Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RANT:My Love and Hate of German cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I guess it depends on the car, but a good amount of new cars use the usb as aux in. Most people rip CD`s to MP3 and then usb a thumb drive, but for those that still want/need to use a CD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By3pdlVoGAU
    https://www.etrailer.com/Car-Audio/G...e/3460023.html
    It may also depend on the location of the USB port for those vehicles with multiple ports. I can`t remember the car, but I encountered one in which there was one port which could be used for data transfer and the others were only for power.

With the popularity of Android Auto/Apple Car Play growing the power-only USB ports are slowly dying away. I`ve found the "charge only" USB ports of little use anyway since most don`t even provide enough power to keep a modern cell phone charged AND allow it to be used for things like bluetooth streaming of navigation. I end up using a charger in the 12v lighter port anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

And then what appeared to be the Unicorn appeared in CarMax inventory. A clean unpainted S550 with only 55k on it. It is now being transferred to my store. Very excited!
    And another bump on a very bump road. The S550 finally arrived after three weeks. It got caught in the polar vortex. That was my sign... Then when my salesman went on to tell me the interior was mint and said nothing about the exterior I knew things weren`t going to turn out dandy.

The interior was probably an 8.5 but the exterior was a 7. Heavy heavy swirls, crazed headlights, and just a lot of wear for a car with 55k miles. I tried to like it but I wasn`t fooling myself. A rough idle and a hard pull to the right didn`t help things.

$899 flushed down the toilet....

Post Thanks / Like

I know a guy who transferred and bought a corvette from car max with headlight issues they ended up replacing both of them there was a tire issue on one tire as well and put 4 new tires on it as well. They put quite a bit of money in to it to get it right believe it or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I know a guy who transferred and bought a corvette from car max with headlight issues they ended up replacing both of them there was a tire issue on one tire as well and put 4 new tires on it as well. They put quite a bit of money in to it to get it right believe it or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I considered what it would take to make me want the car, and while I`m sure they would do a bit to make it "right" I`m just not sure its is worth the effort. The paint is going to need some serious correction and I don`t want to let them do that. The headlights they said they would not replace as they pass the safety inspection. It also has had recent work on alignment (with parts replaced) and new motor mounts indicating that the other problems are possibly unresolved issues.

Sometimes is sucks having autopian expectations. I`m pretty sure I`m going to have better luck with an E-class. They just seem to be much better choices in my budget.

Post Thanks / Like

And another bump on a very bump road...[Benz was in awful shape]..$899 flushed down the toilet....
    Why are you still on the hook for the $899?

It`s not an *awful* hit, I often spent more than that flying off to inspect disappointing prospects, but still...I`d hope they`d offer to work something out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Why are you still on the hook for the $899?

It`s not an *awful* hit, I often spent more than that flying off to inspect disappointing prospects, but still...I`d hope they`d offer to work something out.
    Its a non-refundable transport fee for moving the car from the Vegas store to the Virginia store. I could probably make a stink about it and get some money back, but I`m not sure I`d be in the right on that. It isn`t as if they mis-represented the car, though they could have given me a better overall impression of the condition. In retrospect, I should have definitely asked more objective questions.
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Ah, OK...and FWIW IMO you`re doing the right thing not pursuing it, given your view that it wasn`t misrepresented and that you should`ve asked more Qs.

EDIT: If you`er interested in another of their cars, in that case I might use the Transport Fee as a bargaining chip.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Its a non-refundable transport fee for moving the car from the Vegas store to the Virginia store. I could probably make a stink about it and get some money back, but I`m not sure I`d be in the right on that. It isn`t as if they mis-represented the car, though they could have given me a better overall impression of the condition. In retrospect, I should have definitely asked more objective questions.
    Thanks for providing this. Carmax built a dealership only a couple of miles from my house and I`ve been looking at their inventory. I always wondered what would happen if they shipped a car to the local site and the potential buyer decided not to go through with the purchase.

Would they allow a pre-purchase inspection by a third party?

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Ah, OK...and FWIW IMO you`re doing the right thing not pursuing it, given your view that it wasn`t misrepresented and that you should`ve asked more Qs.

EDIT: If you`er interested in another of their cars, in that case I might use the Transport Fee as a bargaining chip.
    Carmax is so black and white, I don`t think there is any way to get anything out of that $899, its just gone. There simply is no negotiation on anything really. If you point out a flaw in a car that fails to "meet their standards" (which are very loose) you might get them to fix something.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Thanks for providing this. Carmax built a dealership only a couple of miles from my house and I`ve been looking at their inventory. I always wondered what would happen if they shipped a car to the local site and the potential buyer decided not to go through with the purchase.

Would they allow a pre-purchase inspection by a third party?
    I asked and my sales guy didn`t think that would be a problem. I`ve used SGS Auto in the past and they really offer a nice quantitative overview of the car. That is what I should have done, but I let my emotions get the best of me and wanted the car yesterday!

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Ah, OK...guess that`s the potential downside of their set-ways.

I let my emotions get the best of me and wanted the car yesterday!
    Heh heh, I suspect you`ll be a bit more patient now. Not flaming at all, I made the same mistake time after time, including the last time I was Crown Vic shopping! After that last I kinda went to the other extreme, took me several years and a gazillion travel $ to find the right one.

What are you thinking about *now*? Another S-class or are you gonna reset at square-one?

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Ah, OK...guess that`s the potential downside of their set-ways.

Heh heh, I suspect you`ll be a bit more patient now. Not flaming at all, I made the same mistake time after time, including the last time I was Crown Vic shopping! After that last I kinda went to the other extreme, took me several years and a gazillion travel $ to find the right one.

What are you thinking about *now*? Another S-class or are you gonna reset at square-one?
    More patient... not quite. I`m hoping more luck heads my way. I don`t want to spend more money and time...lol.

I`m going back to an E class. Much easier to find one in better shape. No air ride like the S or LS but still a remarkable ride. Bonus is better mileage and somewhat improved reliability. Cheaper too! But not nearly as cool....

Post Thanks / Like

My dad has had his E class for almost 10 years now and is very pleased with it. The only time it was unreliable was when it needed a sensor. Ever since then it has been fine.

He got it from a local dealer specializing in foreign cars. If you have a dealer like that near you, that’s where I would begin my search. Like you say, there are more E classes available
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Heh heh, work on that patience

Although I kinda prefer the C class, the Es are awfully good cars. The original owner of my `93 Audi (who has more money than God) has kept hers for ages now and like Bill D`s dad, she has zero complaints about it being troublesome.

I really like that you`re considering a "steel springs" suspension, that won`t let you down (literally ) some cold rainy night a zillion miles from civilization.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    My dad has had his E class for almost 10 years now and is very pleased with it. The only time it was unreliable was when it needed a sensor. Ever since then it has been fine.

He got it from a local dealer specializing in foreign cars. If you have a dealer like that near you, that’s where I would begin my search. Like you say, there are more E classes available
    Unfortunately, no local dealers around the DC area match that description, they`re all just a bunch of shady used car lots with cars that are a bit newer than a buy here-pay here type lot. I visited a few while looking for an S class, boy was that a waste of time. I`m at the point in my life where the only place I`ll look is a franchised dealer (the brand doesn`t matter) or Carmax. That`s where the nicer cars go, the rest go to auction and then to these used car lots. I`m sure there are some exceptions, and glad to hear your dad got a good one!

Dan- Heh heh, work on that patience

Although I kinda prefer the C class, the Es are awfully good cars. The original owner of my `93 Audi (who has more money than God) has kept hers for ages now and like Bill D`s dad, she has zero complaints about it being troublesome.

I really like that you`re considering a "steel springs" suspension, that won`t let you down (literally ) some cold rainy night a zillion miles from civilization.
    Yeah, the air ride is a big variable, though I think more often than not, there are subtle signs of impending doom that many ignore, but yes, a real steel suspension is infinitely more reliable! I do take long trips between our house and our family vacation house, the last thing I want to do is get stranded far away from an MB dealership! I have nightmares about being towed to some hillbilly fix it shop. That scene in "Family Vacation" is terrifying!

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Noting that I detail stuff like the suspension at every wash (and thus keep a close eye on such things), every air/etc. suspension I`ve ever had (Ford/Lincoln, Cadillac, Benz, every single one) suffered a zero-warning catastrophic failure. That, uhm.... The Hills Have Eyes Repair Facility scenario...isn`t gonna happen to me or my wife, not ever, period. Well, at least not over something avoidable like the suspension bits. But hey, such events lead to, uhm...interesting memories...back when I was young and immortal.

EDIT: A while back I read an article by a senior Benz Tech in which *he* said that he`d avoid their air suspensions at all cost. His all-time fave MB for actual use was the old (really old, sheesh he sounds like me) 280SEL 4.5 because "that would never let me down no matter what". Got my attention...

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information