Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Beater Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beater Truck

Weather is warming up and I do believe it`s time to put a little love in the beater. Today`s agenda was doing something with the rust on the bottom of the drivers door and tailgate.

So, after a quick run of the grinder and wire wheel followed by the sandblaster, it was time for a couple coats of rusted metal primer.

Followed by a heavy coat of undercoating.

The tailgate got a couple coats of gloss white farm implement paint. Does it match? No, not 100% but I doubt anybody really is going to notice it. The drivers door has not been painted yet. My can of matching paint went bad so I`m waiting to get down to the paint store.

In other events, I don`t think I`ve ever really cleaned the door hinge area, so what the heck let`s make a go at that!

Before:

Agitated (as was I, heh):

Clean:

And a quick picture of the floor cleaning process. I love the rubber floors! Some reason I didn`t capture an afters.

Slowly going to get working on the exterior. Decided the easiest route is to paint the lower portions a different color and re-clear the truck. Probably going to go with a dark gray.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Glad to see you`re getting those areas all cleaned up!

It`ll be interesting to see how the tailgate/door bottom fixes age.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Nizmo- Glad to see you`re getting those areas all cleaned up!

It`ll be interesting to see how the tailgate/door bottom fixes age.
    Yea I`m not sure how long it will last either, but I took the preventative approach with the undercoating. Obviously with the drain holes the water is always down there.

In other news my co-worker is letting me use his spare welder for as long as I need it, so I believe it is time to do something about that holey rocker. Was going to go with a whole piece replacement, but I think with some scrap sheet metal I can make something happen!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Yea I`m not sure how long it will last either, but I took the preventative approach with the undercoating. Obviously with the drain holes the water is always down there.

In other news my co-worker is letting me use his spare welder for as long as I need it, so I believe it is time to do something about that holey rocker. Was going to go with a whole piece replacement, but I think with some scrap sheet metal I can make something happen!
    back when I was young and cars weren`t galvanized. I took an approach similar to yours on the doors. What I did on top of that was squirt a fair amount of hydraulic fluid in the bottom of the doors. Four more years in Michigan salt and snow, the rust never showed through any area of the doors again while I had it.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you catch such stuff soon enough and go about it right...and are lucky...sometimes that seemingly unfixable rust *can* be arrested. I fixed the bottom of a door on the Tahoe...started coming back. Did it again differently, and years later with lots of winter exposure it`s still OK...at least for now. But then I spent many hours on that second fix, and I don`t mean just six or eight.

Post Thanks / Like

Been having some handling issues recently. Going around corners was getting sketchy as all get out! Last known shock replacement was 100K ago so I believe it was time and a set of 4 cheap AC Delco`s on Rock Auto was $75 shipped to my door in 2 days.

The fronts were ok-ish. They actually came off with ease; most people in the rust belt have to cut the top off. Not me, after the initial loosen with the wrench all I needed was my fingers.

The rears were a whole different animal. The inner bushings were seized to the bottom bolt/stud and required some careful cussing and hammering. But, I do think I found the issue!

Yea one was not doing a darn thing! Handles like a new truck now! The front sway-bar links are getting crispy so another visit to Rock Auto will be in order!
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Oh man, you`re starting to scare me That was some seriously compromised suspension stuff, makes me wonder about the rest of [everything down there].

And of course, heh heh...the notion of somebody having to cut off suspension stuff makes me want to go on a rant about maintaining one`s stuff

Post Thanks / Like

The rust belt can be a royal pain when trying to work on things. The salt they use around here is brutal! Corrosion can be so bad it`ll laugh at every penetrant you throw at it. Even my oil filter was starting to rust and it had only been on there since October.

Whenever I work on things I always like to use anti-seize and lots of it!

Luckily for me as far as suspension stuff goes everything has been redone using Moog Problem Solver parts that are greaseable. The only slop in the system is the steering box, and it`s not that bad yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Heh heh, remember..I know from the Rust Belt

How are the Problem Solver bits for yours? The stuff they make for Crown Vics isn`t nearly as good as it used to be.

For the steering box- Red Head Steering Gear. Period. Harvey and Linda are great. Even built me a fast-ratio box for the old Tahoe!

EDIT: Oh, and !YES! on the anti-seize! A tech once cleaned mine *off* the lugs on one vehicle without telling me, and I snapped two of `em right off with my regular breaker bar, frozen solid with rust. "But they`ll come loose!"...nope, I check `em and they never have. Gotta give a little thought to "wet torque values" though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    How are the Problem Solver bits for yours? The stuff they make for Crown Vics isn`t nearly as good as it used to be.

EDIT: Oh, and !YES! on the anti-seize! A tech once cleaned mine *off* the lugs on one vehicle without telling me, and I snapped two of `em right off with my regular breaker bar, frozen solid with rust. "But they`ll come loose!"...nope, I check `em and they never have. Gotta give a little thought to "wet torque values" though.
    Honestly I`m not sure about the Problem Solver stuff. They were installed about a year before I bought the truck. I`ve heard it is a good set-up on the S-series trucks. Pretty sure by the time the truck needs those parts again it`ll be too far gone and no longer pass inspection. Therefore it`ll be junkyard time unfortunately. I had dreams of a V8 and 6MT swap, but the truck is far too gone for that.

You mentioning the lugs made me remember an "oh crap!" moment from today. Got back from the store and noticed the inside on the front passenger rim was soaking wet. I thought the rubber brake line had failed right there in the driveway. Put my finger in the liquid and smelled it. Oh you dolt it`s the Fluid Film you put on the rotor face where the wheel touches the rotor! Doh!

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioning the lugs made me remember an "oh crap!" moment from today... it`s the Fluid Film you put on the rotor face where the wheel touches the rotor! Doh!
    Heh heh, not enough to cause issues I hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Passed inspection for another year!

But I may have inadvertently sold it, lol. Service advisor was saying he had one just like it, but sold it. Wish he hadn`t of sold it, so in my infinite wisdom said I`d sell him mine. Gave him a high (for the truck) price and said that`s a really good price for those trucks and got my number. Seemed really interested in it, and while I don`t really need to part with it I`m a man of my word...
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What did u end up doing with the rocker?

Post Thanks / Like

Passed inspection for another year!

But I may have inadvertently sold it, lol. Service advisor was saying he had one just like it, but sold it. Wish he hadn`t of sold it, so in my infinite wisdom said I`d sell him mine. Gave him a high (for the truck) price and.. I`m a man of my word...
    Glad you got through the inspection.

Heh heh, that inadvertent sale is kinda what happened with me on my beater-Blazer. Said something like that to my good painter`s son (body guy, figured he`d be as scared of rust/etc. issues as I was) and he just had to have it. And of course, the rust *didn`t* come back after all...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch
    What did u end up doing with the rocker?
    Still rusty, lol.

I haven`t had time to do anything with it honestly. Just started a job that I don`t have to be on the road so that`ll free up my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Glad you got through the inspection.

Heh heh, that inadvertent sale is kinda what happened with me on my beater-Blazer. Said something like that to my good painter`s son (body guy, figured he`d be as scared of rust/etc. issues as I was) and he just had to have it. And of course, the rust *didn`t* come back after all...
    I was surprised, yet not surprised. I had the front tires off a couple weeks ago to change the shocks and the brakes looked good. There`s only one brake line that looks sketchy, but I guess they thought it was ok. Guess it helps to know the techs there though. I know on my GTI`s inspection the guy put a little smiley face beside his signature on the sticker, lol.

I`d really hate to sell the truck, but with having the drive almost 60 miles per day now I think I`ll need the 4wd. I`ll makes a little bit of profit from the truck to put down on a newer model. That is if the guy decides he wants it. He wants to do a V8 swap as I did, but I just don`t have the time. It makes it a little better knowing it will go to a home with similar thoughts.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information