Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RANT:My Love and Hate of German cars.

Ah! Maybe you’re better off with an S after all! Keep us posted
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The only recoloring I ever had done wasn`t to my liking so I had a new panel put in. Eh, generally I just live with the cracking, even when it`s so bad that most any Autopian would want it rectified...just don`t care as long as the leather doesn`t actually fail, which hasn`t happened to me yet.
    Dan,

Sorry to ask, but rather than go though all 200 somthing posts, what year S4? anything done to it?

Reason I ask, is that I got a 2012 S4 a few months back

Post Thanks / Like

RANT:My Love and Hate of German cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Ah! Maybe you’re better off with an S after all! Keep us posted
    Perhaps, I`m hedging my bets with an extended warrantly. Carmax is offering to go 5 years and up to 125k for $5k. Two airsprings and one other thing and I`ll be at 5k easy peasy. Here is a pic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker1911 View Post
    Dan,

Sorry to ask, but rather than go though all 200 somthing posts, what year S4? anything done to it?

Reason I ask, is that I got a 2012 S4 a few months back
    Was a 2007 with the V8. The new V6 is all around better except for sound. Mine was bone stock, I had a B5, the TT V6 and that was completely modded up.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a legendary S! I hope you find it has no problems. Good luck!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Well.... Things have taken another twist. I got low-balled on my Volt and that cooled my jets. I took some time to go over the LS and the interior was rough and I could hear Accumulator saying bad move.
    When something like that feels wrong, I`d figure that it *is* wrong, so I like that "could hear Accumulator.."

And then what appeared to be the Unicorn appeared in CarMax inventory. A clean unpainted S550 with only 55k on it. It is now being transferred to my store. Very excited!
    That sounds better, assuming there`s no, uhm....story.

And MB is usually pretty good about parts staying available (driver`s door window switches for a LS400? Good luck with that, unless they`ve found some more..). I *would* make sure it doesn`t have some of those high-tech "features" that can`t be fixed when they go bad (I`ve heard some real horror stories about 6-figure Benzes with "little"/"minor" in-warranty issues that can`t be resolved, ditto for some Audis).

Post Thanks / Like

RANT:My Love and Hate of German cars.

When something like that feels wrong, I`d figure that it *is* wrong, so I like that "could hear Accumulator.."

That sounds better, assuming there`s no, uhm....story.

And MB is usually pretty good about parts staying available (driver`s door window switches for a LS400? Good luck with that, unless they`ve found some more..). I *would* make sure it doesn`t have some of those high-tech "features" that can`t be fixed when they go bad (I`ve heard some real horror stories about 6-figure Benzes with "little"/"minor" in-warranty issues that can`t be resolved, ditto for some Audis).
    Yeah, hoping there is no story. We had the "buyer" at the remote store walk the car and it came back with zero paintwork, which is pretty important to me. I also pulled the carfax, looks like it was dealer serviced all its life. Waiting for a Mercedes VMI on it as well.

With the LS`s it was amazing to see how many of those were serviced at Jiffy Lube/Valvoline/etc.

Another interesting thing in my journey was selling the Volt. I gave Carvana a shot, they give you an offer based on your appraisal of the car, then if you agree to the price, they come to your house, inspect the car and then take it away. It was a cool process and I got $2800 more than Carmax`s offer.

Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Was a 2007 with the V8. The new V6 is all around better except for sound. Mine was bone stock, I had a B5, the TT V6 and that was completely modded up.
    Thats awesome!

I had a B7 A4 prior to getting a B8 S4. B6 and B7 S4`s sound great!

those B5`s are bad @$$ too!

I was looking hard at a B7 RS4 instead of a B8 S4, but ultimately the B8 S4 won out

I am going to start making some cosmetic changes very soon on it, as well as performance mods in the spring (starting with intake, exhaust, and stage 1 tune)

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Ah, that Carvana deal sounds great. ?How to dispose? can be a headache if you`re not gonna DIY it (and I wouldn`t).

Hope that inspection was nice and thorough..."no paintwork" is, uhm...well, just one of those things you don`t put too much trust in 2nd hand, ya know?

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Ah, that Carvana deal sounds great. ?How to dispose? can be a headache if you`re not gonna DIY it (and I wouldn`t).

Hope that inspection was nice and thorough..."no paintwork" is, uhm...well, just one of those things you don`t put too much trust in 2nd hand, ya know?
    Agreed, especially when the party selling it is making that determination. That said, having worked at, and bought several cars there, they do not systematically hide paintwork on cars, and the buyers are trained as well as anyone at any dealership to spot it.

The ultimate test, as always is when the PTG comes out. The numbers do not lie. Funny to see the looks on their faces when that comes out. The Mercedes dealer was especially fun in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats awesome!

I had a B7 A4 prior to getting a B8 S4. B6 and B7 S4`s sound great!

those B5`s are bad @$$ too!

I was looking hard at a B7 RS4 instead of a B8 S4, but ultimately the B8 S4 won out

I am going to start making some cosmetic changes very soon on it, as well as performance mods in the spring (starting with intake, exhaust, and stage 1 tune)
    I think you made the right choice, though those B7RS4s are gorgeous. Too bad they have so many gotchas.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you made the right choice, though those B7RS4s are gorgeous. Too bad they have so many gotchas.

the timing chain issues, and gas mileage kept me away from the B7RS4. After a stage 1 tune, I should be making more power with my B8S4 anyways

i know this sounds kinda dumb, but my biggest gripe with the B8S4 is the MMI, i hate that it is so integrated and pretty much unchangeable

When I had my B7A4 (and same case would have been with the B7RS4) I could put a state of the art aftermarket headunit. I had a awesome top of the line Kenwood Excelon Nav unit will all the bells and whistles in the A4 and my S4 has a lame Audi MMI that is the same as the 2009 cars lol......it doesn`t even allow for streaming blue tooth music (but there is an half @$$ aftermarket solution to that problem)

but I love the interior over all way more in my B8 over B7

Post Thanks / Like

Another interesting thing in my journey was selling the Volt. I gave Carvana a shot, they give you an offer based on your appraisal of the car, then if you agree to the price, they come to your house, inspect the car and then take it away. It was a cool process and I got $2800 more than Carmax`s offer.

A friend at work just bought a car through Carvana. The process in buying seemed to be pretty similar to your experience in selling: easy and fast. There was an interior issue he found which they paid to resolve without question. A couple minor paint blemishes were undisclosed, but I think even I could polish them out if asked without him having to fight with Carvana to hire a pro.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    A friend at work just bought a car through Carvana. The process in buying seemed to be pretty similar to your experience in selling: easy and fast. There was an interior issue he found which they paid to resolve without question. A couple minor paint blemishes were undisclosed, but I think even I could polish them out if asked without him having to fight with Carvana to hire a pro.
    Good to hear that the buying is easy too, do you get to drive the car before you sign your life away?

Post Thanks / Like

the timing chain issues, and gas mileage kept me away from the B7RS4. After a stage 1 tune, I should be making more power with my B8S4 anyways

i know this sounds kinda dumb, but my biggest gripe with the B8S4 is the MMI, i hate that it is so integrated and pretty much unchangeable

When I had my B7A4 (and same case would have been with the B7RS4) I could put a state of the art aftermarket headunit. I had a awesome top of the line Kenwood Excelon Nav unit will all the bells and whistles in the A4 and my S4 has a lame Audi MMI that is the same as the 2009 cars lol......it doesn`t even allow for streaming blue tooth music (but there is an half @$$ aftermarket solution to that problem)

but I love the interior over all way more in my B8 over B7
    Totally agree about being tied into the entertainment system the manufacturer puts in. Wasn`t there some law back in the day against that. I seem to recall my friends that owned a stereo shop talking about it. My Volts HU was terrible and buggy.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information