Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RANT:My Love and Hate of German cars.

Who`s buying me a flush floor 4 post lift for xmas + the 12 ft height extension on the garage ;-).
    I am getting old and I am not as enthusiastic about working on my back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Here is my rant about electric vehicles, posted over in the "What did you do detailing wise today?"

[Rant ON:

For all:

What about the environmental impact that the vehicle manufacture creates when they build the car? Or the batteries, or interior plastics that are comprised of petroleum? What about the environmental impact that all the parts suppliers create? What happens when a family member 600 miles away falls ill and the only way to get there is by driving and it`s the holidays, so all the combustion-engined rental cars are booked? What if the excess capacity that the power plant has is actual plant capacity and not energy stored in reserve batteries that can be released back into the grid? What if that excess capacity is actually the plant running at 40% capacity and the plant wants to run 50% capacity to up keep demand and be slightly more efficient? How is that extra 10% of capacity of increased energy produced, is it by fossil fuels or renewable and sustainable energy like solar, wind, or hydroelectric? If that 10% higher capacity that the power plant produces is via fossil fuel, there is no way on this green earth that a couple hundred EV`s (in ones area of living) will offset the carbon footprint that the 10% extra plant capacity produces. With the US electrical grid in its current form of not keeping reserve energy (on average) and with producing energy by way of fossil fuels, every time a person turns on their kitchen light, a power plant within a XXX miles radius must increase its output to meet the higher demand that that single kitchen lightbulb has created (doesn`t matter whether it is incandescent or LED). Thus increasing the plants own native power consumption and presumably adding to its carbon footprint. As long as the US grid is producing energy on fossil fuels and not storing reserve energy, it doesn`t matter how many electric cars will be sold because the cars will still not be able to counteract the carbon foot print that power plants upstream or downstream are creating. However, it is much easier to control the people than it is to control corporations, especially big ones, forget trying to control governments, of course unless the governed people unite.

As far as fueling is concerned, gasoline and diesel are the most energy dense forms of fuel per unit volume, diesel more-so than gasoline. There is some very promising technology on the horizon, that should keep the Internal Combustion Engine around, however its shape will change. It is really such a shame that diesel has gotten a bad rap, because it is truly a fuel of the future. Diesels are so much more efficient and when combined in a hybrid system, my goodness the MPG. Check out BMW`s european Diesel-Hybrid concepts, 60+mpg. As automakers continue to strive to meet Fuel Economy and emissions standards, they will realize that they will only be able to go so far before their efforts are deemed too expensive; the efforts should be made in aerodynamics, and lighter weight vehicles, and evolving the ICE with new technology. The biggest downside to batteries is that every time a battery goes through a discharge/recharge cycle, it`s capacity is diminished. Yes there technologies that make the batteries better, but they still loose their capacity every time they are discharged/recharged. The ICE will always have its place because there is simply nothing that can replicate it, and there is no other fuel as energy dense per unit volume that is capable of supporting such a small application as a passenger vehicle, yet. In the auto industry, we are in a transition period where the push is for all electric, but that will come at a cost, especially in the US as we simply do not have the infrastructure to support millions of electric vehicles that will hopefully be on the road by 202X. As the infrastructure currently stands, I don`t see how it will be possible to support that many vehicles without turning the power plants to renewable sources of energy. The people want electric vehicles, but what happens when the EV`s cannot be sold because the infrastructure cannot support them? The automakers will begin to go towards red then the people will want ICE vehicles, starting the cycle over.

There are so many more topics that I`d like to rant about, relating to EV`s and cars. However, I think this diatribe is enough.

Rant: OFF.]

It’s a good rant that brings up many questions that need to be answered. I think more government investment in renewable resources is one answer. Tax breaks for solar energy at the Federal level and government investment. Some states allow you to sell excess power generated back to the electric company but others do not. Georgia and Florida are two I am most knowledgeable about and both states make it inhospitable for people to use solar panels, and they are states that get a lot of sun year round. Using solar panels that can be cheaper if mass produced and incentivized would take some of the burden off power producing plants. Using solar generation at peoples place of work such as large factories could allow people to charge their cars at work instead of at home. Large parking lots could be covered with solar panels on roofs over the parking lot. A place like the Pentagon that has thousands of workers and cars would be ideal. We have to start somewhere and we can’t rely on private investment to do it all. The government is responsible for the boom in electric cars by giving huge tax incentives to buy the cars, now they have to step up and provide the electricity.

I agree about the diesel hybrid vehicles being the best of both worlds, but for some unknown reason carmakers have balked at this idea. Again the government could provide incentives to produce this type of vehicle just as they did with electric vehicles.

Electric cars are going to get more efficient as more research goes into them. Tesla batteries have gotten much better over 10 years and with more competition I see better and more efficient batteries and cars coming shortly. The main problem I see is the rare earth elements used it electric car production. China has 99% of the rare earth metals and this could cause major problems in the future especially since China is moving toward electric cars faster than the US to combat it’s pollution problems.

Burning more coal to produce electricity is not the answer for the long term and with nuclear facilities being taken off line faster than new ones being built or even planned something has to give. I don’t have a solution for this. Way over my pay grade.

There are tons of problems with increasing electric vehicles but I think it is worth it if we can wean ourselves off of fossil fuels. Replacing gasoline with coal burning electric plants is not a good solution. This is a Federal problem and needs to be addressed at that level. The current administration is not going to address it. They want more off shore drilling and “clean coal”. Lol. Maybe when Trump goes back to the Apprentice something might get done. We need forward thinkers like the ones who planned and built the interstate road system, not the ones who want to spend tax dollars on a futile wall.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with the EGR on diesel cars comes when you drive short drives a lot. It has it`s own cleaning system with often a particle filter. This is engage around every full tank of diesel fuel. So if you don`t run for longer drives during a full tank it will simply skip that cleaning schedule. When the cleaning system is engaged you feel a little reduced power from the engine. When it engage is often above 50mph and takes about 20-30 minutes to do the cleaning schedule finished. It`s strange that you are not able to engage this cleaning schedule by your self. But the manufactures claims it`s engaged so often so it would not be a problem in the longrun if it`s skips some. It`s engage when the motor is warmed up and have been run for some time over 50mph until it`s starts. So the easiest way is to take the vehical for a long drive on speed over 50mph at least every second full tank of diesel. Or even better once every full tank. That`s the problem with owning a diesel vehical that it`s not suited to be driven short length and at lower speeds. What was mentioned that to put load and high rpm is also a good thing to do once and a while when the engine is warm. If you have an automatic transmission. See if you can lock it in second gear and idle the motor over 3000rpm. So are you not speeding over the limits. And do this during 10-15 minutes so can it self clean the engine some.

Had a Mitsubishi Lancer with a 2.4l GDI gasoline engine. With direct injectors known to clogg up and started run uneven. It was recommended to a warm engine to run in second gear and idle between 4000-5000rpm. And drive it during 15min this way. This was to a engine that has not clogged up to much then it`s needed to be cleaned. And just maintain as clean as possible engine.

This reminds me to get my car for a long drive

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: RANT:My Love and Hate of German cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    As we learned decades ago with the Audis we had then (and it`s even more true today), with some vehicles it`s utterly binary: you`re either in it for the Long Haul with zero regard for what that might add up to, or else you`re short-timing it and letting the big expenses be somebody else`s problem. Any middle ground is the domain of fools and dreamers....and those rare people who can DIY the tricky stuff (all respect to those folks).

BUT...do today`s cars engender the same kind of auto love affair that keep me putting five-figure repairs into the older cars? Everybody I know with a modern [anything] is either leasing or running a pre-owned until it`s ready to need the big repairs (at which point they`ll dump it). There`s no "I simply love everything about this car and nothing on earth would please me as much" like we feel about ours.

Heh heh, there`s a (very) short list of vehicles I`d really like to have, but even after selling off the ones I *can* live without, I`ve still accumulated too many already and I wouldn`t part with any of them, not to make room for *anything*. Unless that meteorite falls out of the sky and hits one....
    That must be a really short list. I can`t even see it.

I agree about the middle ground-(after the warrantee is over,to,let`s say 100k miles). That`s where the real $$$ in service and repairs is at.

Even a "cheap" repair is costly at $135.00/hr. in labor costs. And the cost of parts. Ouch!

I wouldn`t even dream of buying a used 4-5 year old car without getting a factory extended warrantee. A Dodge mechanic told me that the new ZF 8-speeds have no recommended factory maintenance intervals. They don`t even have a trans dipstick so you can check the fluid. It gets checked electronically at the dealer. What would that cost when it pukes? That would easily cover the cost of the warrantee. Nowadays the mechanicals are very stout. The problems seem to be in the electronics and ancillary mechanical systems-(steering racks, air suspension systems,etc.)

I`ve no desire to work on cars anymore. I used to do it all,almost anything mechanical,including clutches, rear ends, etc. I used to have my wife pump the brake pedal for me until I got a power bleeder.

I`m to the point of when the warrantee is over, the car is replaced.

And the guys that can still DYI it all, you have my respect and admiration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    That must be a really short list. I can`t even see it.

I agree about the middle ground-(after the warrantee is over,to,let`s say 100k miles). That`s where the real $$$ in service and repairs is at.

Even a "cheap" repair is costly at $135.00/hr. in labor costs. And the cost of parts. Ouch!

I wouldn`t even dream of buying a used 4-5 year old car without getting a factory extended warrantee. A Dodge mechanic told me that the new ZF 8-speeds have no recommended factory maintenance intervals. They don`t even have a trans dipstick so you can check the fluid. It gets checked electronically at the dealer. What would that cost when it pukes? That would easily cover the cost of the warrantee. Nowadays the mechanicals are very stout. The problems seem to be in the electronics and ancillary mechanical systems-(steering racks, air suspension systems,etc.)

I`ve no desire to work on cars anymore. I used to do it all,almost anything mechanical,including clutches, rear ends, etc. I used to have my wife pump the brake pedal for me until I got a power bleeder.

I`m to the point of when the warrantee is over, the car is replaced.

And the guys that can still DYI it all, you have my respect and admiration.
    Zf transmissons haven`t had dipsticks in two decades. I don`t think anyone makes a automatic transmission with a dipstick anymore. All these manufacturers want to make their vehicles sound like they are very low maintenance. This doesn`t mean that one can`t or shouldn`t Change their transmission fluid regardless. I myself do a drain and fill on all my cars every year. I think lifetime fluids is a bunch of crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, change your transmission fluid. Mercedes went from every 30k to lifetime and the back to every 39k. Now 70k, I think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    .. I myself do a drain and fill on all my cars every year. I think lifetime fluids is a bunch of crap.
    Every year?!? Gee...I too have misgivings bout "lifetime" fluids, but annual transmission fluid changes...gee. I don`t even change the oil in some of `em that often.

Post Thanks / Like

Every year?!? Gee...I too have misgivings bout "lifetime" fluids, but annual transmission fluid changes...gee. I don`t even change the oil in some of `em that often.
    a drain and fill is usually somewhere of half or less of the capacity. It`s only around $35-40 a year per car, Pretty cheap imo. I do it with the coolant too. All easy enough to do when I have the cars up on all four jackstands to clean the undercarriage. Not saying anyone has to follow that regime. This way I always remember when it was done last, and that I`m not procrastinating to the point of waiting too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Cpleroad- Note that I`m not being critical, just surprised And, heh heh...I do think to myself "eh, I spend too much time under them already just doing the Maintenance Washes" so maybe I`m working at not finding more things to do under there. AND...you undoubtedly put a lot more miles on yours than we do on ours (the ones we actually drive....still have too many cars around here IMO).

Post Thanks / Like

Cpleroad- Note that I`m not being critical, just surprised And, heh heh...I do think to myself "eh, I spend too much time under them already just doing the Maintenance Washes" so maybe I`m working at not finding more things to do under there. AND...you undoubtedly put a lot more miles on yours than we do on ours (the ones we actually drive....still have too many cars around here IMO).
    I didn`t think you were being critical. I was just explaining my reasoning behind it. We probably don`t put more miles on our personal cars. I just treat maintenance by time and not mileage. The wife`s company car on the other hand gets 35-45 thousand miles a year. Our cars all together get about 7500 miles a year. We are more on your path than we`ve ever been on. These 3 cars are probably not going away for at least another 10 years .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    // We probably don`t put more miles on our personal cars. I just treat maintenance by time and not mileage. The wife`s company car on the other hand gets 35-45 thousand miles a year. Our cars all together get about 7500 miles a year...
    Accumulatorette put that many on her Daily back when we were teaching, but I bet it takes a long time for us to do 7500 these days.

We are more on your path than we`ve ever been on...
    Heh heh, generally speaking, that statement might be worrisome

These 3 cars are probably not going away for at least another 10 years .
    Well *that* does indeed sound like us! (I`m discounting the only 10 years a bit since you`re a lot younger than we are, we really might not ever buy anything else..or so I think today but we`ll see.)

Post Thanks / Like

Rekindled some hate today. Almost two hours to replace the batteries in the ML today. Yes two. Under the passenger seat no less. No wonder the dealer charges $500 just to replace the main battery. Most of the time was the aux battery and the cage that holds it. Classic German engineering.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Rekindled some hate today. Almost two hours to replace the batteries in the ML today. Yes two. Under the passenger seat no less. No wonder the dealer charges $500 just to replace the main battery. Most of the time was the aux battery and the cage that holds it. Classic German engineering.
    Hope you don`t have to tell the vehicle there are new batteries in there, like it is with BMW`s..
    I also hate batteries or fuel tanks under back seats..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Hope you don`t have to tell the vehicle there are new batteries in there, like it is with BMW`s..
    Dan F
    I didn`t find out. I kept a 12v source attached so I wouldn`t have to reprogram anything. That did add a bit to the PITA factor. Had to be extra careful not to short anything while doing the operation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Dan F
    I recently went through the hassle of “registering” the battery in my BMW. I decided to do it myself instead of paying the dealership $150 for 5 minutes of work. I bought the Carly app and OBDII device and it was very easy. I also used the app to code my BMW to do a few neat tricks. Well worth the money.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information