Post Thanks / Like

2016 ATS-V or M3?

Hey everyone, looking for your opinions on this decision. I`ve narrowed my choice down to these two and am really having a tough time choosing. I like the looks of the M3 a bit more, but it would also end up costing about $200 more per month than the ATS-V. Your help is appreciated!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 ATS-V or M3?

That ATS-V is one sweet ride. Love the looks and I`m sure the performance will put a smile on your face. I vote for the caddy. FWIW, I`m not much of a BMW fan.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the new M3, the caddy is sweet but I have little to no faith when it comes to american made cars. Personally though, drive both and see which one you connect with more. It`s your choice and need to pick what the heart wants otherwise you`ll regret it.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Take them for a test drive then decide. I prefer the Cadillac over a BMW in my opinion.
    "I can shine your car if you don`t shine me on" -Mr. $lick
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not a Bimmer fanboy either here. I would take ANY V Caddy any day over the comparable BMW. Not interested in the German way of engineering.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

BMW hands down, no contest, I`ve been in multiple ATS`, let alone multiple modern Cadillac`s including decked out current Escalades. Base platform to base platform, the ATS is not bad, it reminds me of an older 3 series, but it lacks compared to a modern 3 series, IME. Their infotainment system is horrendous (Cadillac), the backup cameras can have a multiple second delay to come on, I`ve counted 5 seconds in one instance, thats enough time (when you`re in a real hurry) to back into someone else`s car. The resolution of said camera is nowhere close to BMW`s, all of the `touch sensitive` buttons are problematic and I don`t see the units lasting to 100K miles, not to mention the millions of finger prints that it will accumulate in three senconds. Ford used to have the touch sensitive buttons but figured out that they won`t last, so in the past few model years have switched back to real buttons. All of GM`s vehicles have that hideous sounding door chime that is ancient, GM has a history of recalling models, even the current 2015+ Cadillac and GMC variants of the Chevy Tahoe and Suburban have open recalls on a design flaw in the rear suspension. Let me tell you this, the previous gen of these SUV`s came with a rear multilink coil spring setup, how does a company have a design flaw in a system that should be lightly manipulated for a new gen, when the new gen still uses a rear multilink coil spring setup? I personally find this inexcusable and embarrassing for a high level company. The Suburban is the oldest model to sell continuously in the history of the United States and it has a design flaw in a simple manipulation, the GM Triplets should be the pinnacle of large SUV`s. I may only be working a college job at a dealership, but I have driven many a many brands for extended periods of time. IME and observation, as I am a car fanatic, there a few brands that are really nailing the industry and are at the top of the game:

European Brands:
    BMW/Mercedes/Porsche/Volvo

American Brands:
    Ford and Lincoln (they have Really been upping their game)/Jeep (Wranglers specifically, they are meant to be rugged and simplistic)

Asian Brands:
    Toyota and Lexus/Hyundai

Besides their crate motors, the Camaro and Corvette, I honestly see no reason (logically and historically) why consumer`s purchase other GM products. I do not mean to offend anyone, but when the volume knob on a brand new $60K+ GMC Yukon wiggles around, I can`t help but raise an eyebrow.

I write this without too much bias though, towards BMW, because I REALLY like the styling of the current Tahoe/Suburban and Yukon/Yukon XL, a lot. If these vehicles didn`t have the design flaw/open recall, and I was in a financial position to purchase one. I would build my own Yukon XL, even though I am nowhere near being married and have no desire to be in a committed relationship because of school. I really enjoy the boxy-ness of them and love the exterior lines that start at the headlights and move down the side to the tail lights, the Yukons especially just look right and refreshing. Yes there are wiggly buttons, but the interior styling of the Yukon is just right, not too boring like the Tahoe/Suburban and not too flashy like the Escalade. But there is always `something missing` in every current GM vehicle I`ve encountered and it really bothers me because I want to like them, however I just can`t because they are not complete packages.

Do yourself a favor and go with the BMW, you will not be disappointed. It is better at everything and BMW has been at the Top of Car and Drivers best list for a significant time.

BMW M is the benchmark in which all other manufacturers compare their products.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have been a Bimmer fan for over 16 years, a member of the BMWCCA all that time, have had several, and detailed a few hundred..

They are very well designed "Driver`s Cars", and if you like Driving, it will be hard to beat them at that..
    I agree German Engineering is very different from American in so many positive ways..

The only thing - and you already touched on it - they do cost more..

And the other thing not mentioned but very important - BMW`s need maintenance to keep them going and it will perhaps cost more when compared to other vehicles..

If I was looking for a BMW - used - I would only consider those that have extensive Maintenance Records that you can read and follow the pattern to determine how well the vehicle was maintained and if there were any chronic issues with that car..

If you want to look at the BMWCCA website, they have a Classified Section there on line where lots of Members sell their vehicles.. Look here - https://www.bmwcca.org/

Find a really good, I mean a really good BMW or German Independent Shop, and the cost will be still a lot, but less than going to the BMW Dealership..

If you live in the Pacific Northwest, Seattle area, etc., I would direct you to my old place of work - EastSide Bavarian, out of Issaquah,WA.. These guys are absolutely the Best on BMW, Audi and Volkswagen..

I have looked many times at the CTS and then the newer ATS and their design to me is very polarizing.. It is very angular, and fat at the same time... Im not sure I like it. I would probably not like it even more after looking at it for a few years and would want to change..

For a long time, only old people purchased Cadillac cars, and they were and are still very nice but not in the same league as a German car..

You will have fun with this ! The ATS might be just perfect in all areas for your needs and long-term plan..
    I like the ATS a little better than the CTS but again to my eyes, too many sharp angles and too wide looking..

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I`d factor in the Dealerships for both.

We initially switched to Audis because I couldn`t do business with the guy who bought the local Benz fanchise (goodness knows I tried). Can`t do business with the local BMW dealership either. For that matter, the Audi dealer I patronize is over an hour away (lots of other Audi dealerships along the way!), but they pick mine up and leave a loaner, my vehicles are safe with them, and they fix stuff properly the first time.

I simply can`t own many brands of cars because there are not acceptable service facilities for them in my area.

Post Thanks / Like

To me the bmw is a more tossable sports car while the caddy a more comfortable highway cruiser. Both will satisfy your go fast needs.

I`m not a big fan of American cars although I am pretty impressed with my recent jeep purchase.
    Likes MattPersman liked this post
    Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Either one you`ll love, I prefer the ats-v for the long term vs the m3 out of warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the advice so far guys, it`s all great stuff. Also, just for a little more background, I`m coming from a 2013 e92 M3 so the "logical" upgrade would be the new one. But I guess the main thing I`m wrestling with right now is whether the new M3 is really $200 per month better than the ATS-V

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice so far guys, it`s all great stuff. Also, just for a little more background, I`m coming from a 2013 e92 M3 so the "logical" upgrade would be the new one. But I guess the main thing I`m wrestling with right now is whether the new M3 is really $200 per month better than the ATS-V

The F8x M3/M4 is a completely different beast, the second iteration DCT is quite the unit.

Post Thanks / Like

The BMW for me. The Caddy`s front end just turns me off. Like Dan said "too angular". I`ve seen all the specs and it is just about as fast and Caddy has really upped its game, but I still would get the BMW. If you are leasing you don`t have to worry about the low resale value of the Caddy, but that figures into the BMW`s higher cost. Cadillac was pushing many of their models onto car rental companies, now they have stopped that and are trying to redeem the brand. Drive both of them. Let your butt decide, not your wallet.
    Likes Civicclutch, Stokdgs, BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

As you know the `16 Camaro is on the Alpha platform,,,,,,,Now lets see what GM adds for the Z/28.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Thread Information