Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rear Main Seal Vodoo

Accumulator. I would say a 4wd Jeep Wrangler is about as archaic as it comes right now. I obviously don`t know the ins and outs of every make and model produced but it seems most makes and models have all the bells and whistles standard to use as a selling point against the competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

MattPersman- Yeah, if not for the front straight axle I`d probably be onboard, and that might even be OK IRL. Pricey in my area though, at least mid-20s, and the ones I see all have surface rust going on that exposed undercarriage.

The older CJs had *BIG* corrosion issues around the riveted areas, wonder if the modern ones have similar issues. I`ve always felt that the old-school Jeeps (and straight axles or not, I *really* like the XJ Cherokees!) all had "functional but not Autopia" build-quality...meant to be OK for a vehicle that`s gonna get trashed off-road but not so OK for somebody who waxes their suspension.

On a more modern (and more on-topic) note, my best friend decided to keep a late model Grand Cherokee when the lease expired, didn`t like the new one nearly as well despite its supposed improvements. That`s turned out to be an OK experience that started as a lease that I kinda knee-jerked against

Post Thanks / Like

Rear Main Seal Vodoo

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

But OK#2, eh, I suppose a big part of my take on this revolves around my utter disdain for today`s vehicles. Basically don`t want *anything* remotely new regardless of the cost. I bet that `08 Crown Vic (basically the same as any older one) is the newest vehicle I`ll ever own. My wife won`t *take* a replacement for her `00 Audi, says it`s her "last car"; if it gets totalled she gets my `01.

IMO most people want vehicles that they really can`t afford so they either go in debt, pay outrageous prices to lease, or buy a used vehicle they can`t afford to keep up with (I go by the rule that if you couldn`t afford it when it was new then you probably can`t afford to maintain it when it`s used).
    I agree with you there my friend. Today`s cars have too much nonsense for the most part. I`m considering only 2 vehicles to replace this 2001 Pathfinder when the time comes - and they don`t make either one anymore:

1. Xterra: Built on Frontier truck platform (real frame) - which I believe is from the 1990s. Simple & reliable REAL 4wd (not AWD). Highly "fixable" at home. Not likely stoppable by any snow.

2. Toyota FJ Cruiser: Dunno as much about these, other than real 4WD & costs more than an Xterra... So, I`ll be going with #1.

*** Actually, briefly considered a Wrangler. But then you got American car Jeep problems. I`m no expert - but I highly doubt any Jeep is as trouble free and reliable as any Nissan or Toyo.

I have a friend who buys new cars all the time. He just sent me a text message he is buying this thing:

I`m not even sure what it is, some type of Merc that prolly costs a small fortune. Now dude has a good job, but he ain`t rich. He`ll prolly keep it for a year and a half and trade it in. To me that seems crazy expensive.

I may sound like a hypocrite, because I have a BMW M car. But, my plan was/is always to be buried in that car. Not buried like "financially buried", but buried like I`ll keep it so long they`ll be able to use it as my coffin. So far, it`s almost 10 years old, paid off, and looks almost show room new...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Mercedes GT AMG - Starts at $111k. Whew, that`s a lot of coin. Awesome car though!

I bought my last car new, mainly for the warranty and I knew I would be driving the snot out of it for the last 2 years. Then again, it`s a Hyundai Elantra base model.... not exactly a "premier" car. Plus the difference between new and "new-used" was a few grand (relatively small bump in price). Really want to get a truck again, but the $20 fill-ups and 38 mpg highway have me spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I agree with you there my friend. Today`s cars have too much nonsense for the most part. I`m considering only 2 vehicles to replace this 2001 Pathfinder when the time comes - and they don`t make either one anymore:

1. Xterra: Built on Frontier truck platform (real frame) - which I believe is from the 1990s. Simple & reliable REAL 4wd (not AWD). Highly "fixable" at home. Not likely stoppable by any snow.

2. Toyota FJ Cruiser: Dunno as much about these, other than real 4WD & costs more than an Xterra... So, I`ll be going with #1.

*** Actually, briefly considered a Wrangler. But then you got American car Jeep problems. I`m no expert - but I highly doubt any Jeep is as trouble free and reliable as any Nissan or Toyo.

I have a friend who buys new cars all the time. He just sent me a text message he is buying this thing:

I`m not even sure what it is, some type of Merc that prolly costs a small fortune. Now dude has a good job, but he ain`t rich. He`ll prolly keep it for a year and a half and trade it in. To me that seems crazy expensive.

I may sound like a hypocrite, because I have a BMW M car. But, my plan was/is always to be buried in that car. Not buried like "financially buried", but buried like I`ll keep it so long they`ll be able to use it as my coffin. So far, it`s almost 10 years old, paid off, and looks almost show room new...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy at it seems, IMO $111K isn`t huge money for a car these days. Possibly (IMO) because virtually *nobody* actually buys them for cash...mostly leases with a few others done with financing. Today`s replacement for my S8 would run a *LOT* more than that, and here I thought *mine* was a little pricey for a sensible sedan back in `01.

Swanicyouth- yeah, as my beater-Tahoe becomes less and less sensible to fix up (hey, I bought it trashed as a throw-away, never expected to like it so much) I`ve been wondering what I could get to replace it...and I`m kinda stumped.

Xterra, huh? I might oughta look at that, see if it might meet my oddball criteria. I too like such vehicles to be body-on-frame with actual 4WD.

The (modern) FJ is supposedly like the #1 vehicle for holding its value, but the outward visibility is a deal-breaker for me, I simply couldn`t live with that IRL.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information