Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The new ford RAPTOR

Lost me at Eco Boost!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    i`m afraid to ask what those bad boys will start at. i`m also not so sure what the reliability long term is going to be with the eco boost.
    Lotta gunked up intake valves.
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    That problem is related to the direct injection, the problem is not isolated to Ford.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Actually direct injection pushes 2000-3000 psi, so gunk on the intake valve won`t be a problem
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Actually direct injection pushes 2000-3000 psi, so gunk on the intake valve won`t be a problem
    This was perhaps a poor choice of words on my part and may have gotten this discussion headed down the wrong track. Some say direct port injection, that`s what we`ve had for years. The newer use of the term direct injection and that to which I was referring goes straight into the combustion chamber. Direct injection never sees the intake side of the valve, hence the problem. Because it is injected directly into the combustion chamber, it never has a chance to "wash" over the intake valve. Add a supercharger or a turbo combined with normal blow by and you bake the blow by to the stem side of the intake valve. This is a problem industry wide with numerous fixes dependant on manufacturer. I believe BMW actually has the intake pulled and use walnut shells to blast clean the intake side of the valve.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    This is perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. Some say direct port injection, that`s what we`ve had for years. The newer term direct injection refers to injection that goes straight into the combustion chamber. Direct injection never sees the intake side of the valve, hence the problem. Because it is injected directly into the combustion chamber it never has a chance to "wash" over the valve. Add a supercharger or a turbo combined with normal blow by and you bake the blow by to the stem side of the valve. This is a problem industry wide with numerous fixes. I believe BMW actually has you pull the intake and use walnut shells to blast clean the intake side of the valve.
    Yep they do.

Some marketers are selling "catch cans` to try to abate it too. (at least on the vette forums)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep they do.

Some marketers are selling "catch cans` to try to abate it too. (at least on the vette forums)
    I was going to mention that. That`s the market going old school to solve modern problems. I think most of the serious Mustang guys that supercharge the Coyote figure that`s a no brainer. This isn`t a DI solution in this case but the boost increases blow by significantly and you don`t want all the oil being pushed into the cylinder. Tends to foul plugs. Back in the day they didn`t even try to catch it, they just used a downdraft tube and let it hit the road.

Kind of makes you wonder how much more mileage they can get out of Techron and other fuel additives now that they can`t keep the intake valve clean. My understanding is most of these additives burn to the point where they do little to help exhasut valves.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep they do.
    I believe I read that Lotus had service recommendations of pulling the head to clean at 40,000 miles to avoid the problem (maybe the S models). That can`t be cheap. I think these things can get crudded up fairly quickly introducing stumbling/idle problems, reducing fuel economy and killing performance.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

bmw was like 800

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

The EB has a special shaped piston that splashes fuel back onto the valve stem to reduce coking. There doesn`t seem to be a lot of coking issues on the Ford truck forums. Roush has a tune that they sell for the EB. I suspect that the Raptor tuning will be similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Why dont they turbo or twinscrew sc the v8
    Trucks need a broad torque band

Post Thanks / Like

He`s actually lucky the take off was not at a greater angle or the truck would have landed nose first and rolled over.

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    Hopefully no one will be dumb enough to do this with one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKQdlXvbWSU

Post Thanks / Like

so they basically took the old style front end and added 40% spaceship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    That problem is related to the direct injection, the problem is not isolated to Ford.
    Yep
    GM is late to this party with the new lt1 and lt4s
    Yet i think toyota abd another company went to a hybrid injection system
    Half direct other half intake to keep things clean..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information