Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Beater Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beater Truck

I bought one those brand new, 1994 Chevy S-10 Red with gray interior. Mine was the cheapest most striped version they sold. i think it was 9400$ sticker got it for 9k even, reliable as all heck and very easy to bump start. I used bump start it all the time just for fun barley get it rolling in either direction and poop clutch and she would fire right over. also very easy to power shift like a big diesel truck barley ever used clutch other than taking off from a stand still.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    I love the steering wheel wrap, Parachute cord?
    Yup
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Got the seats installed and mocked up the center console. All I can say is, I hate rust! The last 2 bolts that go through the body were rusted solid. Went to Harbor Freight and bought an electric impact, no bueno. Resorted to crawling underneath and cutting them off!

Seats installed:

Console sitting in place, just have to find a way to securely mount it.

This thing is so much more comfortable now. Going to be even moreso once I get the console mounted.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Love watching your progress!

Was the floorpan very rusty or just the seat bolts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Nizmo- Love watching your progress!

Was the floorpan very rusty or just the seat bolts?
    Floorpan is really solid, it`s just on those GM`s the back 2 inner seat bolts petrude underneath about 3/4". After 17 years of road salt they were completely frozen on there. I guess I can chalk it up as checking for fuel leaks with the grinder under there...

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Heh heh, glad you didn`t find any fluel leaks

Yeah, I`m always cleaning those bolts on the Tahoe...lots of stuff under there that shouldn`t be allowed to stay salt-encrusted for too long.

And lucky you that the floorpan is solid!

Post Thanks / Like

Houston, I think we broke something, it was only a matter of time. The top end is starting to sound really unhealthy, bottom end so far sounds ok, but I think it`s only a matter of time. Currently using (and leaking) a quart of oil every 300-400 miles. I doubt the previous owner neglected it, but where I live is not easy on an engine. You`re typically lugging or running it high RPM up a 10-14% grade mountain. Switching out the oil for Rotella T6 0w40 to see if I can live it out the winter. Oil pressure has been funny, I don`t know if the bypass valve failed or is clogging or the sending unit is failing. But it has too high of oil pressure. Right now sitting on 40psi hot. Working on finding a mechanical gauge to confirm.

The transmission is also going bad. 3rd and 4th gear syncro are shot, rev-match double clutch is a must! Also making one helluva whine, goes away instantly when you press in the clutch. She`s pooched.

Might be V8/T56 time sooner than I woulda liked!

Post Thanks / Like

Changed the oil out to the T6 0w40 and put the larger capacity AC Delco PF52 filter on there. It was a squeeze, but fit. Hopefully the extra filter media will provide better filtering capacity. The drain plug seemed to be a culprit in some leaking, so it was replaced. The old magnetic plug had no debris on it, so that`s a good thing. Oil pressure went down about 10psi hot, so it`s sitting about 30ish. Not like it was when I bought it, but lower than it was. Valvetrain noise is gone at the moment and it`s running the quietest it has since I bought it. Will know better on a cold-cold start. Is a thicker oil a band-aid? Yea, but it`s not a daily driver.

Post Thanks / Like

Change the spark plugs and wires they said. It`ll be easy they said. To the GM engineer that decided to put the coil packs where they did, I hope I never run into you because I WILL slap you!

Assume the position...

There they are...!

This wasn`t fun either!

All put together and runs much better. Looking at the old plugs, it does seem cylinders 1 and 4 are the oil burners. Oh well...

In other news, I put about 1,000lbs of mulch in the back and it barely squatted!

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- That must`ve been a, uhm...unpleasant job. Looks like it`s already serving the intended purpose, hauling that load of mulch!

Post Thanks / Like

Small update; this thing is starting to turn into a daily driver it seems. Nighttime visibility is meh at best and going up and down the mountain can be challenging with adverse conditions and fog. An upgraded pair of headlights aren`t much better than what`s on there now so I decided to do some Amazon shopping.

Added a 20" LED light bar facing downward as to not blind other drivers. But man does it work!

Wired the trigger source off the tail-lights so it will only come on with the lights. The bar installation itself was easy, but the wiring took me half the day to make it look neat and not a cobbled mess!

It works!

Total cost for light, wiring harness/relay, wire loom, and connectors was $60.

I`ve posted this to a couple other places, but I know a couple of you have liked the updates to the old truck. I seem to have the oil consumption issue under control now. Seems if you run the crap out of it and not grandma it doesn`t consume much oil. Transmission is still iffy; I changed the oil out of it a while back and just what I thought, tiny bits of brass from the syncro`s were floating in the old fluid. Double-clutching doesn`t bother me really.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Small update; this thing is starting to turn into a daily driver it seems....
    Heh heh, yeah...the appeal of a non-Autopian beater

That was an inventive approach, the LED bar.

..I`ve posted this to a couple other places, but I know a couple of you have liked the updates to the old truck...
    Absolutely! More interesting to me than something I don`t consider a, uhm...real-life vehicle.

Double-clutching doesn`t bother me really.
    I say people oughta do that anyhow. IMO Synchros get asked to do more than they`re really designed to do thus they seldom seem to last the life of the vehicle, at least not in most people`s hands.
    Thanks Nizmo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, typical sight...

Heh-heh, nah. Thought I was having thermostat issues since the temp gauge was reading lower than I`m used to, or remember from last year. So today it got a new thermostat, hoses, temperature sensor, and of course a fill and spill on the Dex-cool coolant. The hoses turned out to be original (September 1998, la mierda!) so it wasn`t a bad thing. Temp didn`t read any different, but the heater did seem to work better.

Nice and toasty:

PS, don`t ask me where that speed limit sign came from...

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Sounds like it was good to get the new hoses no matter what, and I bet some of the other stuff was ready too. You keep pluggin` away at it and you might not think of it as a "beater truck" any more
    Thanks Nizmo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

With winter approaching I`ll try and drive it as much as possible to avoid salt on the GTI or Camry.

I did do my first "ghetto mod" today. There is an air baffle that was attached to the intake tubing. The seal was too rotten when I busted it loose to reuse it. 2" rubber plumbing connector and an 1-1/2" pvc cap. Not trying for any performance gains, just too cheap (and in a hurry to wait) for a new seal.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information