Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

WTH is up with tire shops as of late?

Upon inspection of my wheels this morning, the tire machine did indeed leave some surface scratches on the faces of the wheels. NOT DEEP GOUGHES, just some scratching. But of course prior, they were not there. I did buff them out this morning, and they do look better. FIRESTONE. I can live with them. But i am really debating if i should contact them over this to see their take?

Well, i did just call him. He said swing it by tomorrow morning. He also said they just had the machines serviced.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WTH is up with tire shops as of late?

PA Detailer- Hope you get some satsifaction, at least it sounds like you were able to polish it out somewhat.

The local Michelin shop trashed one of my wheels and blew me off when I complained about it...it was an emergency replacement that couldn`t wait and they had assured me they`d do an OK job. At least in my case the damage was inside the barrel where only I notice it. Had it not been an emergency, I would`ve taken it to one of the (few) places that I know I can trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, i mean they did not trash them, but still never should have happened. I`ll take a nice credit. LOL. It will be interesting to see what they say/do. You pay a hefty price for new tires and should be 100% satisfied.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear. It seems like that is happening to more people lately or I`m just starting to hear more about it. I always take my wheels to a friend when getting tires put on and he takes really good care of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Makes me think taking pics as evidence before you have the work done would be a good idea. This is a good example of why I can`t stand counting on other people for anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I ask myself the same question quite often because I`ve had issues with the garage queen`s tires/wheels over the years too.

Then I realize I`m here because I have a passion for cars and keeping them looking good but I`m a bit of an anomaly - most people don`t care all that much and for the most part the tire shop workers fall into that category too. It`s like they assume every tire/wheel comes off a service truck and treat it accordingly. Off quickly, on quickly and out the door - next! Most aren`t Autopians.

I had to look around the tire shops locally after my easy to mount front wheels were damaged and talk to the staff before I had my very difficult to mount rear tires done. I finally found a shop that took the time to do the job right and the result was perfect - no issues.

There are shops that do good work though and I`m not the only car nut in my area and car guys know what shops are good and which ones are bad. We just have to find the good ones. If there`s anyone around/near Victoria, B.C. looking for a good shop, PM me and I`ll tell you a good one, one that cares. And one to stay away from, far away.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they do care but the big box stores are alllllllll about FAST and making the most money per day. You WONT get good quality service at a place like that. Its very rare. If they dont produce throughput they arent there very long. Its not a business model formed for perfection its in-out-paid

Post Thanks / Like

I would have held off polishing them before I called. Obviously they are going to look at it and say "what scratches".
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I.. they are going to look at it and say "what scratches".
    Heh heh, most places would say that anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I need 2 tires replaced soon. Really soon. I`m in CT. Anyone in CT have a recommended tire installer that does not instill scratches on alloy wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

WOW I was going to post the same thing. The local dealer used a "soft razor" to remove the weights... looks like a HACK JOB. I said i have 45k miles and the inside of the wheel still looks new you cant tell me a razor did this damage. I know its not a luxury car but its MY CAR ! i got the cost of the install refunded but I will never go back there again ! so mad
    20141125_144020.jpg20141125_144106.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

They offered to have the wheels "fixed" but then i would be out of a car for a day.. I cant afford that so looks like getting my 24 dollars back is the only option. well at least that covers the cost of a pad and wax

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: Took it up this morning in a downpour of course. Met the manager and we pulled it inside. I took some ww and a towel with me. Under his flashlight, sure enough the scratches on all 4 wheels were there as i pointed them out. OK This is what we will do. We have contact with a company that refinishes wheels and does them on site here. I will call them and set up a appointment for you and provide a rental also for that day. That sounds good to me. Fair enough. They still cant figure how it happened. So in my book i think thats fair.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

PA DETAILER- Ah, that sounds promising! Hope they do a nice job for you. Wonder what this "on-site refinishing entails.

silver2kws6- Wonder what they were willing to do with regard to "getting it fixed"...isn`t there *some* way that you could live without the car for a day or so...I mean, those wheels are worth saving aren`t they?

Post Thanks / Like

I know there are mobile repair places that is their speciality. They come on site and do the refinishing and repair. Yea, i think i got treated fair. Thats their rep on the line. Just waiting for them to call with the appt. day.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information