Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HID vs LED vs Halogen?

Quote Originally Posted by gret View Post
    Thanks guys! I was looking into retrofitting but i lack the time and the know how.. (more lacking the know how. Ill just use time as my excuse ) I have been looking into aftermarket housings that have a projector but aftermarket housings tend to suck dont they?
    You are correct. Some of those ebay projector headlights don`t provide the best light output. A retrofit would be the best option.

There is a guy on the grand prix forums that does a great job. Perhaps contacting him would help. He goes by classy retrofits. Google him for his site.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks gret thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I`ve been trying to figure out how to change the "Angel eyes" on my BMW to a brighter light. Good thread, I hope others chime in.
    Amigo !!
    Here is how you do the Angel Eyes Upgrade lighting on a Bimmer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-_cb_0jjRs
    When I had Bimmers, I used to use these guys alot for some parts and advice..
    Good Luck !
    Dan F
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Aftermarket HID and LED headlight bulbs are crap. Most of the trouble comes from the bulbs not being matched 100% to the housing. The only replacement bulb I`ve found that actually throws more usable light and is 100% legal is the Phillips Xtreme Halogen. In my opinion, tinting any lights or you car is stupid. I need to avoid buffalo and deer and I don`t need getting rear ended by someone who couldn`t see my tinted brake, tail or turn signal lights.

The OEM replacement (clear) headlight reviews on American muscle and Late Model Restoration have a few posts from guys who tossed their tinted headlights because they didn`t like the braille method of night driving. Do you want to look cool or hit thongs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang View Post
    ..I don`t need getting rear ended by someone who couldn`t see my tinted brake, tail or turn signal lights..
    That`s a good point, there`re lots of [dummies] out there who don`t need another reason to cause accidents. Plus, a certain type of LEO will pull over vehicles that appear to have too-dark brake/etc. lights. It`s happened to a surprising number of guys with stock Mercury Marauders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That`s a good point, there`re lots of [dummies] out there who don`t need another reason to cause accidents. Plus, a certain type of LEO will pull over vehicles that appear to have too-dark brake/etc. lights. It`s happened to a surprising number of guys with stock Mercury Marauders.
    I will NEVER understand "Car Guys" who are into fads like tinted lights. Not only are they dangerous, they are cop magnets. I don`t have anything that`s visible on my cars that isn`t 100% legal in all fifty states. No tinted lights, no aftermarket window tint, no clear lenses on what should be amber turn signals, etc. I refuse to get pulled over for an equipment violation.

On the other hand, I absolutely love guys who modify their cars into rolling violations. They keeps the cops who could be writing me speeding tickets busy. Thanks!

I happen to have a couple of hundred hours flight time in a police helicopter flying over Southern California. Cars with tinted headlights and / or tail lights really stick out in traffic - even from 700 feet above ground level. In fact, it is ridiculously easy to spot cars belonging to high schoolers and guys in their twenties. They`re all modded in extremely poor taste and often festooned with performance decals.

Every time some kid tells me he wants tinted lights and is looking for brighter bulbs I get the urge to slap him.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonic Mustang- Yeah, agree completely about the tinted lights. I do run brighter bulbs/improved wiring in some vehicles, but nothing [dumb that doesn`t really work right].

I actually also agree about dark/aftermarket window tint despite always having had it on my Crown Vics (always seem to be that way when I get them). I *REALLY* feel for LEOs who have to approach a vehicle with dark tint, gotta be one scary experience and besides being inconsiderate, that just potentially bodes ill for everybody involved. (Heh heh, I know how to behave during a traffic stop, and if I get pulled over in that car the windows are all going down before the LEO approaches, even if it`s pouring rain.)

The Cop Magnet thing can be funny...I`ve *never* been hassled for the usual "red flags" even when pulled over. Sometimes they mention something, but they never cite me for it..pays to be LEO-friendly with regard to how to handle interactions with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I will chime in since I have done several retrofits on my car. my .02 cents.

Unless you get a very high end OEM led setup from a luxury car (or newer corolla/camry), placing led bulbs into you low beam or high beam will more often than not be brighter but also glaring to others on the road. As others have mentioned, the reason is that the oem bowl is not meant to be used with an led (or HID for that matter) bulb source. Brighter headlight does not mean better headlight. It`s also matter of both color of the bulb and the way in which the oem halogen bowl or projector bowls was designed to reflect the light source back on the road.

Best usable color temps (as others mentioned) are bulbs at 4300k-4500kelvin. higher temps are whiter, lower and more yellow. It would seem that the human eye sees yellow-ish better than white-ish on the roads, therefore above 5000 k, it`s more aesthetics than useful. Lots of information here: danielsternlightingxcom

True (as in OEM) HID headlights still seem to beat led headlights in terms of spread/use on the roads. It`s not to say that led projectors are bad, it`s just that there still new. SO yeah, find a camry, lexus, corolla etc... factory equipped led projector, install it in your halogen headlights, and voila: you have an awesome, usable, brighter headlight output. Or pay someone to do it.
    If you are tinting your lights, then I would suggest an led bulb to compensate for the darker tint you put on. absolutely.

SO best bet is to get oem projectors from a lexus, bmw, acura etc... there are tons out there. A reliable place to go is `theretrofitsourcexcom`. you can find oem stuff and their own brand called morimoto. It`s cheaper, but works well, are reliable, and they have good customer service.
    HIDplanet forum also has gobs of information is you have hours to spare to learn more. I bet someone already did what you want to do...

If you want to stay with your oem but upgrade the bulbs, have you considered better halogen bulbs? Here is a good place to look if you haven`t already: store candlepower com

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Pull over right away.

2. Never every reach for anything inside the vehicle as you`re being pulled over.

3. Assume the "California Felony Stop Position." Keep your hands glued to the steering wheel.

4. Address the LEO correctly. Officer, Trooper, Deputy, etc. They really like that.

5. Even if it`s not required in your state, inform the LEO if you`re carrying or if there are weapons in the car.

6. Receive your verbal warning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information