Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Beater Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beater Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    IMO, with older vehicles it really does pay to keep a close eye on everything, including those areas nobody usually sees. I catch *so much* stuff that`s on it`s way to becoming a genuine issue...
    Oh definitely! I`ve replaced parts that could have lasted longer, but a couple hundred now might equal to several hundred later. Still kicking myself for not seeing the metal piece earlier, but it is what it is. I hate that the alternator technically was still good, but the bearing were feeling gritty. Only thing I could get locally was a reman, but it does have a lifetime warranty. I`m sure I`ll be able to do it faster next time...

I was able to "fix" the drivers side top hinge pin yet again yesterday. Only product I can find locally is Dorman and this time they didn`t have the exact part so I had to buy a bushing kit that is "universal" (Ford, Dodge, GM). Some bench grinder action on the pin and I made it work. It should last me till Spring where I can actually locate an AC Delco kit and take off the door for a proper fix. No pictures of this repair as it`s kinda ugly... I know it should be done right the first time, but it`s cold, windy, and I generally don`t feel like it right now. Heck just a couple weeks ago I let the dealer change the oil in the GTI, never thought I`d stoop to they level, but here we are, lol.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Ah yeah...Dorman Vehicle Door parts...got one of their doorlatches in the Tahoe, we`ll see how long until it needs a new one. Might have to use their stuff for the hinges in that when the time comes too.

A little leak under the A8, something you`d never see had I not kept it spotless under there, was indicative of a serious issue, once again I heard the "wow, good thing you caught that when you did!" from my Tech.

I don`t mind letting my Techs do the oil changes, even on vehicles I`ve equipped with Quick-Valves (sp?), usually just coincides with something else that does require a Pro`s attention so I have `em do it while that`s being done. They don`t mess it up and I spend the time on stuff I value more.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t mind letting my Techs do the oil changes, even on vehicles I`ve equipped with Quick-Valves (sp?), usually just coincides with something else that does require a Pro`s attention so I have `em do it while that`s being done. They don`t mess it up and I spend the time on stuff I value more.
    I`ve gotten to the point in my life where I`m financially able to do stuff like that. They did a great job, a tire rotation and oil change was only $85. I also had them look at what I thought was a valve cover leak, but was only my idiocracy spilling a little bit of oil during my last change. They cleaned it for free. The tech also lined up the wheels symmetrically all around, which I thought was nice. This might make some people irritated, but the tech must have liked what was playing on the radio as it was turned up more than I had it. I thought it was funny. Probably going to request the same tech next time. Coming up on 2 years of ownership so it`ll be due for a brake fluid flush and fuel filter.

Post Thanks / Like

Its got to get uglier before it gets better...

Too cold to paint the fender so I`ll be rocking it monochrome for a while. Still not driving it too much (once a week to work, about 60 miles round trip) as a wheel bearing is starting to make noise. Got plans to work on the brakes shortly.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Hey, you`re still at it!

The seemingly terminal rust hasn`t dissuaded you?

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Hey, you`re still at it!

The seemingly terminal rust hasn`t dissuaded you?
    Ehh, I wouldn`t call any of it really terminal at this point. After seeing some of the comparable trucks at the salvage yard, I have a pretty clean truck. I think a couple bed supports and a leaf shackle is the only thing a little iffy at this point. The truck is only around $14 a month to insure, so no sense in trying to rid of it at this point.

Current issue at point today was the front braking system. The pads have been getting low for a little while now, but always passed inspection and braked fine, no pulsing or dragging. Besides I only drove the truck 2-3K miles a year previously. With my new job, however, they`ve been accumulating quick! Couple months ago there was a slight squeaking noise that went along with speed. Stopped driving the truck as much. Time was now to do a brake "overhaul".

Went to the local parts store I like to frequent (mother actually works there, the usual "what did you break now" conversation ensued, lol...) picked up some pads, rotors, wheel bearings, and some other miscellaneous stuff. Part of me knew the calipers may be junk or seized so I asked if they had them in stock. They did, but I didn`t buy them trying to be hopeful.

Well, hopeful didn`t work... (the purple stuff is Permatex Brake Grease, best thing in the planet, even at $19 a bottle, worth it!)

As you see everything new. Between the old rusty slider pins, or the fact it was fighting me to get the caliper pushed in I gave up and decided it wasn`t worth me throwing a wrench upside a perfectly good truck or toolbox. Bought both drivers and passenger. This was also my first time packing bearings the old school way. Kinda a pain in the dingus, but after the first one it was ok. I found that gravity bleeding is a good method if your`e by yourself. I installed everything and cracked open the bleeder, let it open till it started to drip. Closed the bleeder and pumped the brakes. Repeated this process a couple times. I had a helper do the two man method, but come to find out no air came out after doing the gravity method.

I apparently replaced everything in time as you can see the pads were, uh, done. Yes, I`m a bad person for letting it get this bad, but I never had any issues, nor did I know they did this.

And the rotors were uh, crispy!

So, under $175 and a couple hours later I`m kicking myself for not doing this earlier. After bedding in the new brakes it is a whole different truck!
    Likes trashmanssd, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- So glad you did the brakes! Even with little use, it only takes one brief moment for your brakes to be the most important thing in your life.

Did you put the calipers on bare? They kinda look like bare metal in the one pic; if so, I`d do *something* to keep them from getting all rusty-crusty.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Did you put the calipers on bare? They kinda look like bare metal in the one pic; if so, I`d do *something* to keep them from getting all rusty-crusty.
    They have a light gray paint/coating on them. The truck isn`t going to get used too much in the winter anyways as it does terrible in inclimate weather. As much as I hated getting it dirty, the GTI has been one of the most predictable vehicles in the wintry mess, including that sudden patch of ice (not to say one should drive without caution and without care!). Anyways, the "hardware" all got a coating of brake grease and the threads got a thin coating of anti-seize. Actually this braking system has no hardware, just the clip on the one pad on the back that fit into the piston. Was a little bit different to me as I`m used to cleaning the caliper brackets and putting in new clips.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, OK, sounds good.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread Information