummiphledge. Have not done any in the last couple of years.

Frozen door llatches, uggh. The bane of our existence. Thought we broke one but we got lucky. Going to need to winterize these not so friendly latches...[/QUOTE]
    What I use on door (and hoods and rear truck lids or hatches) locks, latches, and hinges is Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant with PTFE made by Sherwin-Williams Group (they bought the company from the original inventors) for winter lubrication. Most hardware stores carry it.
    Second substitute is Rem-Oil Aerosol Lubricant.

It is funny that you should mention this and using Nextzett Gummi-pflege on seals to prevent them from freezing to door jams. I wax my door jams for this very reason as well.

But, the REAL problem is drivers who fail to completely clean snow from the entire car (I call them idiots; you know, those who ONLY clean the front window after it snows) and then drive them on their commute to work or to home. When the car stops, that un-removed snow they thought would blow off (it does, but also ends up in the door jam cracks on top of the seals) melts from the car heater turned up on high and then freezes. I am fastidious about removing the snow from my entire car, even if it means I use a snow brush and induce "swirls" in the clear coat. Lack of visibility, or more correctly, driver- induced limited visibility, is a major contributor to winter driving accidents. I am amazed at how many drivers cannot see out their front windshields because the snow from the hood they did not remove blows into heater air intake vents, melts, and then fogs up the front windshield and the heater is not warm enough to defog it, so they drive by hand-wiping a peephole to peer through while they drive down the street, or God forbid, at 70 MPH on the highway.
    GB detailer
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lonnie -

Who`s more at fault. The regular drivers that *can* but don`t clean their vehicles before getting on the freeway or the ones where you need to be careful with the trailer trucks and the ~sheets~ of potential hardpack that come off. I find them just as equal
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Two or 3 days ago saw a guy in a 90s civic going down a 30 mph road I drive on with his head out the window as he drove so he could see. Car was not cleared at all

Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What a Dumba#s

Post Thanks / Like

Two or 3 days ago saw a guy...
    That`s one of those "where`s a LEO when you need one" situations IMO.
    Likes Oneheadlite, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That`s one of those "where`s a LEO when you need one" situations IMO.
    That`s what we refer to as an "Insta-ticket". I will yank people over for that all day long. Too dangerous all the way around.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, as long as we are on the subject of winter, one of the problems I face is garage doors and garage door openers working in extreme cold, since my garage is unattached from the house. I have found that after a snowfall here in Wisconsin, the slush from the road salt-melted snow that accumulates on the bottom side door sills and wheel wells will drop brine (salt water) when the vehicle is driven into the garage. Most garage floors are sloped (inclined) to run excess water out the front of the garage where, as you might expect, is the garage door. I`ve learned to stop the vehicle BEFORE driving it into the garage and kick off the excess slush, especially those snow mountains that form in wheel wells behind tires. It`s just trying to prevent excess water from getting into the garage in the first place.
    I also have learned to spray the garage door track rollers and panel hinges with Tri-Flow Superior Lube AND inspect the chain drive and tighten it up if it seems too loose, (But not too tight!). Lastly, I have found a use for that old silicone tire shine that I do not use anymore on vehicles; I apply it to the bottom of garage door seal. Because there is still enough snow that will melt from the vehicle`s engine heat and the fore-mentioned road slush that water will form and run toward the garage door. While road salt works to about 0°F, when it`s below zero degrees Fahrenheit (like the Polar Vortex we are experiencing now in late January in Wisconsin) that water gets under the seal from opening and closing the garage door and then freezes, making the garage door motor work very hard or, in extreme cases, freeze shut. The silicone on the entire bottom seal makes it easier for the garage door to break free when it opens.

I have also found that powdery snow is a great absorber of that slush and brine and excess salt that forms on the garage floor in the winter when it is just too cold to use water. I just take a shovel full of it, spread it on the floor , and then sweep it out with a wide floor broom out the opened garage door. I also have a floor squeegee to squeegee-out any excess water that forms from the powdery snow that melts from the road salt residue. It works for me until warmer weather comes along (like mid-March!!), when I can wash out my garage floor with soap and water. This mid-winter cleaning tip really does help to get rid of the tracked-in road salt residue and brine, which can be hard on concrete garage floors
    GB detailer
    Likes Coleroad, SWETM liked this post

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information