Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ford F-150 aluminum repairs cost more than steel, IIHS says

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ford F-150 aluminum repairs cost more than steel, IIHS says

I hear thats it takes a lot of training and some expensive equipment to work on aluminum. I believe that it might cost more for the time being. Are others going to switch to aluminum? That should bring the cost down. Not surprised that GM is calling out Ford, but if im not mistaken they want to build an aluminum truck too. Oh, thats right, only if it works for Ford.

Post Thanks / Like

GM not far behind, so they gonna stay quiet.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just double checked, yep GM will most likely have a aluminum truck after a couple years.

Post Thanks / Like

One of our Audis has aluminum body panels and suspension components to reduce weight. They are about 4X more money than a steel equivalent.

When first I heard about Ford`s new F150, I said to myself, "wow, those guys are gonna be in for a big surprise when they need to do typical pick up truck repairs !!"
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance gonna be higher than on the vette

Post Thanks / Like

One of the reasons why I chose my Sierra over the new Ford. Both good trucks though, spent time with both of them. I will say that the new GM`s seem more solid/sturdy than the new Fords when driving.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes indeed, body repairs to the A8 and S8 were very pricey. And now there aren`t any remotely local places authorized to do the work either...

Post Thanks / Like

No surprise.

I don`t agree with the touted "benefits" of aluminum. I`ll just put my soap box up before I start and leave it at... I think it`s mostly marketing and their excuse to get old cars off the streets. Stop making the aluminum replacement parts after a few years, it can`t be fixed, it goes to the scrap yard. Same thing with their "green" dashes that are supposed to last 10 years.

Good news about the aluminum though - it will be worth more to scrap after a total loss.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t owned an aluminum skinned vehicle so I have no opinion that`s worth beans, unless by some chance this new Edge has aluminum fenders. I`m going to have to check that out now. That said, aluminum doesn`t rust out and it`s oxidation process is likely slower than a similar steel piece. Can`t quote me on that as I don`t have anything to back it up. Salt still does a number on aluminum. The benefit that aluminum brings to the table is plain and simple. It weighs less. As the CAFE standards get tougher I believe you`ll see more and more aluminum vehicles being offered. I think it might be funny should GM choose to go this route to play the re-runs of the commercials they`re putting out this year. They`ll have to spin it as they do aluminum right.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I haven`t owned an aluminum skinned vehicle so I have no opinion that`s worth beans, uness by some chance this new Edge has aluminum fenders. I`m going to have to check that out now. That said, aluminum doesn`t rust out and it`s oxidation process is likely slower than a similar steel piece. Can`t quote me on that as I don`t have anything to back it up. Salt still does a number on aluminum. The benefit that aluminum brings to the table is plain and simple. It weighs less. As the CAFE standards get tougher I believe you`ll see more and more aluminum vehicles being offered. I think it might be funny should GM choose to go this route to play the re-runs of the commercials they`re putting out this year. They`ll have to spin it as they do aluminum right.
    Yes, but the weight deference isn`t going to translate to a consumer benefit. Mileage increases will be negligible if even noticeable since we`re talking less than 1,000 lbs.

I don`t see anything wrong with it, just don`t see much of a point either. Aluminum panels dent so easily too - that I know from first hand experience.

I do agree with your last couple lines. Would be funny to see what they do.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Post Thanks / Like

I think the advertised weight difference is only about 700 lbs. on the typical F150. That said, I don`t know any manufacturer that wouldn`t like to drop the weight of a vehicle by 15% - 20% when it comes to fuel econonomy. It couldn`t help but make a difference over the long haul. Will the consumer see it in their wallet? I don`t know. When you factor in the cost of repairs and potentially the up front costs, the offset may end up being negligeable but it sure makes it easier on the Manufacturer when it comes to hitting it`s targets.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Ford F-150 aluminum repairs cost more than steel, IIHS says

That was kind of my point. I doubt the consumer will ever see the benefit. It`s kind of like the cost of hybrids vs non-hybrid. The consumer would have to drive a lot of miles (don`t remember a closer number than "a lot" to offset the higher initial purchase price and we haven`t even got into the higher repair costs on that either.

Likes Ronkh liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

My 90 Miata had an aluminum hood.

Post Thanks / Like

The ford mustangs have alumn hoods and they keep bubbling under the front seams. Ford repairs them once then your warrantys up and your SOL. Guys are just buying aftermarket hoods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information