Post Thanks / Like

Any Formula 1 fans on here?

Does anybody on here watch F1 racing? I really got into it about 5 years ago and I love watching it. I`ve never really seen anybody talk about it on here so I though I`d start a thread.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Formula 1 fans on here?

I have an on-off again interest with F1, but lately IMSA Weathertech Championship and WEC has my attention.

I really should start watching F1 again. The last two seasons have become much more competitive with the new cars and it doesn`t seem to be a fast moving parade led by Mercedes like it was in the 2015~2016 timeframe.
    Likes 06vrss, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love watching the imsa weathertech racing, That and NASCAR. F1 and Indy car, I lost interest in when car setups where being done almost exclusively by onboard telemetry.
    Likes 06vrss, Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 06vrss View Post
    Does anybody on here watch F1 racing? I really got into it about 5 years ago and I love watching it. I`ve never really seen anybody talk about it on here so I though I`d start a thread.
    YES!!!!!!!!!!! Since 2001 when I purchased my first new BMW !!!
    Love, Love, Love, it !!!
    I even got to attend the Next to the Last F-1 race at Indianapolis !!! What a weekend !!! Rode in a beautiful Mercedes Bus to and from the track for Practice, Qualifying, and the Race..
    Stayed in a beautiful hotel downtown Indy.... The Red Bull Team was there too !!! It was never quiet but they were all really nice guys !!!
    My first trip to Indy, loved the city and the people.. Would go back again if they ever raced there again..

This is when they were using V10 motors that absolutely blew your ears out if you did not have ear protection...

This year, I am so glad it is getting more exciting to see other teams win besides Mercedes-Mclaren, no ???

DanF F-1 Fan for Life ---
    Likes 06vrss, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    YES!!!!!!!!!!! Since 2001 when I purchased my first new BMW !!!
    Love, Love, Love, it !!!
    I even got to attend the Next to the Last F-1 race at Indianapolis !!! What a weekend !!! Rode in a beautiful Mercedes Bus to and from the track for Practice, Qualifying, and the Race..
    Stayed in a beautiful hotel downtown Indy.... The Red Bull Team was there too !!! It was never quiet but they were all really nice guys !!!
    My first trip to Indy, loved the city and the people.. Would go back again if they ever raced there again..

This is when they were using V10 motors that absolutely blew your ears out if you did not have ear protection...

This year, I am so glad it is getting more exciting to see other teams win besides Mercedes-Mclaren, no ???

DanF F-1 Fan for Life ---
    Man that sounds like an awesome time. I`m hoping to make it to the USGP in Austin in the next couple years. And obviously Monaco is bucket list stuff, but maybe someday.

This season has been great so far. The first 3 races have all been pretty exciting especially the last 2. I hope Red Bull can make a solid run at Ferrari and Mercedes if they can find the pace.

Post Thanks / Like

Man that sounds like an awesome time. I`m hoping to make it to the USGP in Austin in the next couple years. And obviously Monaco is bucket list stuff, but maybe someday.

This season has been great so far. The first 3 races have all been pretty exciting especially the last 2. I hope Red Bull can make a solid run at Ferrari and Mercedes if they can find the pace.
    06vrss ---
    Oh, it was an incredible experience.. It was what used to be called the F-1 Tour Program = $$$$ but so worth it..

Yes ! I want to make it to Austin sometime too !
    It should be a little better now since its been a few years going, but if I know Texans, (and I am one), and they embrace this like they do the Cowboys and the Spurs, it will Always be a very Full event.
    But we have to go !!! The Mexican food and Bar-B-Que alone - to Die For !!!!!!

Monaco ------- Oh boy....... How Amazing that would be like to see !!!! One year, they showed this Mammoth Ship out there that Kimi Raikkonen sailed up in to keep him company... Wow !!!! Must be tough...

Love the Season this year !!! Years ago, it was getting so predictable, I almost lost interest - NOT -

Not really liking the announcers this year... I really miss the guys from here that used to do it.. Liked them all, they represented all aspects of F! really well and you could actually understand them..

The 2 guys doing it now are undermiked or something; and they mumble or something a lot.. I guess its just the Queens English..
    Sometimes I notice they are not even keeping up with the race and get things wrong... But, they are new to it, so they have to grow into the role..

There have been so many incredible moments in almost 2 decades of it and I will never tire of watching it..
    Did you subscribe to F1.com ??

If this kid Max Verstappen ever settles down and quits doing crazy stuff, he is really going to rock the standings.. This boy is absolutely Fearless....
    Hope they (Red Bull) find and keep the pace this year also ...

Love it when its all mixed up and no one knows WHO is going to win a race !!!!!
    Dan F
    Likes 06vrss liked this post
    Thanks 06vrss thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t say that I am a die hard fan but I do watch it whenever i can. Since the new car set up with the new electric additions to them I have lost some interest in it. I miss the sound of those close to 20k RPM screaming engines. That to me was F1. I still watch it when I can and/or remember to. I have yet to catch a race this year on the tube but have noticed Mercedes isn`t dominating so far so I might have to make an effort to catch some races coming up.

Same goes for NASCAR and Indycar. I got into NASCAR when the company I work for started sponsoring a car, they quit sponsoring and funny the year they dropped sponsorship the car won the Daytone 500. The last couple years it has gone bland in my book. I am a Hendrick`s fan and with Jeff Gordon leaving last year and Dale leaving this year my only driver I don`t mind watching is Jimmie and he isn;t doing so hot. I still try and catch Indycar but even that has lost my interest. I was not a huge fan of it but I did watch it a lot more years, I man years ago, it was Unser`s, Andretti`s and such racing. This year I lost a little more interest seeing as that Castroneves no longer races and not a big fan of Montoya but with a lot of new drivers I hardly know I have lost some interest.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to watch it in the 90’s-2000’s. Schumacher, Coulthard, Häkkinen, and Barrichello are the guys that I remember. I just loved the sound and speed the cars could corner. Don’t follow any motorsports any longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    06vrss ---
    Oh, it was an incredible experience.. It was what used to be called the F-1 Tour Program = $$$$ but so worth it..

Yes ! I want to make it to Austin sometime too !
    It should be a little better now since its been a few years going, but if I know Texans, (and I am one), and they embrace this like they do the Cowboys and the Spurs, it will Always be a very Full event.
    But we have to go !!! The Mexican food and Bar-B-Que alone - to Die For !!!!!!

Monaco ------- Oh boy....... How Amazing that would be like to see !!!! One year, they showed this Mammoth Ship out there that Kimi Raikkonen sailed up in to keep him company... Wow !!!! Must be tough...

Love the Season this year !!! Years ago, it was getting so predictable, I almost lost interest - NOT -

Not really liking the announcers this year... I really miss the guys from here that used to do it.. Liked them all, they represented all aspects of F! really well and you could actually understand them..

The 2 guys doing it now are undermiked or something; and they mumble or something a lot.. I guess its just the Queens English..
    Sometimes I notice they are not even keeping up with the race and get things wrong... But, they are new to it, so they have to grow into the role..

There have been so many incredible moments in almost 2 decades of it and I will never tire of watching it..
    Did you subscribe to F1.com ??

If this kid Max Verstappen ever settles down and quits doing crazy stuff, he is really going to rock the standings.. This boy is absolutely Fearless....
    Hope they (Red Bull) find and keep the pace this year also ...

Love it when its all mixed up and no one knows WHO is going to win a race !!!!!
    Dan F
    It really is the pinnacle of motorsport isn`t it? It amazes me the amount of r&d that goes into buildng an F1 car. They are marvels of engineering for sure.

The last few years haven`t been very exciting seeing Mercedes dominate and I`m not much of a Lewis Hamilton fan. Ferrari showed that they can at least challenge last year and the look even faster so far this year. Let`s hope for a serious title fight that lasts well into the last few races.

No I do not subscribe to F1.com. But maybe I should, is it worth it?

Post Thanks / Like

Been looking on and off for many years. Glad we swedes have a driver some years know in Marcus Ericsson Alfa-Romeo Sauber. The Monaco GP is a favorite to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

It really is the pinnacle of motorsport isn`t it? It amazes me the amount of r&d that goes into buildng an F1 car. They are marvels of engineering for sure.

The last few years haven`t been very exciting seeing Mercedes dominate and I`m not much of a Lewis Hamilton fan. Ferrari showed that they can at least challenge last year and the look even faster so far this year. Let`s hope for a serious title fight that lasts well into the last few races.

No I do not subscribe to F1.com. But maybe I should, is it worth it?
    06vrss --

Yes, I also grew tired of seeing Mercedes McLaren win all the time..
    But I kept hoping they would get challenged, and it appears that 2018 is going to stretch them out for sure !

Glad that Ferrari and now hopefully Red Bull and perhaps others will mix it up really well the entire 2018 Season..
    Love it when it comes down to the last few or last lap to determine the winner... That is racing...

The technology is amazing for sure and lucky for us, a lot of that trickles down eventually into the cars we drive... Look how many direct injection cars are out today, for example...

I like F1.com because I can get all the information in 1 place quickly, with of course more in detail stuff that doesn`t come out on TV during the race..

Also for some reason, my lame DirectTV DVR is so smart now, it cannot figure out that now F-1 is broadcast on different channels, and sometimes misses the entire race !!!
    And I`m not inclined as much as I was before, to get up at 0430 hrs to watch it live.. Nor do I want all those apps on my lowly LG not-so-smart-android..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Not F1 but a huge Indycar far. Indy has been doing a lot in the last few years to bring fans back to the sport, and I think they`ve been successful thus far.

This year they went to universal aero kits with a lot less downforce, and through just three races there has been some great racing and ballsy passing.

A good F1 vs Indycar thing going on right now which I find interesting is the halo they added to the F1 cars. I get the safety there but gah they look stupid, like a giant flip-flop. Conversely, Indycar is adding a windscreen for the same reasons which actually looks pretty cool.
    2022 VW Atlas - White (FK1000P)
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L - Pretty Much Maroon
    (FK1000P)

Post Thanks / Like

HUGE open wheel fan here. Agree with Stokdgs though that Espn2’s announcers for F1 are disappointing. I miss Hobbs and Matchett. Still though, haven’t missed watching a race in many years.

Post Thanks / Like

Been following F1 since 2004 which was schumacher`s final championship year.

Miss the V10`s scream and from what i`ve seen on youtube the older v12s wails were even better. I do accept and appreciate the engineering that goes into the hybrids with the MGU-K and MGU-H.
    The cars are on track breaking all the lap records. They seemed to be a bit louder this year also but nothing close to the NA high revving engines.

The talent and competition is also looking to be a great season this year. I hope to attend Montreal this year.. cross fingers.

Thread Information