Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Daily driver sugestions around $10k

I drive an E60 545 year round. With winter tires it`s fabulous in the snow! If you`re handy with maintenance and repairs I`d recommend a non-M 3 series, if you can find one that`s been maintained well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy anything Mazda, make *CERTAIN* it doesn`t have any hidden rust issues (I`ll never own another Mazda for that reason, and I`ve talked with somebody who was *VERY* insider-knowledgeable about it who confirmed my fears that my MPV wasn`t an isolated incident).

If you buy a Subaru, make sure you get one of the 99.999% good ones, not one of the 0.0001% that are lemons (I have two of those, always broken down at the dealership, never fixed...sold with major issues while still under warranty).

Whatever you get, I`d still be 100% about reliability and practicality. You have the SRT for fun and games.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Mazda 3...rust bucket after four years, and I babied it. Never again...

Post Thanks / Like

Lenny

"Still plays with cars."
    `10 Mercedes GL550/`04 BMW 545/`98 Mercedes ML320/`99 BMW 323/`87 VW GTI (race)

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the WRX. .....assuming you can find an unmolested one that wasn`t beaten by a boy-racer type. I had an `03 that was pretty reliable and quite fun for what it was. My wife has an `08 Forester with 165k on the clock and with the exception of the AC compressor that I had to replace at ~ 100k, it hasn’t really had any notable issues. Now that I’m thinking about it, perhaps you might even consider a Forester XT if that fits in your criteria. The older ones (like my wife’s ’08) were based on the Impreza chassis so they are just as compact in size.

One concern that just came to mind is that Subaru used to use timing belts vs. chains. These need to be replaced every 100k. I did the one on my wife’s Forester which was a pain. …..literally since I have a bad back. Hopefully she’s ready for a new car before we reach 200k. I really don’t want to do that again and to have the work performed isn’t cheap (also a hassle for us). ….sorry for rambling.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I think I got the only bad Subies ever! NOBODY else I know has ever had any real trouble with theirs.

Post Thanks / Like

The RSX TypeS is just a better drivers car IMO. I have recently driven a Focus ST & GTI (dsg). Don`t get me wrong they were both good cars. But the RSX has one of the best clutch and shifter combos in history noted by many of the car mags. Its one vehicle that you can drive as a DD and still get on it and feel like you have a "sporty" car. With the right tweaks you can make it a nice FWD sports car. But IMO is doesn`t need it for a daily commuter. My other reason to go this way is I average 30-34mpg driving to and from work everyday. This isn`t some eco-Prius BS either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, I think I got the only bad Subies ever! NOBODY else I know has ever had any real trouble with theirs.
    My experience is limited to the ones I have owned but having been on the various Subaru forums since 2002, it seems most are generally satisfied with the reliability. That`s not to say they are without any problems and some of them are relatively well known (HG issues on earlier models, oil consumption problems, radiator top tank cracks, etc.). Not on par with Toyota or Honda but still generally reliable IMO/IME. We`ve been impressed enough over the years with the brand that when my wife is ready we will likely be replacing her Forester with an `15 or `16 Outback 3.6R. ....knock on wood that I didn`t just jinx myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Kean- Yeah, not at all surprised that you`ve been happy with your Subarus! Mine were the wildcards, and I mean utter lemons compared to even some of my oddball cars that`re notorious for being problematic. My Subarus were in the "low miles, couldn`t keep `em on the road at all"-bad category, far worse than stuff like `70s-80s Jaguars! Clueless dealers didn`t help. Coulda/woulda/shoulda gone through the Lemon Law hassle....

I was just telling a pal that her Outback wasn`t even broken in yet at 50K and that she`d be nuts to trade it in already.

Post Thanks / Like

Subies are practically the state car here in Maine and while I would echo the comments that they are "generally" reliable problems, including expensive problems, aren`t exactly rare either. I would also put them behind Toyota/Scion and Honda for reliability, more on the Nissan and Mazda (rust issues aside) level.

Off topic but I`m hoping that the take over of Chrysler will do good things for Fiat/Alfa/Lancia rust proofing and reliability. They have always been fun cars to drive with real personality. Japanese and American (and even many German) cars are too often too bland. I would also love to see Peugeot/Citroen and Renault cars back in the USA if they can achieve modern standards for reliability and rust proofing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information