Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Southern New Mexico which is NOT the Land of Enchantment.
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gonna buy new Sled. Need opinions on naturally-aspirated engines vs turbos

Dan F., forgive if I annoyed you? I get in grumpy moods when ever I have commiserated with car salesmen.

I am only interested in 2017 models, `cause I must like taking the big, big depreciation curve when I drive outa de new-car dealership (call me not very bright....). How often should I change oil, Dan F.? Some owners have told me they only use European oil for their German rides. We have always maintained all of our vehicles through regular oil changes, whether the actual mileage demands it or not. In my CTS-V, I never go "down to the wire", by the "oil use %" shown in my car`s "brain". Even being the dummy that I yam, I think I can see, why turbos could end up being fouled much easier.

Thanks, again, TheMeanGreen for the excellent comments and useful links. I had found the BMW tech guide explanation, but not the Autoevolution description. Much info, that will take a while to sink into me old brain.

Accumulator...you hit the nail on the head, so to speak, referring to competent area BMW shops. Everyone seems to despise the service department at El Paso BMW (my closest dealership). They have countless bad reviews, and one Bimmer-enthusiast friend who moved to Naples, FL, didn`t have much use for the El Paso service dept either. I will admit that this has taken some of the "gloss" away from BMW ownership for me, and that is certainly not at all fair to the car itself. I detested the Jag dealership in El Paso,...they were a complete bunch of nitwits (When I had to show the service manager an online diagram of how to replace a cabin filter in me XK, that wasn`t much of sell for their service dept.?!). It`s too bad, that some car dealerships (and not only German cars) may sell nice cars, but they could be pickier about the people in Service? Part of the reason, I walk up to drivers and ask questions about service as well. I think dealerships could make a lot more money, by providing good maintenance/repair? Quite a few owners here, `jump ship` as soon as their warranty expires. Fortunately there are 3 private German repair shops in my town, who appear (with my small sampling) to satisfy customers with good service. I don`t know if the shops can work on the very latest models though,...depends partly on what level codes they can "read"?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gonna buy new Sled. Need opinions on naturally-aspirated engines vs turbos

OpenRoad- At least your area does have some decent (independent) shops, great that they work on German Cars (in general rather than Marque-specific). The indie shop I used forever (EuroCar Service, now known as ESCTuning) no longer turns wrenches and it`s perhaps the primary reason I sold my final M3.

As I`ve posted many times, one of the biggest factors behind why my wife and I drive what we do it the availability of reasonably competent service (my Audi dealer is better than just reasonably competent, they`re great) that doesn`t result in cosmetic damage. Just don`t touch my paint and don`t return my vehicles in unsafe-to-drive condition (the latter is why I sold off the Benzes).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information