Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RANT:My Love and Hate of German cars.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    7 years is really good. I try to buy the best battery available and was having a hard time getting 36 months out of them on my other vehicles. What type of battery are you using? Do you trickle charge it? Any other tips to extend battery life?
    It`s the OEM GM battery, off season I keep it plugged into a Schumacher charger, $18 from Walley World. The Jeep that was parked next to it had a dead battery in 3 years, no warning, just dead one day. I prefer the slow death.

I replaced the one in the Benz because it was starting to struggle in the cold and not keeping over 12.3v after parked overnight. Not the original battery, so I guess it lasted 4 years. Can`t complain as diesels are harder on batteries.
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I think I`m good but thanks for confirming. Fwiw I had two batteries to replace. The main and the aux. Plus I`m an autopian so I had to clean the compartment on top of it all. I guess if I was just doing the main again I could get it done in 30 minutes. The aux battery was the big hassle. The cage that holds it is not well designed and hard to get back in. The whole operation is done blind with your face against the seat back.

One good thing about keeping a battery in the passenger compartment is how clean the terminals looked. No attention needed there.

Next up Akebono pads for the front. MB OEM pads are dust devils.
    Dan ----
    Glad it all worked out for your; sorry about that back seat one...
    The burdimotors.com mercedes dealer shows you how to calibrate the windows, sunroof, and steering wheel in the same place.. Its all done while you sit in the car..
    Perhaps your Mercedes model did not need it, and if so that is great !

I know, everytime I Detail a vehicle, I take - everything - out of the trunk, clean everything down there, clean everything that came out of the trunk, make sure the air pressure is correct in the spare that came out, and put it all back, better than I found it if possible..

I had to use Battery Tenders for the 11 years when I lived in the Pacific Northwest, and never had them go bad, or not keep the outside vehicles charged up.. Still have 2 of them, and at year 16, they are still working great and keeping the 2 vehicles I have today very happy..
    Dan F

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Still sounds like a nightmare to me..."all you need to do is...calibrate the windows, sunroof, and steering wheels"?!? Sigh..no modern cars for us!
    Amigo,
    According to the website I looked at, the process to calibrate those things is very easy and you just sit in the vehicle and do it.. They explain it all on their website..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I had to use Battery Tenders for the 11 years when I lived in the Pacific Northwest, and never had them go bad, or not keep the outside vehicles charged up.. Still have 2 of them, and at year 16, they are still working great and keeping the 2 vehicles I have today very happy..
    Dan F
    Wow I had to replace my Battery Tenders at least once. No way did they last 16 years. I guess they don’t make them like they used to.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

All you need to program a BMW battery is a elm327 and Carley for BMW . $50 dollars later you can program your battery. It takes about 3 minutes. It`s not the big deal it`s made out to be. Been there and done it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    All you need to program a BMW battery is a elm327 and Carley for BMW . $50 dollars later you can program your battery. It takes about 3 minutes. It`s not the big deal it`s made out to be. Been there and done it.
    Carly has figured out a way to make you use their high priced OBDII port adapter. I bought one of the cheap ones first but the app would not recognize it. Also now Carly is a yearly subscription instead of a one time purchase. I’ll probably drop the subscription and get a tool that works similarly for $150 on Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Be careful with leaving the elm327 in the obd port for extended periods of time (overnight). There have been reports of the elm327 killing ECU’s (DME’s). I don’t remember all the makes but since I do have a 2nd gen GS300, I remember that the elm327 has killed a few of the ECU’s in the late 90’s/ early 2000’s Lexus. Disclaimer: The capacitors (problem becomes gradual) in these ECU’s are famous for leaking, however there have been a few reports of fried ECU’s that have had the elm327 connected to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Be careful with leaving the elm327 in the obd port for extended periods of time (overnight). There have been reports of the elm327 killing ECU’s (DME’s). I don’t remember all the makes but since I do have a 2nd gen GS300, I remember that the elm327 has killed a few of the ECU’s in the late 90’s/ early 2000’s Lexus. Disclaimer: The capacitors (problem becomes gradual) in these ECU’s are famous for leaking, however there have been a few reports of fried ECU’s that have had the elm327 connected to them.
    What exactly does an elm327 do besides communicate with the ECU? I understand it will slowly drain the battery, but without an input can it affect the ECU? Is an elm327 basically the same thing as the Progressive Insurance device that connects to the OBDII port to spy on your driving habits? I’m just trying to figure out the technology. Cars now be complicated, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I recently went through the hassle of “registering” the battery in my BMW. I decided to do it myself instead of paying the dealership $150 for 5 minutes of work. I bought the Carly app and OBDII device and it was very easy. I also used the app to code my BMW to do a few neat tricks. Well worth the money.
    I`m looking to get back into BMW ownership in a year or two and from everthing I`ve been reading I think Carly should be a mandatory item when buying one. Battery registration is a huge benefit, but the ability to do all the simple coding changing on your own without having to deal with a dealership is amazing. First thing I`ll do is code off the fake engine noise being pumped into the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    The batteries I have and have been doing ok with actually come from AutoZone. All three of my cars are running them I have my mobile mechanic install them and take away the old ones.
    As long as you don`t go bottom basement model, most of the batteries are pretty good. If I remember correctly there are only three or four battery makers in the US and they make just about everything you find in stores and dealership parts departments. One thing which shocked me (no pun intended) when the factory battery on my VW went out last year, was the dealer parts department was CHEAPER than the parts store for the same spec battery. A friend of mine who works at the dealership service department was shocked when he talked to me as I headed for the parts desk.

While we`re talking about dead batteries, anyone seen a VW Golf/GTI with a failed battery? The dash lights up like a Christmas tree, radio does odd things, strange error messages on the center display, exterior lights come on all by them selves, the whole works. Not only that, but each time you turn the key DIFFERENT THINGS HAPPEN! I was thinking catastrophic ECU failure until speaking with a friend at my local VW dealership (mentioned above).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Sigh.

Old batteries build sulphation up on the plates which slows their ability to reabsorb a charge, so as a battery ages it requires a more aggressive charge rate. When you replace the battery but don’t let the car know, it’s the same concept as having a battery on a fast charge when it should be on a trickle charger.

Make sense?
    Then how did batteries survive on cars before all this nonsense? My factory battery in my 08 BMW M Roadster lasted 8 years - this car is pre battery registration software.

IMHO it`s technology for technology`s sake & it`s garbage. It`s clinically insignificant - if it all works perfectly - your battery may last 1 extra nanosecond. And... why would BMW care/want batteries to last longer anyway?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    While we`re talking about dead batteries, anyone seen a VW Golf/GTI with a failed battery? The dash lights up like a Christmas tree, radio does odd things, strange error messages on the center display, exterior lights come on all by them selves, the whole works. Not only that, but each time you turn the key DIFFERENT THINGS HAPPEN! I was thinking catastrophic ECU failure until speaking with a friend at my local VW dealership (mentioned above).
    Hmm, how did I not see this before. While I haven`t seen a battery failure on my GTI (*knock on wood*), I did have to replace mine on my 08 Jetta. It never did act strange or anything, it just cranked slow. Now when I replaced my battery the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree until a couple miles down the road.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Then how did batteries survive on cars before all this nonsense? My factory battery in my 08 BMW M Roadster lasted 8 years - this car is pre battery registration software.

IMHO it`s technology for technology`s sake & it`s garbage. It`s clinically insignificant - if it all works perfectly - your battery may last 1 extra nanosecond. And... why would BMW care/want batteries to last longer anyway?
    If it was just for technology`s sake they could put in a method for the owner to reset it like tpms or the oil change indicator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post

It`s a different generation of cars. The level of technology (thus, power consumers) has increased dramatically.

Your M Roadster is similar to the Corvette mentioned earlier - electrically it`s a very simple car. Guessing that Corvette was a C5, it had a 110 amp alternator. Your M had a 150 amp (Previous bodystyle M roadster with that engine had a 120 amp). Move forward to a basic `10 328i, you`re up to 180 amp. A `11 550i has a 230 amp. `16 750 has a 250 amp to keep up with all the stuff on board (Even a new 228i has a 210 amp). With the high output of these alternators and huge amount of consumers comes the need for better power regulation. Plus everything they do to try and maximize fuel economy every way they can think of.

Is it absolutely necessary? Who knows. I don`t have exposure to know what the domestic or asian brands are doing on their modern cars to know what their procedures are or how long the batteries are lasting. I can tell you that the average lifespan of the original battery on the cars I see does tend to be in the 6-8 year range on cars that see more than a couple miles per trip (yes, the cars can tell the technician that too).

I get where it seems like a racket, but I also get the logic behind the system with battery registration. Who knows, maybe I just accept it too blindly since I`ve been to factory training on the subject.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet in climates like Florida’s, battery life is less than 6-8 years. I’m surprised I’ve been seeing 4-5. If you do a lot of driving here, tires don’t last terribly long either. A lot of it has to do with the composition of the roads here.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Old Pirate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    It`s a different generation of cars. The level of technology (thus, power consumers) has increased dramatically.

Your M Roadster is similar to the Corvette mentioned earlier - electrically it`s a very simple car. Guessing that Corvette was a C5, it had a 110 amp alternator. Your M had a 150 amp (Previous bodystyle M roadster with that engine had a 120 amp). Move forward to a basic `10 328i, you`re up to 180 amp. A `11 550i has a 230 amp. `16 750 has a 250 amp to keep up with all the stuff on board (Even a new 228i has a 210 amp). With the high output of these alternators and huge amount of consumers comes the need for better power regulation. Plus everything they do to try and maximize fuel economy every way they can think of.

Is it absolutely necessary? Who knows. I don`t have exposure to know what the domestic or asian brands are doing on their modern cars to know what their procedures are or how long the batteries are lasting. I can tell you that the average lifespan of the original battery on the cars I see does tend to be in the 6-8 year range on cars that see more than a couple miles per trip (yes, the cars can tell the technician that too).

I get where it seems like a racket, but I also get the logic behind the system with battery registration. Who knows, maybe I just accept it too blindly since I`ve been to factory training on the subject.

While im indifferent about battery registration. I think the remote trunk mounted has more to do with the long battery life. Not having the extra heat from the engine seems to make a big difference. My first experience with this was my 70 mgb. I never had to change the battery in five years I owned it. The jag I`ve had for six years and haven`t changed the battery, and I`m not sure how old that battery is. I`ve never checked too see. The camaro battery is now six years old. The BMW battery was almost nine years old before the car burned. What all these cars have in common are remote mounted batteries, and they all had long lives. I haven`t gone over five years on a battery when mounted under hood. The Lexus sc430 being the worst. I was replacing it about every two years.

So im not really convinced that the battery registration helps that much.

edit: the jag and BMW spent three of those years in Houston.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information