View Poll Results: Will you get an electric car?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I already have an electric car!

2 3.51%
  • I can`t wait to get an electric car!

6 10.53%
  • I`m sitting on the sidelines, not sure set.

15 26.32%
  • No, I`m sticking with fossil fules

34 59.65%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going Electric?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going Electric?

Quote Originally Posted by ledetailng View Post
    with that being said, the majority of drivers should not have licenses..
    that.

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched the presentation at lunch. Here is the sped up version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_SjAcQeU1A&t=935s

Those specs...they are for the base model! I think that means there is going to be a faster one out there! I`m pretty impressed with the truck as well. The range and fast charging seem to make it very viable. 400 mile charge in 30 minutes. With no load, 0-60 in 5 seconds, I can`t wait to see truckers hooning these around, I hope a couple of riced out racers get a lesson from a big rig...lol.

Gotta say, I`m an Elon fanboy these days. No one else is pushing the bar quite as far as he is, nice to see real innovation and lofty goals. Even better from an American based company.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tesla Roadster takes torque to a level that cannot ever be achieved in a daily drivable internal combustion engine.

10,000 NM of torque = 7,376 lb/ft!!!!!!!!! I don’t think that is a typo either
    Likes Dan, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am and will always be a car guy. It’s how I got here in the first
    Place. Been down the I can’t afford squat years of piecing together crap and painting it with a rattle-can. To halfway decent cars that I modified and made into unreliable , super fast when they ran otherwise paperweights. Lol. Foward to my last 20 years. I buy them how I want them and dont modify them bc I’m too old to push them or work on them on the side of the road.

I drove the Tesla seriously before we purchase our last vehicle a bmw 5 Series. It was for my wife and although I drive it occasionally it was going to be her choice. The range thing would have been totally fine with her use patterns. She could have just charged at home At night 99 percent of the time. The only thing she came up with that would have been problematic was visiting my son at school. It’s a 5 plus hour drive and with traffic you would need a charge. So I said we could take my car for that. I really wanted her to get the Tesla. In the end she was not mentally comfortable with the idea she could run out of juice and not be able to find a charging station and the technology of the one screen does everything not being to her liking , well, that ended that. She even offered to take my year old car and id get the new Tesla. (Yes I have a great wife). For me the range will not work and as impatient as I’ve become it would be a bad buy for me.

I’m open to the idea of going electric, as long as it fits my use, budget and performance goals.

Btw- Make mine white !

https://www.tesla.com/roadster/

Budget smudged lol
    Likes Bunky liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would be interested when the range improves. With countries and companies going all electric, this will put more into R&D on battery and other power source technologies. It can be perfect in a multi-car situation.

Some of the cost benefits will likely disappear when the governments see declining gas tax revenues so there will be some cost of ownership.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    To halfway decent cars that I modified and made into unreliable , super fast when they ran otherwise paperweights.
    Boy have I learned that lesson a few times. It seems like the more I mod my car, the less I like it in the end. Part of the reason the Vette has stayed 100% stock save for the tune (to get rid of the dumb skip shift).

Post Thanks / Like

I want the new tesla roadster...
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess local plays a big role, but when I looked into it briefly, superchargers aside, there is alot of *Indy* high power refilling stations as well. Some are profit centers where it`s in a paid parking lot, but high power chargers that don`t fall under *manuf branded* charge stations seems to be around quite a bit...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    ... halfway decent cars that I modified and made into unreliable , super fast when they ran otherwise paperweights...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Boy have I learned that lesson a few times...
    While my mods usually increase my love of that vehicle, yeah..nothing compromises reliabity quite like good intentions and an open checkbook.

Back on-topic, yeah the range issue matters here too. No way would we want something like a Tesla in the garage just to leave it there whenever either/both of us take a roadtrip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I guess local plays a big role, but when I looked into it briefly, superchargers aside, there is alot of *Indy* high power refilling stations as well. Some are profit centers where it`s in a paid parking lot, but high power chargers that don`t fall under *manuf branded* charge stations seems to be around quite a bit...
    There are a ton of open chargers all over the place. Officially there are around 40k public charging stations to the 150k (and quickly declining) gas stations. I`m surprised that one of the gas station companies hasn`t thought to put in for pay chargers at their stations yet, but I guess they are THAT against electric. My work doesn`t have high speed chargers, but we do have 110v outlets in the garage that work with the slow charger that comes with most EVs.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m into the performance of a car and I don`t care if it`s powered with gas, electricity or a hair triggered lizard on acid. If it looks and handles good, is fairly quiet and can perform to my expectations in the quarter mile, I`ll take it.

ks

Post Thanks / Like

I have absolutely 0 interest in electric cars
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone done a study of all electric car owners who had to replace the battery pack and how much that cost vs the cost of maintaining the same vehicle with a gasoline powered engine ?

Has anyone done a study of electric car users today and found out how much more they are paying on their electric bill for the extra charging usage vs before the car ?

How about how much more is it costing the electric utilities to produce more power for charging all electric vehicles in the united states today, using fuel, coal, natural gas ?

Who is paying the electric bill for all the "free charging stations", and how does that work ?? Is it being paid by all of us in a form of or a new tax ?? Nothing is ever really free, right ?
    Dan F
    Likes House of Wax liked this post
    Thanks House of Wax thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is going to be fun to come back to in 10 years.
    Likes House of Wax, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Gotta say, I`m an Elon fanboy these days. No one else is pushing the bar quite as far as he is, nice to see real innovation and lofty goals. Even better from an American based company.
    I like the ideas he`s dreaming up and willing to dare greatly too. However, the problem I see is the follow up and delivery/sustainment. The Model S and X production seems to be doing OK, but there aren`t enough dealerships and service centers to sustain the current population of the vehicles being sold. An article I read last Spring mentioned owners waiting upwards of 6-months for routine maintenance appointments. For some areas, they are having to truck vehicles to another state for repairs/maintenance leaving the customer without a car for several days. Model 3 production is struggling and those with orders on the books could be waiting for a very long time.

I don`t wish him or his business, any ill will. I just think he needs to grow the infrastructure to support the customer base. If he hits his production goals with the Model 3, his support structure is in big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Has anyone done a study of all electric car owners who had to replace the battery pack and how much that cost vs the cost of maintaining the same vehicle with a gasoline powered engine ?

Has anyone done a study of electric car users today and found out how much more they are paying on their electric bill for the extra charging usage vs before the car ?

How about how much more is it costing the electric utilities to produce more power for charging all electric vehicles in the united states today, using fuel, coal, natural gas ?

Who is paying the electric bill for all the "free charging stations", and how does that work ?? Is it being paid by all of us in a form of or a new tax ?? Nothing is ever really free, right ?
    Dan F
    I don`t know about the cost of battery replacement, but a year or two ago I did see a report where someone did study the savings on using an electric car. When the author compared the increase to his electric bill vs. their fuel bill for their other vehicles, they paid substantially less despite seeing a noticeable up-tick in their electric bill.

Right now, I don`t think the burden on the electrical companies is enough to really strain the grid. However in the future, when large metro areas (or countries) demand 100% electric vehicles, there are going to be big problems.

Costs for the free stations? My guess they are paid out of operating costs from the business/organization that owns the station. The ones in my area are all private and not paid for by a municipality or utility company.
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information