Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Beater Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beater Truck

Do a full professional detail on the exterior! And post the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Needs an engine...

Edit: Guess I need to splain`. Apparently daily driving this thing up the mountain was not good for it. Upon further investigation it looks like coolant was boiling over and not reading it on the temp gauge. The engine has always had a low knocking noise when cold, I figured it was just spark knock. No, after draining the oil this weekend and seeing tons of copper in the pan it dawned on me the rod bearings are going. Deciding what I want to do at this point, and made sure my roadside is paid up. Really hate to put miles on the GTI, so I will still drive it 3 or so days a week till it gets worse. Put thicker oil in it and cross my fingers.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Aw gee, sorry to hear about that
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about the engine.

Could it be that your thermostat is jamed at the closed position? Do you get the right heat into the truck? If you don`t get the heat in when setting the cold/hot to hot. It`s the thermostat and could cause overheated coolant. If so it could be revived by boiling it in a saucepan (google translate lol) and see if it`s opens again. Otherwise it`s not much $ for a new one.

Then maybe change the motor oil and the oil filter more regualar than useally. So you have as good as possible lubrication and cooling from the oil. Maybe you can extend the time till it leaves in.

You seem to have put in alot of time to hold the truck up. So hope you find a way to extend it`s life some more.

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the thermostat is fine, these motors are notorious for head gasket issues. The main deal is taking the truck up and over the mountain; it`s screaming (no tach so I don`t know exact RPM) in 3rd gear as it`s the only gear that will climb. Typically 45 doesn`t sound bad, but sometimes I am over zealous and go 55. I have some 0w40 Rotella T6 oil in there now, so it will flow nice and easy when cold and thicker when warmed up. I`ll drive it till she goes!

Crazy guy I work with (lead fabricator from the show Road Hauks on History Channel, look it up if you wish) is a hardcore VW guy and wants me to put a 1.9 TDI in there. He`s doing a truck like mine here soon, so we`ll see. Adapter kits are $1K and a donor car is $500, plus tuning. We`ll see how the first one goes. I might patch and limp it along another year and trade up to a 4wd truck.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Much as I hate to throw in the towel on vehicles that I just *know* can be kept going...if you have a potential buyer who wouldn`t care about the engine, well.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Nizmo- Much as I hate to throw in the towel on vehicles that I just *know* can be kept going...if you have a potential buyer who wouldn`t care about the engine, well.....
    Kind of where my mind is heading. Truck will be paid off soon (wait, Nizmo, you financed an old truck? Let me explain; local credit union was having a low interest deal, overall it might be an extra $300, but I got to keep my savings and build some more credit....) so after I get the title release it`ll be an easier sell. I hate to put the extra 13K miles on the GTI, but I can get more for the truck if it sounds decent and not have a hole through the block (although that would kinda be epic...).

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Understand completely about the financing, lots of considerations these days.

What I *don`t* really understand is your reluctance to put miles on the GTI, I`d drive the wheels off it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    What I *don`t* really understand is your reluctance to put miles on the GTI, I`d drive the wheels off it.
    It`s my first new car and I just want to keep it nice. Guess I need to get that mentality out of my head, lol. Didn`t drive it in the salt and snow but once in its life so far. Looks like it`s gonna get coated underneath this year, although VW seems to hold up under corrosion.

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- OK, what can I say...that`s how I was with some Milestone Cars! Reality always had other plans, the most pampered cars are the ones that irreparable damage befell Sheesh, I Deer Incident-ed the S8!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that 1.9tdi is an awesome motor. My stepfather had a VW Passat 1.9tdi -97 with a tunebox in it. You got alot of miles out of a tank. Could be an interesting swap to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Yeah that 1.9tdi is an awesome motor. My stepfather had a VW Passat 1.9tdi -97 with a tunebox in it. You got alot of miles out of a tank. Could be an interesting swap to do.
    Yea the guy was like "you can get almost 50mpg with that set-up!" I really don`t care about fuel economy, I just want to pull the mountain, lol.

In other news I`m a dolt, while I can`t explain the copper in the oil (maybe I brushed my arm against the rusty frame moving the oil pan?) but the low knocking when cold is piston slap. Explains why it gets real loud at 15* during the winter.

The lifter tick is a meh thing to me. Some new rockers, lifters, and push rods are a simple thing to do (to me atleast) and about $200 overall. But, it only does it when cold, so I can wait a bit.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Now that the engine "issues" seem to be outta the way for now, I guess I can turn my attention to the body. So I was gently poking around on the rusty rocker spot and my screwdriver went right through. Ugh. It got ugly from there...

So, the initial quick repair is going to be fun! Going to order a Keystone slip on panel and weld it on. The inner rocker will be sandblasted and the small hole can be patched.

PS, if you guys are tired of seeing these post, I can cut back. I know it isn`t exactly "detailing", but a little project progress thread
    Likes trashmanssd, screamng, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- No, no...keep `em coming! Though I *am* often left thinking "better him than me"
    Likes Nizmo, trashmanssd, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks trashmanssd, screamng, Nizmo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, Love the post find it interesting. Also in the camp of glad its not me.
    Likes screamng, Nizmo liked this post
    Thanks Nizmo thanked for this post

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information