Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Kia stinger detailing experience

So I decided for my next car to go with a Kia... yeah never thought i`d say that. I was pretty nervous when it came off the truck for delivery as i`d been to several dealerships and their stingers were swirled to hell. I mean it was so sad to see the condition some of the beautiful cars were in. I even brought it up to the people there, I asked how are they washing these cars and said, "oh yeah the car wash guys just takes a towel and rubs off all the dust every few days..." wow.

I was happy to see mine didn`t seem to have any swirl marks or marring, so I appreciate the basic car the detailing guy at this dealership had with it. Yet... the car was loaded with contaminates. My previous car a Golf R, I picked up with 6 miles on it. I don`t think the entire car had this much crap on the paint, as this car showed with HALF the hood.

I kinda became scared, took several passes with claybar and ironx before I felt I was making good progress.

Went with kamikaze coatings. MIyabi stupid easy to apply, basically idiot proof. ISM was a bit more grabby, definitely thicker, little more work to remove but not bad.

quick vid of some of the hydrophobic abilities.

Overall i`m pleased. Put gyeon rim on as well which was pretty easy. I was and still am stunned by the amount of contaminates on the paint... for a car which had less than 10 miles on it.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kia stinger detailing experience

Scharnhorst310 --
    Congrats on the new, beautiful, car !!
    Looks great !!
    I assume you did not do anything else to the paint besides the claybar and iron-x, correct ?
    No paint work with a machine, right ?

I think some vehicles get more iron gunk embedded on them if they are transported on those open rail cars...
    Think about it , iron wheels scraping on iron tracks for miles, what is going to be thrown up into the air??

Glad you could get all that contamination off - looks like you did a great job with the coatings..

I have read a lot of complimentary articles on this car in magazines, etc., hope yours is all that and more !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to your new car! Looking awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Isn’t made in Korea or Russia? That means boat then train or open car carrier to a holding lot somewhere where it might sit for months. Then finally off to a dealer where it could sit before being dealer traded or sold. So contaminates are likely. Some vehicles come with full coverage on the vehicle like Audi some have plastic like VW and some FCA products, etc. all this preserves the paint but most dealers pull it off on PDI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

365HP TT V6 and RWD out of a Kia, whaaa? I would probably take a look at one of those too!
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Scharnhorst310 --
    Congrats on the new, beautiful, car !!
    Looks great !!
    I assume you did not do anything else to the paint besides the claybar and iron-x, correct ?
    No paint work with a machine, right ?

I think some vehicles get more iron gunk embedded on them if they are transported on those open rail cars...
    Think about it , iron wheels scraping on iron tracks for miles, what is that going to throw up into the air??

Glad you could get all that contamination off - looks like you did a great job with the coatings..

I have read a lot of complimentary articles on this car in magazines, etc., hope yours is all that and more !
    Dan F
    Correct, i went over the car and to my astonishment I couldn`t really find any imperfections that I felt required pulling out my flex 3401 for. Perhaps with the amount of contaminates it might have been prudent to use a light finishing polish just to be sure, but by the end clay bar + ironx seemed to have removed the vast majority of the junk.

It could have been transportation. I also noticed a lot of pollen (yellow like dust) in all the cracks and crevices of the car. We don`t get anything like that much pollen here, but I got this car from auburn alabama which may have more of an issue with that. I know it was sitting outside for 2 weeks... impossible to find an enclosed truck to come and pick it up. That actually ended up being the most difficult thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    365HP TT V6 and RWD out of a Kia, whaaa? I would probably take a look at one of those too!
    I`m coming from a 2016 Golf R. There are definitely some things I miss, the R was like a Go-Kart, just unreal the nimbleness... but the stinger`s power, rwd, and interior are just too good. They also have some tremendous deals which given the car is already a bargain at 50k compared to most competitors, near 40k where I got it for a gt2 is an outright steal. The one thing I that is above all obvious about the car once you have it and driven semi hard like I have, is that it isn`t a sports car. Because of the pricing many people who`ve never driven real sports cars, or who are coming from more traditional luxury type cars tend to think of it with its stats as a sports car... it ain`t. It handles well but not a canyon carver. It just weighs too much, and the suspension too soft. It is a fantastic grand tourer.

Will say I enjoy having all that torque come on at 1300 rpm. The R was a blast but you just didn`t have a whole lot there until 2500-3000 RPM. Made for some interesting moments in around town driving, which is why I tell people unless you are going to track the GTI is all around better. That being said the R also held its value to an absurd level, paid 38k for it, put 15k miles and sold it for 33k.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Isn’t made in Korea or Russia? That means boat then train or open car carrier to a holding lot somewhere where it might sit for months. Then finally off to a dealer where it could sit before being dealer traded or sold. So contaminates are likely. Some vehicles come with full coverage on the vehicle like Audi some have plastic like VW and some FCA products, etc. all this preserves the paint but most dealers pull it off on PDI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Correct made in Korea. I figured all car manufacturers put that plastic stuff on the cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new ride! It looks awesome! It is a super great looking car...even more so after you got done with it! Well done!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Congrats on the new ride! It looks awesome! It is a super great looking car...even more so after you got done with it! Well done!
    Thank you! You do amazing work. I see you put 22ple Finitura on some of the vehicles you do. There just isn`t a whole lot of info out there on that stuff. I`m looking for my next topper purchase and few good choices on there. I like 22ple as all the products i`ve tried have been great, hpc, vs1, vx3, and vr1. I`m just not sure what to make of finitura, it seems more like a coating than a traditional topper. I`ve been looking more along the lines of overcoat and cosmic spritz seems capable as well. What do you make of finitura?
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice car and excellent job. I’m still on the fence about the Kia’s styling, but big HP and rear wheel drive sounds like fun. I wish I could have bought that R from you. It’s damn near impossible to find a used one and $33k sounds good. I’ve got new (to me) car fever and the R is on my short list of cars to buy. Enjoy your new ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Nice car and excellent job. I’m still on the fence about the Kia’s styling, but big HP and rear wheel drive sounds like fun. I wish I could have bought that R from you. It’s damn near impossible to find a used one and $33k sounds good. I’ve got new (to me) car fever and the R is on my short list of cars to buy. Enjoy your new ride!
    It really is an amazing car. I keep in touch with the guy who bought it who is a Porsche fanatic, and he absolutely loves it. I have nothing but nice things to say about that car, the amount of crap i could fit in it, while at the same time having amazing awd and handling... a blend of so many great qualities. Even though the stinger has a pretty good transmission, i miss the dsg.

The stinger is a funny car to me. I really like the interior, but some of the styling stuff can be a bit much. The R was just that german understated but solid look. I do find it entertaining with the stinger the amount of times i`m stopped by people who want to know what the hell it is. The R didn`t garner nearly that much attention, only a few car enthusiasts ever noticed it. I was really torn about getting rid of it, thought i`d just give up my other beater car and keep it...

I had an SRT Magnum before the R which I loved (i`m big on wagons), and the stinger feels more similar to that, than to the R. That was the most shocking discovery of living with the stinger so far.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst310 View Post
    Thank you! You do amazing work. I see you put 22ple Finitura on some of the vehicles you do. There just isn`t a whole lot of info out there on that stuff. I`m looking for my next topper purchase and few good choices on there. I like 22ple as all the products i`ve tried have been great, hpc, vs1, vx3, and vr1. I`m just not sure what to make of finitura, it seems more like a coating than a traditional topper. I`ve been looking more along the lines of overcoat and cosmic spritz seems capable as well. What do you make of finitura?

Thank you! I use it as a topper on their coatings as a hedge against water spotting. I haven`t yet, but have seen people use it as a stand alone LSP with great results. I`ll have to do a test myself and let ya know how it is as a stand alone!

And...I would like to see, as I`m sure of everyone else too, some more pics of your new ride, including the interior! It really is a great looking car!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The car looks great. Kia is definitely making a name for themselves with that car. I want to ask you about the paint. A lot of companies have that color and a green color with no metallic that has a sillier look. I still haven`t seen one up close, but from a distance it always looks like they are almost free of orange peel. It almost looks like a different kind of paint. I assume it`s just an optical illusion. How it the orange peel on that car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Thank you! I use it as a topper on their coatings as a hedge against water spotting. I haven`t yet, but have seen people use it as a stand alone LSP with great results. I`ll have to do a test myself and let ya know how it is as a stand alone!

And...I would like to see, as I`m sure of everyone else too, some more pics of your new ride, including the interior! It really is a great looking car!
    I don`t have a lot to show, unfortunately I don`t drive it very much. I`m in this interesting position with KIA and getting the car registered in California. Between dealing with them and the DMV I think I need to lose a few brain cells before it all starts to make sense what the hold up is. For right now it just gets to sit and chill.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    The car looks great. Kia is definitely making a name for themselves with that car. I want to ask you about the paint. A lot of companies have that color and a green color with no metallic that has a sillier look. I still haven`t seen one up close, but from a distance it always looks like they are almost free of orange peel. It almost looks like a different kind of paint. I assume it`s just an optical illusion. How it the orange peel on that car?
    Hmm good point I can`t recall seeing any orange peel on it. I`ll definitely do a closer inspection and some more up close photos to see. Audi has a similar gray as well which i`ve not been able to see any orange peel on that car the few times I`ve seen it. I will say it has a more metallic finish than the audi, and it some lights a fairly prominent blueish hue to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst310 View Post

Hmm good point I can`t recall seeing any orange peel on it. I`ll definitely do a closer inspection and some more up close photos to see. Audi has a similar gray as well which i`ve not been able to see any orange peel on that car the few times I`ve seen it. I will say it has a more metallic finish than the audi, and it some lights a fairly prominent blueish hue to it.
    I look forward to seeing the close ups. I`ve tried to get close enough to a few of them to get a good look, I can just never manage to get close enough. could just go to a dealership and check one out. lol

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

Have him keep an eye out for chipping on the hood and leading edges. Seems to be a slight to moderate concern on the various forums and growing as the car begins to sell a few more units each month.

Nice work BTW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information