Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Beater Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beater Truck

Time for some more maintenance for the truck!

Me and my new coworker have been discussing his trucks brake issues and I questioned the last time he flushed the old brake fluid out. This made me question the S10 since I`ve never done it, and God knows if the previous owner did it. So a trip to Wal-Mart for a couple bottles of brake fluid, a helper, and an hour later...

This is what brake fluid is supposed to look like (on right...)

Overall a super easy job to do, and it might just be the placebo effect, but the braking system seems to work better.

Now I still have plenty of DOT3 brake fluid left, I decided since the clutch uses the same fluid I decided it was time to do it. This was the old fluid;

Previously after heavy town traffic the clutch would get stiffer than it already is. Drove around and used the clutch a lot and to my amazement it feels 100% better!
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes SWETM, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had the brake fluid flush/replace last oil change. It did indeed make a difference in the brake`s.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Yikes, I gather your reservoir is too opaque for you to see its condition...but I`ll still admonish you for not opeing it up an checking it sooner
    Glad you got it changed out, better late than never!

Eh, sorry if I sound harsh.. it`s just that I take "new-to-me vehicle brakes" very seriously regardless of what the maint records say.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, it`s more ignorance on my part really. I`ve never had something this old before. Normally it was oil changes, gas, and go. But something older needs more attention to keep it going. Next is tge power steering system and the brake booster is starting to leak. Never ending.

Ordered a replacement rocker panel today, so getting close to thst job.

Post Thanks / Like

So you gonna keep it?

And yeah...when I first saw my `93 Audi`s condition (the OE wouldn`t sell it to me at that point) I simply refused to drive it, and issued dire warnings to her about *anybody* driving it, until it had a full brake job. All based on a quick look under the hood when I was going to drive it (a whole mile) to my place for a Detail. "No, I`ll take it to my mechanic but nowhere else. It`s simply unsafe."

I`m used to...far too used to!...salvaging cars that only I`d appreciate, so I`m used to what you find on "neglected until they`re unsafe" vehicles. Expensive hobby, one that I`m trying to ditch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    So you gonna keep it?

And yeah...when I first saw my `93 Audi`s condition (the OE wouldn`t sell it to me at that point) I simply refused to drive it, and issued dire warnings to her about *anybody* driving it, until it had a full brake job. All based on a quick look under the hood when I was going to drive it (a whole mile) to my place for a Detail. "No, I`ll take it to my mechanic but nowhere else. It`s simply unsafe."

I`m used to...far too used to!...salvaging cars that only I`d appreciate, so I`m used to what you find on "neglected until they`re unsafe" vehicles. Expensive hobby, one that I`m trying to ditch
    For the time being I recon. We`ll see how it does this winter, although I don`t see any winter driving issues honestly.

It has sorta become part of the family, as dorky as it sounds. My new coworkers have already given it a nickname (although I won`t say as it isn`t, uh, family friendly, lol).

When I first got the truck it was pretty solid so I didn`t really do anything to it other than an oil change. I`ve been doing just preventive maintenance to keep it going along. The only "major" failure was the heater core. The engine still ticks and taps, but keeps going on. It`s so darn slow going up the mountain, but the gear ratios are perfect for going down I might touch the brakes twice.

Received my rocker panel panel today and it looks like someone has already done it before. Not surprised as all trucks, big and small, of the era did the same thing. It will require more cutting and welding on my end, but nothing I can`t handle. The cab corners were replaced with a panel that went all the way to the roof. Interesting as it seems that panel is no longer available? Almost tempted to cut them off and start over. As of now a hole in the rocker will not pass inspection so it has to be done. I should have done it right in the beginning, but was short on time and didn`t have a welder suitable.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, OK...looking forward to your next update.

Post Thanks / Like

Time for a little more work on the truck! The rear diff cover has looked a little sad for a while, so I think it`s time to do something about it. While not leaking, for about $40, it`s cheap insurance!

This is the old cover. A little crispy, but after closer examination looks to be the original cover that was installed in 1998. It was re-used when the previous owner had a locker installed.

Popped open the cover, and to my amazement everything was in top shape! Just look at the cute little 7.625" locker!

And because I`m a total dork and fun loving guy, I painted the replacement purple! (Note, that`s not oil everywhere, I Fluid Filmed the bejebus out of everything)

As seen in the last photo I went a little thicker with the gear oil. Being a locker it`s known to pop and bang around on corners and low traction situations. The heavier oil seems to have quieted it down over half. The rear end was probably due for a fluid change anyways, so two birds, one stone. The replacement cover was a Dorman, so it won`t last near as long. I`m tempted to sandblast the old cover and repaint it for the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Hey, cool little project! I can appreciate a bit of whimsy like the Purple

And yeah, that *is* a "cute little Locker"! I was wondering whether it was a real Locker (as opposed to a regular LSD) but if it acts like that during low speed turns...

Heh heh, I share your suspicions about anything Dorman, with the possible exception of lug nuts.

I dunno if I could live with the Fluid Film on the whole rear axle housing though, looks kinda slimy to me. Think I`d have hit it with Eastwood`s Heavy Duty Anti-Rust, same idea but available in black so it looks like paint when it`d dried.

Post Thanks / Like

Time has come to take care of the hole in the rocker. There was two options I could have gone with, a slip on style, or one you cut out and replaced. After weighing my options I decided to just go with a slip on. It will more than likely last the life of this truck, and honestly I didn`t feel like tearing apart half the side of the truck.

Test fitting the panel. Fitment was laughable at best and required some "gentle" finesse.

Always wear your appropriate safety shoes when cutting and hammering, heh. The cab corner was showing signs of moisture bubbling so paint was removed while I was there. Discovered the cab corner is a cover up panel as well, and unfortunately getting thin. It is what it is, we`ll cross that bridge when and if it happens. With the bottom secure I was able to push on the top portion and spot weld it on. Most people use panel adhesive, but with the iffy fitment and a lack of clamping ability, it was easier this way. Spot welded all around and the seam inside was roughly finished off with a fiberstrand product. Applied 2 coats of self etching primer for now, it will need a thin smoothing coat of filler, but right now is decent.

Like I said before, this is a "cover up", but for a cheap truck it`ll do and now pass inspection again. If this was a resto project I would have done different. I`ll work on it again next weekend, but for the time being I`ll have to rock the ghetto primer look.
    Likes mc2hill, Stokdgs, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, you keep getting deeper into it, huh? That was a good one to get out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work (and toes!).
    I have a 2000 Frontier and recently used some Dupli-Color Rocker Guard to cover up some chipped paint under the doors. They claim it is impact resistant, and looks good after several months, but we will see!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    Nice work (and toes!).
    I have a 2000 Frontier and recently used some Dupli-Color Rocker Guard to cover up some chipped paint under the doors. They claim it is impact resistant, and looks good after several months, but we will see!
    Heh, I put on my old work boots and jeans before I started welding, safety 3rd!

I did a similar thing for my rockers before and a word of caution, If you happen to get moisture under it you`ll start getting rust bubbles. That happened to me and surface rust popped up after a couple years. I still have to take the drivers side down to bare metal and reprime and paint.
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Heh, I put on my old work boots and jeans before I started welding, safety 3rd!

I did a similar thing for my rockers before and a word of caution, If you happen to get moisture under it you`ll start getting rust bubbles. That happened to me and surface rust popped up after a couple years. I still have to take the drivers side down to bare metal and reprime and paint.
    Thanks for the heads up, I will have to monitor this!

Post Thanks / Like

Got some paint on it now! The paint actually matches, but the rest of the truck is dirty from all the rain we`ve had. After a couple weeks just primer there was a spot that bubbled on the cab corner. Pulled out the spot sandblaster and after using it found a couple small pin holes. No time to replace those this year so a skim coat of fiberstrand and a slight coating of glazing and it looks ok. I got a small run on the cab corner trying to use up an old can, but it`s getting a cab corner in the spring anyways...

Never thought it was possible to blend it in with spray cans and make it not noticable, but even in person you`d have a hard time finding it. (note overspray was already on door latch) That was my reasoning for going so far back on the sill, seemed to work. I`ll do the same to the drivers size when I grind off the old undercoating that developed moisture under it.

Doors were dirty, but after a wash it matched enough for now.

Likes trashmanssd, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information