Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Battery float chargers - CTEK vs. NOCO vs. others

For various reasons I`ve had a battery maintenance charger (e.g. a 1-2A variety that you can leave on indefinitely on a seasonal vehicle (why I originally purchased it 15+ years ago) or use overnight to keep a battery topped up).

For various reasons, I feel like getting an updated one. I`d like a little faster (like 4-5A) since my vehicle (BMW F10) tends to let state-of-charge drop and my trips are fairly short. I`d like something designed for AGM batteries since that`s probably all I`m going to have from here on out. I intend to have this relatively easy to hook up overnight a few times a week especially in winter. Instead of being a chore so I`d like to make a better quick connect harness I can leave somewhere convenient near the wipers or something, thus a "common" QC design or a line of accessories will help me make or purchase a QC to wire in that works for my vehicle. CTEK seems to have a good selection of "add ons" too - wall mounts, bumpers, eyelet cables in different lengths with different size eyelets, cig lighter, QC extension cables, cold weather cables with greater flexibility etc... Although with a standard QC, I could make most things myself if I felt like it.

On my list of considerations are CTEK MUS or MXS units (they don`t describe the difference between them very well) and NOCO Genius.

In my market a CTEK or NOCO is going to be around $80-120 depending on exactly what I choose.

So, lo and behold, my last time at Costco they had an Energizer branded, made by Intertek "4A 9-step smart charger with LCD display" for, like, $25.
    It`s this: https://www.energizerpower.com/product/enc4a/

The instruction manual has some translation errors, but it does 2A/4A, 6V/12V, detects sulphated batteries and runs a desulphation program (although it appears you cannot put it in that mode manually which is a bummer to me), and documents fancy-pants graphs (included below) regarding their 9-steps, pulse charging, bulk charging etc... To be honest, it all sounds very much like CTEK and NOCO, but google finds me no one actually comparing these chargers to anything else.

Battery float chargers - CTEK vs. NOCO vs. others-2018-10-24-15_32_23-enc4a-manual.pdf.png

So, I`m wondering - is this a case where I can get 85% of the functionality for 25% of the price and I should take the "Energizer" charger from Costco? Or is there some clear superiority to either CTEK or NOCO? I realize that simply having a charger and using it semi-regularly puts me ahead of 95% of the folks out there. I don`t see any indication of an AGM mode, but it has a "cold mode" which I believe boosts target voltage from 14.6VDC to 14.8VDC which is the AGM max. CTEK talks about sensing high and low temperatures and adapting it`s charging, and has a dedicated AGM mode. ...or is that all just marketing?

I`m open to opinions on CTEK vs NOCO, or any other brands for that matter.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information