Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caught dealership fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ..."Hey, no fender covers and don`t let your shirt touch it" ...
    It`s not just me that does that, hooray! Nothing drives me crazier than seeing guys using their rough foam backed fender cover that was just on some mud/winter road filth covered car...

Post Thanks / Like

PA DETAILER, why dont you take your rear wheels off and LOOK at the pads yourself? Even if you just get out a ruler to measure the pads you will educate yourself and not have to trust someone else to be honest towards you. If YOU find that the pads arent as worn as they claim you can go back and let them know they will not be getting your business any longer.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    PA DETAILER, why dont you take your rear wheels off and LOOK at the pads yourself?
    Plus, I`d be *very* leery of having somebody I don`t know doing the on/off. I once snapped a lugbolt off after some "pro" overtightened the lugnut.

And note that I quit letting `em use the torque-sticks after finding significant variations between the lugs, each one on each wheel. Not just a case of being all Autopian about it I mean...not like they don`t have a torque WRENCH (which I ASSUME has been calibrated)...

IF the pads aren`t really as worn as they said, I`d not necessarily say "lost my business", but if I bothered to go back and talk with them at all I`d see what they have to say about it and *then* make my decision.

Post Thanks / Like

What could a liar say to make you take your car back there? Nope, trust would be broken from there on out.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes PRND[S], nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This subject is done. After this morning`s visit to Monroe, the lowest set is at about 3/32. Did I need a brake job today or at the time of the dealership visit? NO. Near future? Of course. Of course the advice I was given I was going to follow anyway. Run them till your hear the sensors chirp. And the rotors have plenty of material to be cut.

The dealership? All I can say is that in the past, and all warranty work I had done was exceptional. This time I think they may have been looking for the quick dollar.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I had an older chevy truck that come to find out had the intake leak. Anyhow, they probably deal with this issue hundreds of times a year but they quoted me 700 dollars to do plugs and wires. Plugs and wires!

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I like to do most of my own work. Last year on state inspection it was noted my rear brakes on my old Jetta were getting thin as well. Dealer wanted almost $600 for new pads/rotors/labor. Uh no. OEM pads and rotors, brake caliper tool (VW and their darn turn in style) and a set of triple square sockets was around $350. Plus I got to keep the brake tool and sockets for future use.

Now some things I won`t do, like the S10 needs brakes lines in my eyes. Just passed inspection last month, but better safe then sorry. There`s a used car lot that also does repair work in town that I trust. Between buying a vehicle from them, a couple sets of tires, and some other work they`re pretty reasonable.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information