Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Daily driver sugestions around $10k

If we`re talking almost exclusively city driving my response would be "who cares? buy something cheap, economical and reliable." IMO there is little joy in urban driving.
    From your list I`m not sure why you find the Acura RSX so much more desirable than the Civic Si as they are basically the same car under the skin. I would not buy a 4-bolt 2002 - 2003 Si as they were severely under tired with their 15" wheels. The `04 & `05 mostly addressed this with the switch to 5 bolt 16". If you go with a non-Type S RSX I`d look for an `05 or `06. The RSX Type S Acura is a different animal entirely although good examples are no longer easy to find at least in the Northeast.
    Finding a non-beat $10k WRX will also be a challenge.
    The only Mazda Speed 3 I`ve driven was fun but had way too much torque steer for my tastes. I`ve never driven a Speed 6.
    A $10k M3 sounds like the stuff of nightmares.
    Mustang GT, not a snow car as others have noted.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Volvo s60r 06-07 manual or 6 speed auto. Reliable, fast, awd, good on gas, easy to fix.
    Thats a car that definatly makes the list with great looks for a Volvo (still cant forget my farthers old boxy 740 Turbo Volvo)
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LostHighway View Post
    If we`re talking almost exclusively city driving my response would be "who cares? buy something cheap, economical and reliable." IMO there is little joy in urban driving.
    From your list I`m not sure why you find the Acura RSX so much more desirable than the Civic Si as they are basically the same car under the skin. I would not buy a 4-bolt 2002 - 2003 Si as they were severely under tired with their 15" wheels. The `04 & `05 mostly addressed this with the switch to 5 bolt 16". If you go with a non-Type S RSX I`d look for an `05 or `06. The RSX Type S Acura is a different animal entirely although good examples are no longer easy to find at least in the Northeast.
    Finding a non-beat $10k WRX will also be a challenge.
    The only Mazda Speed 3 I`ve driven was fun but had way too much torque steer for my tastes. I`ve never driven a Speed 6.
    A $10k M3 sounds like the stuff of nightmares.
    Mustang GT, not a snow car as others have noted.
    All very good points! I care only because I spend a lot of time driving in the city (20hrs + per week) and I want to spend it in a nice car not in something I resent (e.g. last car, FWD two tone Mazda Tribute). I do enjoy city driving a lot as we have many shortcuts (alleyways) and narrow Euro styled streets (narrow & fast light timing at intersections). I also like to be able to zip around traffic and park in the smaller spots. I had debated getting a smart car but after driving one I`d rather just have a street-legal dirt bike (and we know that’s not happening –“Married”).

Your 100% right Mustangs and M3`s should be off the list because no matter what I’m going to wish I was in my Jeep SRT8 when the snow falls...

I took the civic off the list because, well it`s a civic (everyone has one) but I`ll test drive and SI coupe and see for myself, I just like the look of the RSX more.

Let me clarify my goal is to spend $10k but under $20k is the realistic limit (depending on year and mileage of course) so a 13-16k WRX/GTI is very possible.

- I’d like the car to be under 100,000KM

P.S. winter tires are required by law here from December to April (thank goodness)

The list in my frist post has been updated

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer. I have 158,xxx on mine now and I would sell it to you. I`m ready to move on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    I do enjoy city driving a lot as we have many shortcuts (alleyways) and narrow Euro styled streets (narrow & fast light timing at intersections). I also like to be able to zip around traffic and park in the smaller spots. I had debated getting a smart car but after driving one I`d rather just have a street-legal dirt bike (and we know that’s not happening –“Married”).

Smart Car! bite your tongue!
    Why not a JCW Mini Cooper S? They are not paragons of reliability but for the above criteria they fit the bill.

Post Thanks / Like

At under 20k it`s a whole new world.

2013 Focus ST. Talk about a hoot to drive.

But honestly? The daily beater go for cheap to maintain and run and drive the wheels off of it. I do the same thing you sound like you want to and have a commuter car and a garage queen. My last beater was a 2007 Ford Focus that lasted 281k miles and still got $2k for it on trade. Current is a Transit Connect wagon for those Lowes Home Depot runs many of us make.

And I don`t mod my commuter cars.
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Why not a JCW Mini Cooper S? They are not paragons of reliability but for the above criteria they fit the bill.

See my previous post re: nothing BMW that isn`t still carrying a warranty!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was kidding but I have test drove a smart car LOL. Mini Cooper S is a good ideal like the fiat 500 abarth...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
    At under 20k it`s a whole new world.

2013 Focus ST. Talk about a hoot to drive.

But honestly? The daily beater go for cheap to maintain and run and drive the wheels off of it. I do the same thing you sound like you want to and have a commuter car and a garage queen. My last beater was a 2007 Ford Focus that lasted 281k miles and still got $2k for it on trade. Current is a Transit Connect wagon for those Lowes Home Depot runs many of us make.

And I don`t mod my commuter cars.
    The Focus ST looks really good and the exhaust kind of matches my SRT8`s!

Post Thanks / Like

If we`re at the high end of your range I`d pick at 2014 Fiesta ST over a Focus ST for the kind of driving you`re suggesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey bro before you pull the trigger. Check out the iihs crash tests. If I were you I`d stick to the wrx. Kool, fun, awd and safe. Just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

If we`re at the high end of your range I`d pick at 2014 Fiesta ST over a Focus ST for the kind of driving you`re suggesting.
    Having owned both I`d have to disagree. The Fiesta has a bit more fun factor in that it`s easier to toss around, but at the end of the day it`s still an econobox and rides like one. The Focus is a lot more refined and a lot quicker.

We`re pretty much a Ford household, with my Challenger being the holdout. Now if you want the pure commuter car get the regular non-ST Fiesta but be sure to get it in a stick. The pseudo-automatic is a nightmare.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

For me it definitely either be a focus or the s60r, saftey the volvo wont be beat. I have an s60r an had another before, direct hit from a drunk driver demolished his car no problem. Thats why I got another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    What about used Mazda Speed 3, Hot hatch gives you versatility yet small for around the city.
    Horrible interior materials. You walk through grass, sand or let a pet inside, you will never get the carpets clean again. Even if you pull them out and pressure wash them. And the cloth seats stain if you sweat. Decent car undone by extreme interior cheapness.

What would be a fun car and pretty cheap ($4000-6500 depending on mileage) is a 6 speed 02-03 Maxima. 255 hp, low 14 second quarter miles, factory HIDs, large interior, pretty reliable overall. Depending on your local emission requirements, there are headers, 3" exhaust systems, throttle body, etc mods that can easily get a 6 speed Maxima well into the 13s.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information