Thread: Who Knew?

Post Thanks / Like

Who Knew?

I have a nerdy confession to make...I am the proud owner of a 3M traffic signal. The signal is painted a dark color called Hunter Green and has never seen road service. It has been in my possession since 2003 and always kept in the garage, out of the elements. I always assumed the paint was single-stage but today curiosity killed the cat and I had that buffer itch. The entire signal has some minor scuffing and swirls from me dry-wiping. I pulled out my random orbital and ran a test on the side of the signal with SIP and an LC Orange pad.

The paint is, amazingly enough, dual-stage and is surprisingly soft. I would have thought it would have been hard as nails as it is designed to spend its entire life outside. It cleans up REALLY nice!

Not sure why I chose to share this with you guys...I just needed to tell somebody.
    2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Harbor Gray

Even sometimes I, in a moment of what could only be described as pure sanity, question the rationality of this obsession.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who Knew?

Quote Originally Posted by OCDinPDX View Post
    I have a nerdy confession to make...I am the proud owner of a 3M traffic signal. The signal is painted a dark color called Hunter Green and has never seen road service. It has been in my possession since 2003 and always kept in the garage, out of the elements. I always assumed the paint was single-stage but today curiosity killed the cat and I had that buffer itch. The entire signal has some minor scuffing and swirls from me dry-wiping. I pulled out my random orbital and ran a test on the side of the signal with SIP and an LC Orange pad.

The paint is, amazingly enough, dual-stage and is surprisingly soft. I would have thought it would have been hard as nails as it is designed to spend its entire life outside. It cleans up REALLY nice!

Not sure why I chose to share this with you guys...I just needed to tell somebody.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    Oh if you insist....

A little history on it:

Condition: New Old Stock
    Color: Hunter Green
    Weight: 67 pounds (with stand)
    Height: 7 1/2` (estimated on stand)
    Original MSRP: $2,000
    Price Paid (2003): $25
    Present Value: $250

These signals were manufactured from 1969 until 2004 and are only expected to appreciate as interest in them increases. I have no plans to sell it, either now or in the future.

A bit of a size comparison for you. It towers over me and I`m 6` even.

Having the original paint, it shows the signs of being abused by city crews as it was moved around. And check out that orange peel!!

A head-on view showing red.

Even sometimes I, in a moment of what could only be described as pure sanity, question the rationality of this obsession.

Post Thanks / Like

cool
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool and very unusual but I`m not sure what use one would have for it other than a conversation piece.

Post Thanks / Like

They must have had the Kia company paint that thing.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

HOOKED ON THE DETAILS
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be GREAT for the bedroom!! The wife could let me know, by the signals, what is appropriate for the evening. It would avoid the miss communication like a few weeks ago. Or it could be placed next to the big screen so that I could answer her many questions that seem to come up during a game or a NASCAR race. I gotta get me one of those!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POPPAJ View Post
    That would be GREAT for the bedroom!! The wife could let me know, by the signals, what is appropriate for the evening. It would avoid the miss communication like a few weeks ago. Or it could be placed next to the big screen so that I could answer her many questions that seem to come up during a game or a NASCAR race. I gotta get me one of those!
    That got me thinking about the old new york city lights, that used to use 2 lights. red, green. instead of yellow, they would both light up.

talk about mixed signals.............
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    Cool and very unusual but I`m not sure what use one would have for it other than a conversation piece.
    It is there mostly for my own personal satisfaction; it just makes me . These signals are not like others in many ways and because they are quickly being removed from service and are no longer produced, will get rarer far more quickly. The fact they have already appreciated into triple-digit values speaks volumes about where they might eventually wind up. Owing to the fact this one was never used on the street, I could see it being worth up to or even $1,000 someday...not that I plan to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    They must have had the Kia company paint that thing.
    Who wants to take estimates on wet sanding it for me?

Quote Originally Posted by POPPAJ View Post

If you`re serious, I`d look into one that`s a bit smaller. These are a bit too large to be practical for most situations. This one will get to taste fresh air for a while while serving as traffic calming (flashing yellow) at my neighbor`s BBQ at the end of the month.

Occupant Ilied Industries occupant's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like those signals that have the smooth lenses on them, and they`re tough to see at extreme angles. Didn`t know they came out in 1969, I thought they were a product of the 1980`s!

Nowadays you`ve got all these LED retrofits inside the old housings and they just look odd.
    Alan Moore
    Wichita Falls, TX

2000 Chevy Suburban LS, white/tan, 5.3L/4L80E, 181K
    2000 Dodge Durango Sport, pewter/black, 318/44RE, 225K
    1995 Olds Cutlass Ciera sedan, white/blue, 3100/4T60E, 98K
    1976 Ford Gran Torino sedan, white/blue, 351C/FMX, 93K

Thread Information