Thread: Coilpacks?

Post Thanks / Like

Coilpacks?

I swear, every cold season one of them goes. I don`t mind swapping them out (Under warranty) but what tools do you guys use to pull them?
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coilpacks?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, did you post this on the wrong forum? LOL We have no clue what car you are talking about or any information. lol
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a "coil puller" from ECS Tuning specifically for my VW. While a little expensive overall I feel like it saves me time and money by not having to take it back to the dealer if I even need to replace them.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not sure what car is in question, but the last time I messed with coil packs they were very easy to remove.

On our old Toyota V-8 and I believe the V-6 we own now there are only a couple small screws that hold them in place on the top of the valve covers. Remove those screws and they slide right out. There is only a simple connector which unplugs from the coil pack. I was able to do all the plugs in our Sequoia in about an hour. Most of the time was spent trying to get the plugs out without snapping them off.

Looking at images for the coil packs for my GTI they appear to be nearly twice as long as the ones I dealt with in the Sequoia. Do they really need the extractor tool, or can you simply loosen the screws and genlty slide them out?

Are they challenging in other makes of vehicles?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, did you post this on the wrong forum? LOL We have no clue what car you are talking about or any information. lol
    UMMMMMMMMMMMM, The term General car guy forum comes to mind. This is for multiple makes, not just one.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    I picked up a "coil puller" from ECS Tuning specifically for my VW. While a little expensive overall I feel like it saves me time and money by not having to take it back to the dealer if I even need to replace them.
    I looked into those, I think make take a look over at ECS.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I`m not sure what car is in question, but the last time I messed with coil packs they were very easy to remove.

On our old Toyota V-8 and I believe the V-6 we own now there are only a couple small screws that hold them in place on the top of the valve covers. Remove those screws and they slide right out. There is only a simple connector which unplugs from the coil pack. I was able to do all the plugs in our Sequoia in about an hour. Most of the time was spent trying to get the plugs out without snapping them off.

Looking at images for the coil packs for my GTI they appear to be nearly twice as long as the ones I dealt with in the Sequoia. Do they really need the extractor tool, or can you simply loosen the screws and genlty slide them out?

Are they challenging in other makes of vehicles?
    It depends really, it`s more about clearances and being able to just snag them out when I can`t get the leverage. Bmw`s are a snap and release, Audi/VW are press and pull + clips (Which I hate), Benz & Volvo are both press and screw in. I haven`t done toyota yet but everything from toyota is always engineered so much better than Germans, Toyota really has it down IMSO.

I`m trying to find a general clamp style thats rubber so as not to fracture the coil if too much force is applied.

So far this is the only thing I could find.
    https://www.kctoolco.com/gedore-3200...bing-fittings/
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Thread Information