Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Electric cars DIRTIER and COST MORE to run per mile... Say it ain`t so......

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If I like brunettes over blondes, am I saving the planet from hair-dye residue?
    Bleach maybe
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Electric cars DIRTIER and COST MORE to run per mile... Say it ain`t so......

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    I have a 2012 Camry SE that gets 27-28 mpg vs the honest 34-35 that the Camry hybrid gets, and would have cost much more to get the same options - again, do the math.
    I don`t hate Prius, I just don`t think they are worth the extra money and the interiors are not appealing to me. I`ve detailed a few.
    I think hydrogen fuel cells are the future, not batteries. We`ll see what happens in the next 10 years.
    It`s hard to make the short-term ROI case on a hybrid, but it`s really no different than trying to make the case for a higher efficiency furnace or a high SEER air conditioner (or an LED light bulb). I don`t agree about the hydrogen economy--the infrastructure will be too hard to build out and there is too much competition (from other alternate fuels). The beauty of hybrids, plug in hybrids, and perhaps EV`s is they use the existing gasoline and electric infrastructures.

As far as your comments about the hybrids having substandard trim/options, I think a lot of that is market-driven--because the target for hybrids is "planet savers", the hybrid portion is taken to an extreme in an attempt to differentiate it from a "normal" (non planet-saving) car. I think some of the luxury examples (Lexus, Lincoln MKZ) are more balanced (in fact IIRC the MKZ had no premium for the hybrid version).

The other thing I can`t agree with is that hybrids are about "batteries"; they`re not--they are about recovery of braking energy. It`s not a new idea, it came up during the `73 embargo, the idea then was flywheels (back when batteries and electronics were not so sophisticated). Flywheels - Scientific American

It`s probably a moot point, we`re going to see cars becoming more efficient, and I don`t see a loss of performance when you see things like small turbocharged engines and dual-clutch automatics coming down the pike.

Post Thanks / Like

My new water heater is a hybrid, Heat pump with standard electric heat for certain situations

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    My new water heater is a hybrid, Heat pump with standard electric heat for certain situations
    Those heat pump water heaters make no sense to me--maybe in CA where they are out in the garage and it`s hot in there---but for me why would I want to pump heat out of my basement into my water? When I`m heating my house half of the year?

Post Thanks / Like

only a two seater and still considered a m/c in most places, but gets a claimed 84mpg- https://www.startengine.com/startup/elio-motors
    I`m lucky if my Harley gets 36mpg on the highway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    only a two seater and still considered a m/c in most places, but gets a claimed 84mpg- https://www.startengine.com/startup/elio-motors
    looks cool, but around here, I`d be afraid to drive it November thru May. (and not cuz of snow)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ahh yes, snow birds.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ec90 View Post
    We could look to Denmark on how a country can move forward with an idea that even if it costs more paves the way to the future instead of solely focusing efforts on technology with a more finite lifespan.
    My Grandparents immigrated from Denmark to the States in the 50`s

If you lived in Denmark right now you would, on average, make 30% less and pay Personal Income Tax of 61%

As long as somebody else is paying for it...it is always a brilliant idea

Denmark Personal Income Tax Rate | 1995-2015 | Data | Chart | Calendar
    https://m.facebook.com/detailedbykyle?_rdr
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Those heat pump water heaters make no sense to me--maybe in CA where they are out in the garage and it`s hot in there---but for me why would I want to pump heat out of my basement into my water? When I`m heating my house half of the year?
    Is the cold water coming out of your faucet lower temperature than the air temperature in your garage?

That is why a Heat Pump works. Air Conditioners are also heat pumps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    Google isn`t finding the article (it was shared on Facebook). I`m not saying it`s fact, it`s just something I read that sounded very surprising as the oil company`s don`t like to share this type of information.

I can assume/speculate that it was a worse case scenario about oil drilling platforms as it takes a lot of fuel to move them around.
    You cannot find it, because it is not true

Please keep looking; maybe try Snoopes

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it if you buy a fuel-efficient vehicle, you are "saving the planet"? Do you ridicule your customers who have little cars and tell them they should drive a Suburban?

This reminds me of the 70`s when there were the muscle-car guys and the sports car guys--they were just guys with different tastes. Some guys liked to go fast in a straight line, some guys liked to go fast around curves (of course, with the technology gains noted previously, now you can have both).

If I like brunettes over blondes, am I saving the planet from hair-dye residue?
    I typed, "so you can claim you are saving the planet"

If you want to do something that is good for the environment; great, but the rest of us should not be forced to support your decision with our tax dollars

Your analogy of the 70s makes no sense in relation to my previous comment
    https://m.facebook.com/detailedbykyle?_rdr
    Likes Swanicyouth, Oldfordisbetter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    That is why a Heat Pump works. Air Conditioners are also heat pumps
    Thanks for the thermodynamics lesson, now I don`t have to go to college when I grow up!

Post Thanks / Like

My Grandparents immigrated from Denmark to the States in the 50`s

If you lived in Denmark right now you would, on average, make 30% less and pay Personal Income Tax of 61%

Denmark Personal Income Tax Rate | 1995-2015 | Data | Chart | Calendar
    In comparing 2015 the rates are 55% compared to 39.6% for the U.S. While it costs more, is money what really matters when comparing quality of life? Now that comes down to personal beliefs and the emphasis a specific person places on taking care of others but look at any quality of life survey and see how countries such as Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Australia, and such place compared to the U.S. Kind of makes you wonder if emphasis on money is overemphasized when your people aren`t happy or over-worked or burnt out by 30.

Post Thanks / Like

The question is are most people happy with the arrangement in Denmark or do most spend their time complaining about no loaders.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ec90 View Post
    In comparing 2015 the rates are 55% compared to 39.6% for the U.S. While it costs more, is money what really matters when comparing quality of life? Now that comes down to personal beliefs and the emphasis a specific person places on taking care of others but look at any quality of life survey and see how countries such as Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Australia, and such place compared to the U.S. Kind of makes you wonder if emphasis on money is overemphasized when your people aren`t happy or over-worked or burnt out by 30.
    Where did you get the 2015 number for Denmark?

Where did you get the average personal tax rate for the US (39.6%)?
    It appears that you compared the average paid in Denmark versus the top Federal Bracket in the USA; not the average. Did you do that on purpose to confuse the reader or do you not understand the difference?

You will immediately notice that all of the countries have a xxxxgenous population currently

Burned out by 30? What a Baby. Complaining is frowned upon in Scandinavian countries and epidemic in some segments of the population in the USA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information