Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Battery float chargers - CTEK vs. NOCO vs. others

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Since the number of cars around me seems to be...er...accumulating,..
    Heh heh heh

Even with all my chargers (and fewer cars), I got careless and let the Crown Vic sit without one for so long that I had to buy it a new battery Sigh, note to self...

Post Thanks / Like

I`m having good luck with the MXS 5 so far. Hard for me to actually discern or identify a difference between that and my previous MUS 4.3, to be honest. (The newer unit does look better on paper.)
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

I`m thinking of going with the "little brother" MULTI US 3300...looks about $20 cheaper than the MXS 5.0. I don`t know why they took the waveforms off the front of the MXS vs. the MUS, of course, who could figure out what was going on without looking at the manual, I guess. Maybe 4 steps will make my brain hurt less than 4 steps.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had a ctek on my season vehicles since 2011 and they have worked perfectly for me.

I think it’s extended the battery life and keep me out of trouble. I change batteries at 5 years no matter what. Too many electronics to let it crash the computers. Rather do it on my terms then at a random moment that can be away from home, in the rain or snow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    ...forgot to mention, I`ll probably use FK1000p to keep whichever charger I end up with free of any bonded contaminants. Just in case you were worried...
    I just used the Big White on a new SS BBQ last weekend... it worked stupendously well. The solvents cleaned and left the SS looking sharp as ````!

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, well...I`m not FKing my chargers, but I did debate using TTG+ on that new battery before just SprayWaxing it. I still might pull the battery back out and using it on the tray though...bugs me that it isn`t done right even though it does look OK with just the UQW.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two Ctek`s, one for my lithium battery and one for the AGM`s. It`s not that AGM`s have a low discharge rate, it`s that some vehicles have a significant amount of parasitic draw, even when dormant for weeks. Our SLK 55 AMG loves to draw down, even weeks without being touched.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Project Farm on YouTube did a comparison of Noco vs other jump starters (not your question, I know) and Noco came in almost last behind some really dodgy brands. I`ve been looking side-eyed at my Noco trickle charger ever since.

I`ve also been trying out solar battery chargers. Battery Tender and others make those; I cobbled together a kit from parts on Amazon that were actually available to ship.

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to put this out there as I only see a few speak of the Battery Tender brand. I have a Battery Tender Jr. that helped me recover a completely dead 3.5 yr old Optima Red Top that has seen three Texas summers, besides CTek, and a couple of other brands, it is dirt cheap and very reliable. It has been dropped, had moisture ingress, and been used in high temperatures, hasn`t skipped a beat. So far, the recovered 3.5 yr old Red Top is holding its charge quite nicely, completely hooked up to the GS300 that hasn`t been started in a week.

I am not sure who knows how to recover dead AGM`s, but this source lays out the process quite simply: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH_ePyojQHM

Money no object, I would have a CTek and a couple of different options for different situations.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Battery Tenders but have had to replace them in the past. Thankfully they’re cheap enough. I wish there was some warning when they die, kinda like batteries themselves.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I have Battery Tenders but have had to replace them in the past. Thankfully they’re cheap enough. I wish there was some warning when they die, kinda like batteries themselves.
    Really? I haven`t heard much about people needing to replace them, but I have heard many comment about how they think the Battery Tender is broken when in reality the battery that the BT is hooked up to has a charge of less than ten or eleven volts. To my knowledge, if I am remembering correctly, most BT`s wont charge a battery with a voltage of less than 11v. I am not saying you`re wrong, and I appreciate your comment as I will now be keeping a closer eye on my Battery Tender Jr. Thankfully they are cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know if the BT Jrs die the same way as my BTs did but it’s worth keeping an eye on. Because they are reasonably cheap I don’t mind having to replace them sometimes if necessary. I do desperately need them at all times, batteries lasting only two years down here is commonplace.

I have a feeling I’m going to have to buy new batteries for two of my cars coming up soon. I had to replace the one in my daily driver just two months ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I don’t know if the BT Jrs die the same way as my BTs did but it’s worth keeping an eye on. Because they are reasonably cheap I don’t mind having to replace them sometimes if necessary. I do desperately need them at all times, batteries lasting only two years down here is commonplace.

I have a feeling I’m going to have to buy new batteries for two of my cars coming up soon. I had to replace the one in my daily driver just two months ago.

Are these vehicles sitting due to stay-at-home order?

Post Thanks / Like

Two of the three sit all the time but my driver still only has batteries that last two years. Must be due to the Florida heat.

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta say that I have not noticed any diff in performance between my Battery Tenders and the really cheap HF knockoffs. No, I`m not putting one of those HF ones on the S8, but none of the other vehicles, or the yard equip seem to mind them at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information