Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kia stinger detailing experience

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Have him keep an eye out for chipping on the hood and leading edges. Seems to be a slight to moderate concern on the various forums and growing as the car begins to sell a few more units each month.

Nice work BTW!
    Yep well aware. So far so good though. It is a particularly odd issue as they happen on some people`s car but not others... same build date, same color, etc. Also the blue and yellow are the two big colors that have the issue. Apparently KIA put out a stop sell in the US on the blue for this reason.

The cool thing is Kia seems very concerted about handling their Stinger owners well. Not just on this issue, but anytime i`ve spoke to them and its a stinger the whole mannerism changes a bit, the free headphones and booklets, the ton of extra little gear they send me in the mail welcoming to the stinger club, etc etc etc.

It will be very interesting to see how this paint issue plays out though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I look forward to seeing the close ups. I`ve tried to get close enough to a few of them to get a good look, I can just never manage to get close enough. could just go to a dealership and check one out. lol
    Best I could do, you can see it in the light edges

Can also see where some of the paint is rubbing off near the headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Car looks amazing. I have seriously been debating trading in my current Sonata turbo for the Stinger. It just looks all around great and from all the reviews the price/ performance can`t be beat. How do you find the suspension/ handling? Enjoy it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Car looks amazing. I have seriously been debating trading in my current Sonata turbo for the Stinger. It just looks all around great and from all the reviews the price/ performance can`t be beat. How do you find the suspension/ handling? Enjoy it!
    When it comes to that stuff it really depends on what your expectations are. I think of it more like a sporty car (not a sports car), or what kia calls it which is a gran tourer. Comfortable enough ride, with power and decent handling for fun but still soft enough to not beat up the passengers up. Now the size, weight, and softer suspension means it doesn`t handle like its on rails. It will lean and dive in corners (i`ve got some of, if not the best driving canyons in the US where i live so believe me i`ve tested many cars up in that environment). At the same time there is a bit of fun in a car that handles like that yet the tires keep it glued to the road.

To me I think the biggest different most people would notice over other kind of sporty cars (not sports cars) is that the engine is very smooth, and gives you plenty of power in all gears and all speeds. Where others might be a little slow accelerate at 60 or 80, the stinger will fly. It also has so much torque at 1300rpm that the sensation of being pushed back into your seat is something you experience even in normal driving.
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst310 View Post
    When it comes to that stuff it really depends on what your expectations are. I think of it more like a sporty car (not a sports car), or what kia calls it which is a gran tourer. Comfortable enough ride, with power and decent handling for fun but still soft enough to not beat up the passengers up. Now the size, weight, and softer suspension means it doesn`t handle like its on rails. It will lean and dive in corners (i`ve got some of, if not the best driving canyons in the US where i live so believe me i`ve tested many cars up in that environment). At the same time there is a bit of fun in a car that handles like that yet the tires keep it glued to the road.

To me I think the biggest different most people would notice over other kind of sporty cars (not sports cars) is that the engine is very smooth, and gives you plenty of power in all gears and all speeds. Where others might be a little slow accelerate at 60 or 80, the stinger will fly. It also has so much torque at 1300rpm that the sensation of being pushed back into your seat is something you experience even in normal driving.
    Thats why you should pay attention to the torque spec as well as the HP spec. My car “only” has 240hp, but it has 420 ft lbs of torque. Torque is manly. Lol
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Thats why you should pay attention to the torque spec as well as the HP spec. My car “only” has 240hp, but it has 420 ft lbs of torque. Torque is manly. Lol
    I can`t remember which ceo of a car company said it; but basically it goes "Americans use torque but buy horsepower" it is absolutely true
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst310 View Post
    Best I could do, you can see it in the light edges

Can also see where some of the paint is rubbing off near the headlights
    Scharnhorst310 --
    Lovely pics !
    The one above that has the 3 paint chips near the headlight edge - did you ask them WHY is the headlight edge rubbing on the paintwork???
    If it is not, then this happened when the headlight was installed or something like that..
    How is Kia going to address this for you ?

I paint corrected a new red Tesla not long ago, and it had pretty severe paint issues around the rear taillights, where it looks like some clown just slammed them in and didn`t care if they went in correctly or not.. It was sad.. The entire car was scratched from not so bad to really bad all over the entire vehicle... Even sadder was the reply from the Tesla dealer in the Bay Area... "We build the best Electric car, and don`t really care about the rest of it".... And people take that reply and go home!!!!!

Good luck with your new ride !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Scharnhorst310 --
    Lovely pics !
    The one above that has the 3 paint chips near the headlight edge - did you ask them WHY is the headlight edge rubbing on the paintwork???
    If it is not, then this happened when the headlight was installed or something like that..
    How is Kia going to address this for you ?

I paint corrected a new red Tesla not long ago, and it had pretty severe paint issues around the rear taillights, where it looks like some clown just slammed them in and didn`t care if they went in correctly or not.. It was sad.. The entire car was scratched from not so bad to really bad all over the entire vehicle... Even sadder was the reply from the Tesla dealer in the Bay Area... "We build the best Electric car, and don`t really care about the rest of it".... And people take that reply and go home!!!!!

Good luck with your new ride !
    Dan F
    I`ve got an appointment with Kia dealer tomorrow to go over, i already spoke to their premium customer service people who were excellent. This is a semi-known issue. To me it is one thing to have issues, it is another have to get into that boxing ring and slug it out with them to fix THEIR mistake. Kia to this point has been amazing. Guys I spoke to on the phone at the dealership knew about it, gave me clear outline of what they will do, when to expect answers, etc. So at this point I really can`t ask for more than that. I really get the vibe that driving a stinger to them is something they`ve drilled into their people to especially treat these owners well. I think they know it will go a long way in changing the perception of the brand.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That flaking around the lights could lead to more problems in the future. I hope it is not paint adhesion problems. If it is just chipped it’s a easy fix to make it look better.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the main reasons this is such a ground breaker for Kia:

The company has spent the past decade or so stockpiling high-priced talent from around Europe — Germany in particular. This includes chief designer Peter Schreyer, the person behind the Stinger`s striking looks, whose résumé includes time as Audi and Volkswagen`s head of design. In addition, Luc Donckerwolke, the former design boss at Bentley and Lamborghini, was brought in to oversee design work at Hyundai-Kia`s Genesis premium brand

The biggest hiring coup for Kia`s performance ambitions, however, was the arrival of Biermann. The BMW M-division vice president of engineering left Bavaria for South Korea in 2014. During his three decades at BMW, Biermann served as the architect for many of the company`s most respected performance cars. They include the BMW M3, the M4, and the M5 along with countless winning BMW Motorsports racers.
    The German engineer was brought in make Kia`s cars drive like the automotive legends he so frequently created at BMW.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

So the dealership people and Kia reps have all been surprisingly very good. They want to respray the front... i`m on the fence about it, not because I don`t think a shop (they`d let me choose) would do a good job, but almost rather put some more miles on it, and then have it repainted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information