Post Thanks / Like

2018-19 BMW X2 w/M package?

No, no...not for us. Neither my wife nor I would be caught dead in one. But my BFF is, inexplicably IMO, considering trading in her (almost broken-in, nearly paid for) Grand Cherokee on one of them (leased no less).

Anybody got anything good/bad to say about the things? Other than No Jet Black

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018-19 BMW X2 w/M package?

Personally i just don`t like the poor reliability of the BMWs. They are over engineered (just like the late world war 2 german tanks), expensive to maintain (once out of warranty) and are very boring on the inside (just compare audis and new mercs). On the positive side they drive well (that has slipped with the current 3 and front wheel drive models) and have great engines and ZF transmissions in them (no cvt as yet). Here in Australia, the hot and humid weather esp in the northern part of the country kills their plastic radiators and cheap plastic hoses after 5 years. Bmw knows this and provides one of the shortest warranties in the market (flat 3 years), where the norm these days here is 5 years. On top of this we pay through the roof for mercs, audis and bmws here Eg the cheapest 3 series here is 318 (not sold in usa due to underpowered engine) is 60k aud or just shy of 50k usd. The cheapest x5 is just over 95k and again its a model not sold in the usa due to povo engine. The base usa model is over 105k here. For that money and considering what you get IMO the BMWs are way overrated.

Cheers

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll take the flip side of PoweredByJenga`s point. I`ve owned my 2008 535i for 11 years this Christmas. Outside of normal maintenance, I`ve only had to replace a water pump.

I`m in the process of moving South so I`m selling the 535i before I leave. I`ll be buying a 2019 BMW X3 M40i which I just test drove again today. I plan on taking a Performance Center delivery in Spartanburg, South Carolina. I looked at the MB GLC line but in order to get the power of the M40i, you have to get the AMG package which really jacks up the price. I love the look of the Audi, but the VW gene pool scares me a bit to much. TheX3 M40i clocks in at 4.6 seconds for zero to 60. So boring it is for me.

X3 M40i @ Willow Springs Track Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ncofxAMpiAE
    Likes Stokdgs, The Driver, RaydiantDetail liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

SGM - I really like the X2 and X3`s ! Had the X5 but now its supersized, no likey, no needey..

Bet you are going to love your new ride !!

Thanks for video - loved everything except that screaming, girly-man driving the car..

I also vote for BMW as a great car !
    Have had 5, - 3 new ones, 2 used ones..
    All of them = incredible rides...
    All of them = completely reliable.. Never had issues, never left me stranded..
    All of them had the best lights for nighttime driving.. They went way, way, down the road... Self leveling too..

The 2003 540iT M5 Wagon Clone, Dinan Tuned, - totally the most enjoyable; even more than the new X5..

All German cars require maintenance - all of them -
    All vehicles require maintenance, it is just easier to ignore maintenance on other vehicles until it is necessary..

And even with all that "extra" maintenance, it is nothing when compared to the maintenance cost on a Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc...
    If you don`t like that part, get a Honda, Toyota, etc..
    Dan F
    BMW CCA Member 194648, since 2000..
    Likes SGM2008, mumps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed. The current X5 is more somewhere like a 5.5 piggish.
    The X3M is nice. Not alot of cargo but it more in line in size in DRIVE from what one expects when I think of 5

Post Thanks / Like

TL,DR: Expectations, use/length of ownership, and maintenance are key factors.

So, I feel like I bang on too much about my day job, but I mention it again only to understand I`m coming from the... slightly cynical side of the coin based on my experiences. Arguably I`m prone to see the problems more than most might since I`m in the repair business, but I can still at least speak to trends I see.

My knee jerk response is it`d be a great car to own under warranty. Trying to be not be so negative, I would ask what her plans/expectations for ownership are? If she`s planning on keeping it only till about 60,000 miles/6ish years or so, then I`d be willing to bet ownership would be easy. Beyond that, is she comfortable with German car maintenance as others have mentioned?

I`m foolishly optimistic that if these cars were maintained to better standards that they`d have less issues, but I have limited proof to back that hope. Too often our customers are picking the cars up second hand where it seems the first person treated the car as a disposable, thus not doing any upkeep.

Disclaimer - my experience is based off of the cars I see come through here, which tend to be starting at about 3 years old. I can`t speak directly of the newest new stuff, though I do have a good friend at the Blue and White dealership who fills me in on what they`re seeing there. Couple observations I have had lately is that I worry about their interior quality - Had a `14 X3 recently where you could see horizontally under the center console wood trim (if you looked in through the door opening across to the other side) as it was shrinking/lifting. I`ve also seen a few where the covering of the glovebox door was peeling away in a surprising manner.

I was reluctant to reply here as I feel I always come off so negative on this stuff, and here I`ve gone again... *facepalm*
    Likes MattPersman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about it, I feel kinda like the Ghost of Christmas Future - What I`m seeing isn`t necessarily certain to happen, but it`s definitely a possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally am not a fan of new BMW`s, I think after the market crashed in 08 their quality has gone way down. They really use sub-par materials Ie plastics were there should be aluminum or composites. My friend had an 08 335i and when I compare the build quality of that to newer 13-14 335`s it`s night an day. The older BMW`s are the ones I truly love (E30`s, E46 etc.) I refuse to buy any of these newer ones except maybe an M2. BMW has really lost it`s way and for the price it`s definitely off my radar...

A friend of mine picked up an 18 M3 for 88k, sorry but a 3 series with alot of tech an power will never warrants that kind of a number. The other thing is people overlook how amazing the feeling is to have a car paid off, no debt!
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    So, I feel like I bang on too much about my day job
    Please don`t ever feel that way.
    Likes The Driver liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I share many of the sentiments posted and appreciate all the replies.

Just FWIW, after doing the Skip Barber BMW School I had M3s (e30 and e36) for quite a while, and while I an appreciate a few others, I have absolutely zero interest in the new Bimmers of any kind. If I were shopping for a CUV, or any vehicle, it`d be something completely different.

Sounds like nobody has any specific caveats about the newest X2, at least nothing that oughta matter through a lease period. I bet she`ll get it and then just keep leasing stuff for the rest of her life....OK, whatever makes her happy. This is not a Car Person, just somebody who wants to drive something she likes without ever having to care about it. Spousal input might be factoring in too

I just didn`t want to sit idly by while she got into something that`s known to be trouble, so I figured I`d better ask here.

Thread Information