Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Beater Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beater Truck

Nizmo- More progress! As long as the "brown vs. blue" color match is OK, white is nice to work with, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Been doing a little more maintenance before winter so it got an oil change and replaced the serpentine belt. Also noticed the drivers side rear cab mount rubber is a little squished down causing the cab to bounce a little bit. For the time being I was going to add a couple washers till I had time in the spring to replace all, but the keyword here was. Got out my breaker bar and little by little it was coming loose. I thought it would be time to break out the impact and wizz it out, yea no. Snapped off in the worst place ever, up inside the cab. Ok, no big deal for now I have room to weld a nut on and use a bolt to hold it on. Problem being the metal is so rusty that I could not get a good bond so the final tighten I heard the dreaded "SNAP!" Threw in the towel and left it be. Not exactly the optimal situation, but at this point it will likely be gone in the spring. Starting a new job that pays alot better and I will likely get something with 4wd. Upon further investigation the cab corners are shot, drivers side rocker is done, and the bed supports are completely done. Frustrated as I`ve got so much time (and money) in it, but I know my point with it.

Been looking at mid 00`s Chevy 2500 Silverado`s and they seem to be going for $10K in decent shape. Don`t need the 2500 part, but the 6.0 is what I want...
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Aw man, and after everything you`ve done on it too!

But yeah, my Yukon XLD was basically the 2500 in SUV form and that 6.0 was indeed nice for something that size.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Aw man, and after everything you`ve done on it too!
    Oh I agree, but I`m at the point where it`s going to take too much effort to keep it decent. Sometimes you just gotta know when to stop. The valvetrain tick and piston slap is getting louder and the front end is going to need a rebuilt here soon. Not to mention the body repairs it needs. All in about $1K in work on a truck that`s worth about that. And that`s if the clutch holds together!

I really need something bigger and more powerful. Daily driving this thing for about 4 months and the stiff clutch is taking its toll. Not to mention I don`t feel comfortable family driving it as it can be hard to get in gear and you do not want that happening down the mountain. I know what to do, but they don`t!

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, yeah...factor in The Family and it does seem like a no-brainer at this point.

And I hear you on the clutch; I can either drive a stick or exercise, but I can`t do both or I develop knee issues. Easy call...

Post Thanks / Like

Winters just about here, so I needed to get something to hold the sand above the axle. $30 in some lumber and I think it`ll work!

They`re calling for 1"-3" Thursday so some winter "drifting" will be in order, hehe. 300lbs seems to do most of the trick without bogging the little engine too much. 90 wheel horsepower doesn`t do too well with heavy loads.
    Likes trashmanssd, SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good grab. Those small pick-ups are at a premium. No one wants to get rid of them.

Jeep is coming out with a Wrangler-based pick up. They’ll sell everyone they make.
    Likes Nizmo, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Hope that Traction Enhancement doesn`t mess with how it handles/brakes/etc. I`ll feel better when you get out of that and into whatever comes next.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Hope that Traction Enhancement doesn`t mess with how it handles/brakes/etc. I`ll feel better when you get out of that and into whatever comes next.
    It actually rides alot better, but yea braking is affected a little bit. Although I use the transmission to do the slowing going down the mountain. They`re now predicting 5" to 8" so this aught to be interesting. I could take the Liberty, but it`s one wheel peel on each axle so I`m not sure how much better off I`d be. Worst case scenario I`d rather smash up the truck, but I don`t predict that happening....

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- As long as you don`t involve anybody else or get hurt...eh, I`m kinda fanatical about having total vehicle control regardless of conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- As long as you don`t involve anybody else or get hurt...eh, I`m kinda fanatical about having total vehicle control regardless of conditions
    Oh yea I totally get that. Even though it`s a beater I keep it as mechanically sound as I can. The brakes have good life in them, all the lines are ok, good tires, etc. Even though I might not be the best driver, I`m well versed in how this thing handles in adverse weather and conditions. This Spring`s freak snowstorm was a good example; I had just taken out the sand in the back and boom 6" of unplowed and untreated roads. Handled it like a champ, tired to get sideways on the first big curve on the mountain, but experience taught me to let up on the throttle and it`ll correct itself (which it did). I see way to many videos of people freaking out, slamming on the brakes, and steering the wrong direction as they slide right into the ditch.

Post Thanks / Like

I used toss the snow shovel in the back when I had a brand new 94 S-10 stick shift 2 wheel drive. In a pinch I would just shovel a bunch snow into the bead for added traction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Oh yea I totally get that...
    OK, copy that...you just stumbled onto another of my hot-button issues; I`m an absolute *FANATIC* about everybody having 100% control over their vehicles at all times. Period.

I see way to many videos of people freaking out, slamming on the brakes, and steering the wrong direction as they slide right into the ditch.
    VDI`s big study showed that virtually everybody loses control at 40-some% of a given vehicle`s capabilities; "Car Guys" with Racing School/Track Days/etc. experience lost it in the 50s, which was statistically insignificant. (Minimal passing score at VDI is 80% and nobody attains that in just a few hours ).

Sorry about the rant, but personal injury aside, if somebody hits the `93 Audi it`s a paperweight (with a market value under $1K) as parts simply don`t exist. Great choice for a winter car, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

S10: 0 Guardrail: 1

Coming home from work this morning and hit an icy bridge. Got it in a controlled slide, but as soon as I got off the bridge It went haywire. There was an oncoming truck and my only option was to fight it to the guardrail. I hit it around 30mph and thought I done it in, but not as much as I thought. Bumper was pushed into the tire so I couldn`t go anywhere, local fireman gave me his 10lb maul, but it wasn`t working. Had a family member coming so I had time to think. Ah! I got some ratchet straps. Tied a couple to the guard rail and bumper and ratcheted. It came off the tire, but sprung back. Said screw it the bumpers already trashed. Tightened up the straps, got in the truck, and floored it in reverse. Worked

(no the light bar wasn`t lit driving, I just used it to see better)

Truck is driveable, I`ll have to tie up the headlight assembly, but that`s it. I`ll fix it in the spring time.
    Likes trashmanssd, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Sure glad there were no injuries (other than the truck). This is exactly what I worry about when vehicles aren`t set up right for winter driving.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information