Thread: Windows Tinted

Post Thanks / Like

Windows Tinted

Since buying the GTI I wanted to tint the windows. Had off today and on a whim I stopped by a highly rated shop. Went in to just get a quote, but...

They had an immediate open spot, decided what the heck it`s only money. 18% all around and black gloss vinyl on the 1/4 windows on the front doors. I think 35% is the legal limit in PA, so I`m curious when the first pull-over is going to be. Installer did an excellent job, I plan on taking the Camry back for a legal tint. For inquiring minds, it is SunTek Carbon installed for $265.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes Nautical, trashmanssd, Angus, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windows Tinted

Loos awesome you will be glad you tinted it. You are a brave man, I went 50 percent on my side and it measures out at 34 percent with the already tinted factory glass.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post
    Thanks Nizmo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Since buying the GTI I wanted to tint the windows. Had off today and on a whim I stopped by a highly rated shop. Went in to just get a quote, but..

They had an immediate open spot, decided what the heck it`s only money. 18% all around and black gloss vinyl on the 1/4 windows on the front doors. I think 35% is the legal limit in PA, so I`m curious when the first pull-over is going to be. Installer did an excellent job, I plan on taking the Camry back for a legal tint. For inquiring minds, it is SunTek Carbon installed for $265.

Windows must allow 70% light through. I`ll be curious to see how long it takes - there`s such a wide range of how tint is enforced here in the commonwealth.

Gordon
    Likes trashmanssd, Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gordonjuan View Post
    Windows must allow 70% light through. I`ll be curious to see how long it takes - there`s such a wide range of how tint is enforced here in the commonwealth.

Gordon
    I see people with darker tint and in more suspicious looking vehicles around here, but it would just be my luck...

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- I`ll be interested to hear how you like that level of tint overall....thinking "unfamiliar areas at night" mainly.

IME the whole Tint Law Enforcement thing is, uhm...selectively enforced, just like Front Plate Laws.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Nizmo- I`ll be interested to hear how you like that level of tint overall....thinking "unfamiliar areas at night" mainly.
    It might be a long time before I get to test those scenarios; the car is getting into the garage queen status now that winter is approaching. That and now we have to park in a gravel lot at work, I`ve been driving the beater truck to work now (good thing too, they got it with one of the trailers the other day, oops!).

I do think it is a little dark, but it makes the car look so much better IMO. They offer a 35% that I plan on putting on the Camry.

Some better shots I took yesterday.

Now from this angle, it doesn`t appear to be that dark, but the sun was going in through the windshield.

Likes ca.detailchick, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windows Tinted (Bonus S10!)

Soo... Decided the S10 needed tint. The rear window was done at one time, but had turned purple. Being a beater, decided to do it myself. Started with the back window, which I learned the hard way do not do it outside! It`s ok, but better than what was there. Put 20% on the back window and 35% on the sides. Not perfect, but it`s a beater. It`s a 10` away look. About $50 in materials with the extra roll I needed because I screwed up...

Workin` on it...

Done

Did the passenger side last, and after some practice (and several beers, lol) it came out perfect. Might tackle the Jeep next, it seems easy.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Glad it`s working out so well! Heh heh, pretty soon you`ll have to quit calling the S10 a beater
    Likes Nizmo liked this post
    Thanks Nizmo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Nizmo- Glad it`s working out so well! Heh heh, pretty soon you`ll have to quit calling the S10 a beater
    Eventually I recon. Still nice to have a vehicle that you can just throw your junk in and go! Mainly did the tint because my light sensitivity, and it helps a ton!

Thread Information