Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

They never cease to amaze me....

So I get a call from a guy today who is not exactly a client of mine. I did his two cars two summers ago, a Bentley Continental Super Sport and a white Range Rover. Let`s just say I charged upwards of $600 for the pair. On both cars I included a quick vac and wipe down on the inside. They were not that dirty on the inside to begin with. So I finish the job, and he was one of those guys who has no expression and is very monotone. He just had a blank face, said "looks good", paid me and I was on my way.
    Two years later (today) I get a call from him asking "if I still detail cars or if I moved on to building houses from the money I made while detailing". I bit my tongue not to start barking at this guy and just said "yes, I still detail cars". Now...ready for this?....he said "listen, I want a good job, but I don`t want to pay that much. Last time you made almost $700 cash which is like making $1300 before tax. I think that`s more than enough for someone to make for cleaning cars". Again...I bit my tongue so that I don`t tell this guy to go **** himself and just educated him (again) on why I charge what I charge, and what the difference is between me and Joe Blow`s car wash down the street. So after he became a money manager, telling me how much I should make for what I do, BAM! He turned into a professional detailer. "It shouldn`t take you that long to polish a car, look i`ll give you $180 per car, spend a few hours on each, and just make them look good."
    Long story short I didn`t take the job. Mostly out of principle that this guy is trying to sh*t on my work and come at me with these ridiculous prices.

Anyway...that`s me venting. So how many of you fine gentleman would have taken the job, or simply told him where to go...in a nice way.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: They never seize to amaze me....

People never cease to amaze me either, but this guy just sounded like "one of those". Good for you. Sometimes the money isn`t worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

(To customer) Pack it your dual exhaust outlets sir, no offence intended. ADIOS, BYE BYE, HASTA.
    As shown above it is cease not seize.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have just wash them both and be done under 2 hrs and collect the money and say...." Don`t call me, I`ll call you "
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Good turn down! Wonder if he`ll call you after the $100 "detailer" down the street hacks it up.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been around very nice vehicles for over 10 years before I moved from WA. State..

Found about 2 kinds of wealthy people - those that are secure and smart enough to know what they want and are willing to pay for it, will do their own research, and ask you a lot of very well thought-out questions, and then those that very insecure, have perhaps scratched and stepped on others without caring, on their way to their level of wealth, are also probably hated by everyone that has had to work with/for them, and think (of course), they they know Everything in the Universe ! No one will ever be able to be smarter then them, or know more about every possible subject, than them !

I feel you were absolutely spot-on, to turn away that nightmare ! Next thing you know, he would be telling you, you didnt do a good enough job and be trying to short you again...

Life is too short to want to take this mental and financial beating, if you ask me...

I turned down my share of the mentally/socially/etc/ challenged, and never looked back.. And you know - almost always ended up with a new - way nicer - everything - Client instead, that became a regular...

We dont have to be mean to meaness - we just have to be polite and say no thank you..

Good luck with your Business !!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Ya don`t need the headache. Ask him to take a pay cut and see how fast he balks...
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I find it is easier to say "no, thank you" than "ok, I can do it for that." Why sell yourself short. Good call.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I used to bend over backwards to please everyone including guys like this. You know what I gained from it? Not a damn thing. I would do these jobs for half the price (which is unfair to everyone else who has to pay full price btw), still try to do a good job, and I`d come out upside down every time. Now days, I have no problem sending them down the road if they don`t want to pay my prices (which are VERY fair considering what many guys in the country are getting for similar work). Sometimes I`m glad the tunnel wash is in town because they keep the cheap skates happy and give me somewhere to send people who like crap.

Post Thanks / Like

The minute you agree to a lesser price that becomes what your work is worth. You know if your being fair or not. You don`t go to the bakery and ask for a dozen donuts and then tell the baker you only want to pay a buck or to a lawyer and tell him you are only wiilling to pay $25/hr. You would end up with no donuts and no legal counsel. No one has the right to determine your price but you. They can choose to accept what you ask or move on but they can`t set your rates. You did the right thing.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you turned it down.

I used to have a "2 rule".. The first time somebody asked me for a price break, I politely informed them that I am too busy to do work at anything less than retail price, but I totally understand if they want to go elsewhere.

The second time they asked me for a price break, I politely informed them that I wasn`t interested in their business but could recommend more affordable options for them. No matter what, I did not do their cars.

Two times I cut significant "deals" and both times it bit me hard... One gentleman in an Avalanche begged me to do his car for 350. He had a whole story about how he was disabled, etc etc etc..

I go to his house, explain my pricing to him, walk through the car with him and go over each and everything little thing I would do for $350. He is constantly telling me how he liked his other detailer, the other guy would do more for 200 bucks, and so on.. I kept suggesting he use "his guy" if he is happy with them...

So I do the truck, takes me much longer than I anticpated, do a little extra and charge him the 350.

Two days later he calls me back, upset that I didn`t clean the compartments under his seats, clean his glove box, apply dressing to the inside of this tires and didn`t detail his engine. Also he was concerned there we still swirl marks in the paint. At some point it went something like this...

Him: "I told you the other guy cleaned the glovebox and asked you to clean it..."

Me: "I told you exactly what I was going to do for 350 the day before. You agree to it. When you suggested all of these other things for me to do on the day of the detail, I told you that it would cost more. You said you wanted to keep it at 350."

Him: "The other guy did it for 350."

Me: "I suggested you use him many times."

Him: "I know its just an Avalanche but you I really wanted the same care you do to Ferrari`s."

Me: "I don`t care what kind of vehicle you have, I base my service on what you want and what you can afford. I am paid, much more, to work on those cars."

Him: "I just wanted Ferrari care."

Me: "Yet you didn`t want to pay for it..."

At some point the discussion became circular. I ended up going back to his house, washing his truck and wiping down the glove box. Took me all 30 minutes, and at that point I was glad to be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Good turn down! Wonder if he`ll call you after the $100 "detailer" down the street hacks it up.

My thoughts exactly! $55 wash, buff, and wax special

Post Thanks / Like

Wow ,what an !!

I would not have done any work for him,period!

Every now and then I lower my price if someone doesnt want to pay full price, I omit the claybar and interior dressing and carpets and they agree those things are not included .

I recently had it bite me though because this customer refferred me and the new customer wanted the same low price and got all kinds of mad at me for not giving him the same price and accused me of ripping him off.............

This business is a headache sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Wow ,what an !!

I would not have done any work for him,period!

Every now and then I lower my price if someone doesnt want to pay full price, I omit the claybar and interior dressing and carpets and they agree those things are not included .

I recently had it bite me though because this customer refferred me and the new customer wanted the same low price and got all kinds of mad at me for not giving him the same price and accused me of ripping him off.............

This business is a headache sometimes.
    I hear ya man. There is always a "can you knock off $50 if you omit the third radio preset button and the lug nuts on my right rear wheel, I don`t really need those cleaned" type of guy. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Even detailers can be like this..you see it on the forums all the time,.they are trying to nickel and dime on what they buy (as little as $5 on a $100 order) but seem offended when they are asked to work for less.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information