Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts on New Camry ?

The best cars I`ve ever used were the Chevys. The square ones and the whales ,too. They had a ton of room in them and were much more durable than the Fords.

The current rage of SUV`s for PD use is just asinine. Try to get a prisoner into or out of one. You can`t put him in feet-first. You have to lift him up to get him in, which is MUCH more difficult when he doesn`t want get in.

Getting him out is a joy,too. Since he`s higher up, he can more easily kick you.

Big departments are arresting people constantly and you find out real quick what works and what doesn`t.

The chiefs love them, though. They never lock anyone up. What makes life difficult for the troops doesn`t matter to them.
    Likes Dan, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Older- Yeah, the uhm....mode of service...can make all the difference. I`ve never had balljoint/evap line/etc. issues with mine, but can sure understand why they`d happen (such stuff simply *kills* other LE vehicles, at least you can fix the CVs). The current car was a DoJ/BoP car out of Texas (found a service receipt behind the glovebox during my new-to-me inspection), got it with <20K and no bad history, just lots of stonechips (and some bad repainting related to same) from the limestone access roads at the Club Fed. Yeah, it`s a real ringer, took me over three years to find it..exactly the one I always wanted.

Heh heh, sounds like you had to "just get by" when it came to winter; here the LEOs get 4 snows on the sedans (but not the new AWD SUVs).

Yeah, big long-wheelbase cars can be great in the snow, but I don`t drive my P71 in the salt, no real reason to and I`m keeping it in "never driven in salt" condition. I don`t want rust, even surface rust, to get going down there.
    I`ve had cars with rust-holes in the floor. Those were the Fords. I can understand your concern with rust.

Post Thanks / Like

Older- Yeah, I agree on all counts.

And yeah, the Chevy 9C1s (my fave was the `95) were *wonderful* cars, I loved `em. I do find the oe brakes on the Fords better though, the ABS is much more sophisticated and can do stuff that humans simply can`t (despite what some people think they can do ).

Good observation about the Prisoner Transport issues with the SUVs, I never thought of that...oh man, the [stuff] LEOs have to deal with!

Back on-topic...the Crown Vics do tie in to the discussion of the Camry because they`re an underappreciated car that does most things better than most drivers could ever dream of doing and (absent real abuse) they just keep on ticking. As the guy said, "it`s not about the bike". When some vehicle "isn`t enough" for somebody, I usually kinda chuckle.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Thoughts on New Camry ?

Older- Yeah, I agree on all counts.

And yeah, the Chevy 9C1s (my fave was the `95) were *wonderful* cars, I loved `em. I do find the oe brakes on the Fords better though, the ABS is much more sophisticated and can do stuff that humans simply can`t (despite what some people think they can do ).

Good observation about the Prisoner Transport issues with the SUVs, I never thought of that...oh man, the [stuff] LEOs have to deal with!

Back on-topic...the Crown Vics do tie in to the discussion of the Camry because they`re an underappreciated car that does most things better than most drivers could ever dream of doing and (absent real abuse) they just keep on ticking. As the guy said, "it`s not about the bike". When some vehicle "isn`t enough" for somebody, I usually kinda chuckle.
    I had a 1984 Mercury Marquis sedan that I drove to work from 1992-1998. As I was working in the hood,I couldn’t drive anything nice. We had to park on the street,sometimes 2-3 blocks away from the station. Heck,I used to leave the doors open so the windows wouldn’t get broken.

That car was enough for me. And there’s a certain freedom that comes with not obsessing about having the latest,greatest thing.

I am spoiled now,however.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    .. there’s a certain freedom that comes with not obsessing about having the latest,greatest thing.

I am spoiled now,however.
    I`m spoiled too, to say the least but yeah...my Crown Vic is my "just take/park it anywhere for however long" car and sometimes it`s nice to Just Not Worry about the car.

IMO the "newest" isn`t the "greatest", though I`d like to mix and match stuff between today`s cars and older ones..RestoMod/etc. is kinda appealing.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m spoiled too, to say the least but yeah...my Crown Vic is my "just take/park it anywhere for however long" car and sometimes it`s nice to Just Not Worry about the car.

IMO the "newest" isn`t the "greatest", though I`d like to mix and match stuff between today`s cars and older ones..RestoMod/etc. is kinda appealing.
    I like the restomods too. I want the look of a classic with the ride and amenities of a newer car. Im old enough to remember how bad sports and muscle cars actually were in the 60’s and 70’s. Especially old Vettes, bone jarring rattle traps, but great styling.

Post Thanks / Like

rlmccarty2000- Yeah, my mother drove some of the now-sacred Muscle Cars when they were new, and they were absolute POS in many ways. The ones I then bought used weren`t nearly as fun as I`d expected either. Eh, to each their own...but I`m over `em.

Post Thanks / Like

Does any one have any updates on the Camry? More owner stories and such. I started this thread about 1 1/2 years ago. I am thinking about car shopping again. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Honda Accord, C&D 10 Best 2020. I personally can never warm up to Toyota’s but obviously they’re not hurting because of me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information