Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jaguar Continues to Fail in US Market

Jaguar sold 1,065 cars in the United States during November, down 15% from the same month of last year. For the first 11 months, sales were off 5.8% to 13,269. In the luxury end of the American car market, Jaguar has been the most visible failure.

As a contrast to Jaguar’s lack of success, luxury market leader Mercedes had sales of 335,246 up 5.1%, in the first 11 months. BMW followed close with sales of 311,398 for the same period, up 4.4% year on year.

Read more: Jaguar Continues to Fail in US Market - 24/7 Wall St. Jaguar Continues to Fail in US Market - 24/7 Wall St.
    Follow us: @247wallst on Twitter | 247wallst on Facebook
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jaguar Continues to Fail in US Market

No surprise. Jaguars are cool but they don`t have the Mercedes mystique or bmw curb appeal.

Post Thanks / Like

People still remember their marriage to Lucas.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, Ronkh, Junebug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Drove one once, didn`t find it to be anything spectacular. Never did really like them

Post Thanks / Like

I have worked on them for the past 30 years alongside the mercs and bmws and have found that the English built cars have never had the finish that the German marques have and I am talking about the Bentley and Rolls Royce also,the build quality just isn`t there,in fact I went down yesterday to price up my next detail and its an 1999 xk8 4 litre in navy blue that has been sitting on grass for the last 5 years,the new owner of the car actually got the car for nothing just for taking it away from this guys house you see over here if you don`t put road tax on your car for a year then it rolls over to the next year and so fourth and seen as how it costs 2300 euro per year to tax a 4 litre car it would have cost the last owner 11,500 euro to pay the back tax on the car before he could drive it,i have some great photos of the car that I took and will do my best to put them up on here,but I am finding it impossible to load up any photos at the moment,but I will do my best,the under side has to be seen to be believed it was on the ramp so I got some good shots of it.
    Likes trashmanssd, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m amazed there are that many people still buying merc`s and BMW`s. The average car is so much better equipped and built then 10 years ago the luxury brands don`t have much left to sell on other than aesthetics and gadgetry.

Post Thanks / Like

Lolz.

Tata motors put the final nail in the coffin of Jaguar. They are the parent company that owns them and hail from Mumbai, India. They also own Land Rover & Deawoo.

If your spending $50k+ on a car - you want something that eludes pride and history in the brand. I`m not saying Jag sucks now because it`s "Indian" - I`m saying it sucks now because it was a defining British marque that is now owned by a non-British firm.

This is the same curse bestowed upon Volvo - and why there is no resurrection of these brands unless ownership returns to their homeland. Unfortunately, wether it`s true or not - perception is reality. The mystique of the brand is ruined when it`s owned by foreign interests.

Of course, this doesn`t explain how Jag (and Volvo) got to the point where they were no longer self sufficient. But, that is another story....

Post Thanks / Like

way back I the day, my Mom owned a 1986 Jag XJS. V12. it was a beauty. I has in HS at the time and loved to get my time along with the beast. Car look great, sounded great and when it worked the acceleration was almost as mind blowing as the gas mileage was baffling. It rang in at about 8.5 MPG. Mom managed to get mid to low teens around town and upper teens on the highway.

Every time I drove it something broke, not a true drivers car.

I was hoping the improved. The new one look cool XKR series but I would be afraid to buy, maybe lease but who knows. I hate service departments.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant understand it,new XF is a beautiful machine,very modern,quality,great fun to drive,no question its a better car then corrent E class,a well balanced matched machine to BMW-5.

The XE gets some fantastic reviews worldwide regarding its ability to reach the BMW-3 as a drivers car,pure fun,and lots of road feedback.

I think the pepole that buy this level of car are very conservatives,maybe even more conservatives then other clinets worlwide.

All i can say is,,their lost!.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been a mechanic for 48 years.. When the white collar worker the big ceo the stock holder get involved that quest for more money
    over quality.. The only thing that survived so far is Harley Davidson that I have seen so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mbkite View Post
    I have been a mechanic for 48 years.. When the white collar worker the big ceo the stock holder get involved that quest for more money
    over quality.. The only thing that survived so far is Harley Davidson that I have seen so far.
    Think back to the old AMF days.............
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    If your spending $50k+ on a car - you want something that eludes pride and history in the brand. I`m not saying Jag sucks now because it`s "Indian" - I`m saying it sucks now because it was a defining British marque that is now owned by a non-British firm.
    Just curious, would you say the same thing for Rolls-Royce and Bentley? (Both now owned by German Companys)

I`ve never liked Jaguar much, apart from the classic E-Type of course - But being owned by Tata hasn`t made me think negatively about the brand, in fact I think they`ve turned around their line-up compared to what they were churning out under Ford.
    Likes Junebug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul@Autopia View Post
    Just curious, would you say the same thing for Rolls-Royce and Bentley? (Both now owned by German Companys) .
    Prolly. But I believe to a much lesser extent for 2 reasons:

1. RR & Bentley are more niche market cars. I think the higher dollar cost leads to the PERCEPTION that less compromises will be made.

2. Germany`s reputation and history for making desirable and technologically advanced automobiles.

I`m sure not every consumer thinks like me. But in the luxury market, I believe brand image and heritage sell a lot of cars. Once that is tarnished- it`s a long road back.

Post Thanks / Like

Another problem is that you can buy one a year old for a little more than half its new price, I do however log the new XKF!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    I`m amazed there are that many people still buying merc`s and BMW`s. The average car is so much better equipped and built then 10 years ago the luxury brands don`t have much left to sell on other than aesthetics and gadgetry.
    symbolic status striving sells a lot of cars

I`ve been a claims adjuster over a year now and there is no worse insured to have to speak with than the one who owns an older used (presumably new to them) merc or bmw (merc owners seem worse though))

or even a new one..they are a different type of person for the most part

not all of them

but I have never had the same issues with Honda owners or Toyota onwers, period

as to the OP I really like the new Jags but I could never afford and have never been in one but they sure sound pretty sweet from the car shows I`ve seen them on (top gear etc)

Brandt K.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information