Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gotta Love Winter...

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Yea it was 1F this morning, but luckily no wind. I wanted to get a hoagie and didn`t want to get the cars out so the only other option was the truck. Was thinking there was no way it was going to start, but somehow it did! As soon as I let out the clutch in neutral it stalled. The heck!? Turns out the transmission oil had thickened enough it was dragging it down that much. I had to literally slip the clutch slowly in neutral. It was almost 30 before I could get it in gear. Note to self, SAE 140 GL4 gear lube is not winter friendly!
    Yup, I had that experience myself where even in neutral, there was enough gear oil viscosity to move the car or stall the cold-started engine, when you let out the clutch. I also had it when it was almost impossible to move the shifter out of reverse gear (for those of you who do not know about manual transmissions, that it the gear you put it in to park the vehicle so it does not roll or move when you turn off the engine), the transmission gear oil was so thick like cold molasses. I wised up, and like you will be doing, changed over to 75W-90 gear oil.

I also had a bad experience with a batch of Quaker State motor oil that the winter viscosity additives was not blending into the oil. This was I think in about 1979 or `80 in some 10W-40 we used in all our family vehicles. Needless to say , NONE of the vehicles that sat outside in a cold Wisconsin January would even turn over, even with a jumper cables to boost the battery starting energy draw. I had to drain the oil out OUTSIDE, and when I removed the oil pan drain plug, it would not even flow!! It was like thin grease, literally. I put a screw driver in the drain hole, thinking it was just "frozen" or congealed at the hole, but no, it was the entire oil in the pan. Luckily I had a 150,000 BTU fuel-oil space heater (AKA Reddy Heater) at that time, so I placed it under the oil pan, heated up the oil enough so that I could start the vehicle, allow the engine heat to get the oil warm, and then change it along with the filter. I had THREE vehicles to do that it. Getting warm oil on your bare hands and fingers in -10°F weather was a recipe for instant frostbite and it was a throbbing-hurt like someone hit your fingers with a hammer when I went inside to warm up my hands. I repeated this THREE times that day, and yes, it was a cold, painful ordeal, not to mention the expense of 15 quarts of oil and 3 oil filters. I learned later that Quaker State suffered a class-action law suite filed by dealers because of this and replaced some engines, not to mention covering the cost of oil changes. I got nothing out of this financially from Quaker State, and my family still continued to use their oil for many years. I eventually switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic oil when it became more popular (like 1981 or 82) and never went back to conventional oils, even with the almost double-the-price over conventional motor oils. Is it worth it??? It is when your vehicle sits outside overnight like at work when it`s -25°F and it starts without drama or a lot of cold-engine noises.
    GB detailer
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly Quaker state was one of those using paraffin in their oil back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Yup, I had that experience myself where even in neutral, there was enough gear oil viscosity to move the car or stall the cold-started engine, when you let out the clutch. I also had it when it was almost impossible to move the shifter out of reverse gear (for those of you who do not know about manual transmissions, that it the gear you put it in to park the vehicle so it does not roll or move when you turn off the engine), the transmission gear oil was so thick like cold molasses. I wised up, and like you will be doing, changed over to 75W-90 gear oil.

I also had a bad experience with a batch of Quaker State motor oil that the winter viscosity additives was not blending into the oil. This was I think in about 1979 or `80 in some 10W-40 we used in all our family vehicles. Needless to say , NONE of the vehicles that sat outside in a cold Wisconsin January would even turn over, even with a jumper cables to boost the battery starting energy draw. I had to drain the oil out OUTSIDE, and when I removed the oil pan drain plug, it would not even flow!! It was like thin grease, literally. I put a screw driver in the drain hole, thinking it was just "frozen" or congealed at the hole, but no, it was the entire oil in the pan. Luckily I had a 150,000 BTU fuel-oil space heater (AKA Reddy Heater) at that time, so I placed it under the oil pan, heated up the oil enough so that I could start the vehicle, allow the engine heat to get the oil warm, and then change it along with the filter. I had THREE vehicles to do that it. Getting warm oil on your bare hands and fingers in -10°F weather was a recipe for instant frostbite and it was a throbbing-hurt like someone hit your fingers with a hammer when I went inside to warm up my hands. I repeated this THREE times that day, and yes, it was a cold, painful ordeal, not to mention the expense of 15 quarts of oil and 3 oil filters. I learned later that Quaker State suffered a class-action law suite filed by dealers because of this and replaced some engines, not to mention covering the cost of oil changes. I got nothing out of this financially from Quaker State, and my family still continued to use their oil for many years. I eventually switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic oil when it became more popular (like 1981 or 82) and never went back to conventional oils, even with the almost double-the-price over conventional motor oils. Is it worth it??? It is when your vehicle sits outside overnight like at work when it`s -25°F and it starts without drama or a lot of cold-engine noises.
    Yea it was definitely an oversight by me using a thicker than usual for the transmission. We haven`t had a cold winter in a while so I didn`t even think about it.

For the engine I always use a synthetic in everything. Even though it has 10w30 in it (the truck), it`s Pennzoil Platinum with a little bit of Rislone engine treatment for the noisy lifters. It will start up like nothing to my surprise. Right now I`m battling it warming up and staying there, if you start going down the mountain (no load, but in gear) the temperature gauge will drop fast. Right now I have a cover over the grille and it works really well actually. It really looks like a beater with that, a smashed up bumper, and taped in passenger side marker light. Oh well... It has a new thermostat, but not an OEM brand. I`ve been reading people have trouble with anything other than the OEM ACDelco, so once it warms up I`ll be swapping it.

This week will be nasty cold (for us) Wednesday night is going to be down to -1F. Definitely going to take advantage of the GTI`s heated seats Thursday morning leaving work. When you cold start it in extreme cold the clatter of the direct injectors sounds like a tractor. I got a couple odd looks from my coworkers. I was running Castrol Edge 0W40 in it previously, but the dealer put in Pennzoil Euro 5w40 in it and I can definitely tell a difference in how long it takes to get oil temp.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie whats your forecast for Wednesday (temp and wind chill temp)? I saw Chicago is -20 over night and -11 for day time high forecast. With predicted winds they should be 30-60 below zero wind chills.

Post Thanks / Like

I moving to the equator...
    38 degrees this am
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I moving to the equator...
    38 degrees this am
    can I come along

Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Snowing here again this morning.

Gotta Love Winter...-img_0318.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Color-Snowstorm-indicators.jpg

Another Arctic chill hitting Tuesday night thru Friday. Lows at night are going to be -7.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes trashmanssd, Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post

Another Arctic chill hitting Tuesday night thru Friday. Lows at night are going to be -7.
    Yup, not looking forward to it at all! Luckily I`ll be off for the coldest part of it. I actually just removed the air conditioner in my window. I haven`t used it, but it hasn`t been cold enough in the past years to deem removing it. Been cold enough recently that too much was leaking into the room I couldn`t take it! Stay warm Dave!
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Lonnie whats your forecast for Wednesday (temp and wind chill temp)? I saw Chicago is -20 over night and -11 for day time high forecast. With predicted winds they should be 30-60 below zero wind chills.
    As of Monday morning, EVERYTHING is closed down in the Green bay area except for essential services, as we have about 8-10" of snow, with 20-30 MPH wind gusts. I shoveled this morning starting at 5:00AM (5 driveways for my neighbors) and there was about 4". Not too bad temperature wise; about 15°F, but it is now dropping.
    The new Wisconsin Governor, Democrat Tony Evers, has issued a Statewide State of Emergency for both the snow and impending artic cold, meaning the National Guard is alert in case they are needed.

Forecasted temperatures for Wed morning should be about -20°F, but winds at 15-20 MPH will produce Wind Chill Index (WCI) temps to about -40°F to -45°F for that morning. We expect schools and other places to be closed down again!. Predicted High Temp for Wed is -7°F. It should "moderate" by Thursday to -25°F to -30°F WCI, which may close schools again.
    What is REALLY funny is we should be 30°F to 40°F on Saturday, but with the threat of Freezing Rain!!! I`ll take sub-zero and snow over ice anytime.

Someone asked what frostbite is like. I`ve had the unpleasant experience of changing motor oil at -10°F as a young adult (see above post) and getting warm oil on your bare hand and fingers produces almost instant frostbite due to the evaporation from a petroleum liquid. Going inside to warm up it felt like someone took a hammer and hit your fingers as they thaw out and throb, almost making you throw up, the pain is so intense. Takes about 5 minutes for the pain to go away.
    GB detailer
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks trashmanssd thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to share some results from a big test done on a lot of winter tires. Mostly in Sweden we have studded winter tires. But the nonstudded winter tires has developed fast the last couple of years. So I would say that all depends on the preference you want from a winter tire. The test is done on dry asphalt and wet asphalt and snow roads and ice roads. And it was done on a big testing facility in northern Finland. They have even a big inside test driving facility which is climate controlled with all the test road conditions available. If the wheather not allows to do the testing outside. They drive VW Golf and switch tires on it and it`s blind tested so they don`t know which winter tires is on the car.

If you want to be safe and in as much control as possible on the worse winter roads which is slippery ice roads. Then get a well known studded winter tire. As there is no compete to winter tires without the studded ones. If you can`t have them or not being able to get them. Here is 3 winter tires that are great. Actually the Continental ContiVikingContact 7 was rated as good on ice roads. This is the first time this kind of winter tires has gotten that rating from this tester. I see Blizzaks have a great knowledge here. It`s gets in 5th place and is a good winter tire. How they reacts and is able to control is good on all roads conditions. It`s a little too good of a grip so when doing fast turning it gets understeered and has problems on wet roads with brake distance is too long. It`s rolling easy so mpg is great and it`s one of the best on dry asphalt roads. Goodyear and Nokian I took with as they are easy drived with good results on all roads. Pirelli Ice Zero FR was one that did very good in some parts and is very fast with good grip. But it behaves more aggressive when going over the edge of what it can do. So needs a very experienced driver to control it. The top three I wrote up is easy to handle and is predictable.

Continental ContiVikingContact 7 score 7,9
    Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice 2 score 7,6
    Nokian Hakkapelliitan R3 7,4
    Bridgestone Blizzaks WS80 7,2

What`s new this year in the studded winter tires is that Michelin is back on the top spot with there new X-Ice North 4. They completly missread the new regulation about how many studds it where the max to have for 5 years ago. And has taken this 5 years to catch up in development and has been sidestepped by other brands. They thought the regulation told to be used around 90 per tire. But it was the sound level that was at the 90 studds that you don`t was to getting over. But know they are back on the top and put the king of studded winter tires Continental IceContact 2 down to second place with 8,5 points to Michelin 8,7 points. And this points is to be compared to the nonstudded winter tires score points.

This is the top 5 studded winter tires

Michelin X-Ice North 4 8,7 points
    Continental IceContact 2 8,5
    Hancook Winter I Pike RS2 8,4
    Nokian Hakkapelliitan 9 8,4
    Bridgestone Noranza 001 8,1

Last place for reference
    Studded
    Cooper Weather-Masters WSC 6,8
    Regualar winter tires last place
    Linglong Winter Max I 15 6,6

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

SWETM- Are studded tires better on dry/wet (no ice/snow) roads than they used to be? The last time I drove on them they were simply dangerous unless dealing with serious winter weather.

Lonnie- Hey, that was bright and early to be doing your neighbors` drives! Good on you for that...sheesh, you get some real Winter Weather up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    SWETM- Are studded tires better on dry/wet (no ice/snow) roads than they used to be? The last time I drove on them they were simply dangerous unless dealing with serious winter weather.
    I remember as a kid seeing the sparks you`d occasionally get when spinning studded tires on dry pavement.

Some cities in the US no longer allow studs due to how bad they tear up the roads. Snow tires are required/encouraged...just minus the studs.

Post Thanks / Like

Ten states don`t allow any studded tires. 7 states have no restrictions on studded tires. 33 states have restrictions on studded tires either/and/ or seasonally or type of stud (i.e. Rubber ones).
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Lonnie- Hey, that was bright and early to be doing your neighbors` drives! Good on you for that...sheesh, you get some real Winter Weather up there.
    Absolutely they have developed them to work better on the dry/wet roads too know. The noise is higher of course between them. But it`s impresive that so many more studds per tire is working so good on dry/wet roads too. The last placed Cooper has 84 studds per tire and the above that Goodyear has 130. Then on the top tier has 190 then comes Michelin with whooping 250 on each tires.

The one thing to be carefull with is when temperature is rising. Cause not will it be only wearing faster but the behavior change to bad. And this is for the winter tires with the snowflake on it. The same is it with the other way around if you drive with summer tires and all season tires with the rubber compound build up close to a summer tire on snow roads especially. They gets warm to get better traction and last longer in the summer. But they also want to produce heat in the cold weather too. Driving on snow roads the snow can be that it`s getting warmer and build up in the wheel wells. And if you drive a little longer it can build up so much that the springs can not move. This can end in a disaster since the traction is almost completly gone when this happens. I did this once with the S4 I had. It was not fun to rescue the slides I got from only drive in 30mph. Had to throttle it up to steer it up. Then slowly lessen the throttle until I was almost standing still. It has happened once more with my first car which was rwd and those rear wheel wells got full of snow and the car was not being able to drive before I took some snow away in there. So useing summer tires year around with haveing ice roads and snow roads is just insane IMO. The winter tires with the snowflake on it. You can lower the speed to have control at least. With great studded winter tires you have a safety on ice roads that is awesome. Then when all comes around it`s the speed that kills and if the distance is to close to the next car infront of you. And the that drives like it`s summer dry roads or are just stupid drivers.

Sorry for getting carried away. But with this weather hitting the southern Sweden and you read on the news when fatal accidents happens more. It`s sad that some people is in hurry to get to places and risk that they are not getting there at all and worst case not getting anywhere ever again.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information