Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tampa, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oh now this is VERY SCARY!!

Ok, gang, here`s another one for you.

I`m at a client`s house doing a full exterior detail on his BMW. About 2/3 of the way done he comes out and asks if I would come in to look at a black grand piano that has some very light scratches the cat has put into the top. His logic is scratch removal is scratch removal - right? Countering my resistance he insists so we go into the house and I look at the top of the piano and, indeed, it looks exactly like a lightly swirled hood (Ok, maybe a Bentley hood - the thing looks like a mirror otherwise!). I politely explain that buffing a vehicle`s clearcoat is just a little different than taking the same approach to a freakin` $15,000 piece of furniture. He is dissapointed at the same time I`m flattered at his request. I`m sure my insurance provider would laugh at that one!
    Tampa, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Funny Detailing Stories

I just managed to get a new customer from down the street (an amazing catch in this economic state) and his first job was his wife`s white Mustang GT convertible. Now I was pretty sure this guy was anal about his cars but when I explained to him what I use to wash cars, he requested that I not use soap.

Now I`m all for honoring odd requests but this one I had a rough time wrapping my head around, especially because the car was still covered in fall road debris. I simply couldn`t bring myself to do it so I used a bit less than usual but when my car wash soap costs $40 a gallon, you can trust that it won`t hurt the paint.

Still hurts my head...no soap.
    2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Harbor Gray

Even sometimes I, in a moment of what could only be described as pure sanity, question the rationality of this obsession.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OCDinPDX View Post
    I just managed to get a new customer from down the street (an amazing catch in this economic state) and his first job was his wife`s white Mustang GT convertible. Now I was pretty sure this guy was anal about his cars but when I explained to him what I use to wash cars, he requested that I not use soap.

Now I`m all for honoring odd requests but this one I had a rough time wrapping my head around, especially because the car was still covered in fall road debris. I simply couldn`t bring myself to do it so I used a bit less than usual but when my car wash soap costs $40 a gallon, you can trust that it won`t hurt the paint.

Still hurts my head...no soap.
    Did he tell you why no soap? People are fed a lot of mis-information especially from dealerships.

I had a customer recently tell me the same thing and it was because the dealership told him that because of the super duper 700 dollar paint sealant, soap is not needed.

Post Thanks / Like

This just felt like a general post...definitely not something for a new thread. Two things:

1. A few weeks ago in class somebody made the comment that I care too much about my car. I believe the exact words were, "Why do you care so much about how it looks? It`s not like it`s a Bentley." My counter attack, "For starters, if I have to explain it to you, you`ll never understand. And secondly, just because it didn`t cost $300,000 doesn`t mean it should be treated like a disposable item." As I expected, he didn`t understand. They almost never do.

2. Was at the car wash again today, obsessing. Saw probably four or five cars go through and drive off into the sun still covered in water. Hard water!!! And there I was, drying my car in the stall out of the sun. I found some very fine scratches in my hood and I`m not sure where they came from. I hate being 2,000 miles from my orbital.
    2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Harbor Gray

Even sometimes I, in a moment of what could only be described as pure sanity, question the rationality of this obsession.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s 1991, I`m 16yrs old, and I`m working my first detailing job at a local high volume shop. I`m in the wash bay working on a mid 80`s Astro Van. Around me are co-workers and the noise from 2 Milwaukee rotary buffers at 2800rpms, 2 shop vacs, the air compressor motor, and the loud stereo playing classic rock. I hop in the van to back it up rotating the wheels 180 degrees. I step on the break and put the van into reverse....or at least I thought it was the break!!! The van shot backwards leaving a good 10 foot patch of rubber on the floor and I smacked into the building wall! Luckily there was a 50 gallon plastic barrel behind me full of aluminum cans that absorbed all of the impact. No damage to anything but it sure scared the crap out of me!

If you have even been in those mid 80`s Astro van you know how close together the peddles are, and I now know why the safety mechanism is in place to shift out of park!

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    It`s 1991, I`m 16yrs old, and I`m working my first detailing job at a local high volume shop. I`m in the wash bay working on a mid 80`s Astro Van. Around me are co-workers and the noise from 2 Milwaukee rotary buffers at 2800rpms, 2 shop vacs, the air compressor motor, and the loud stereo playing classic rock. I hop in the van to back it up rotating the wheels 180 degrees. I step on the break and put the van into reverse....or at least I thought it was the break!!! The van shot backwards leaving a good 10 foot patch of rubber on the floor and I smacked into the building wall! Luckily there was a 50 gallon plastic barrel behind me full of aluminum cans that absorbed all of the impact. No damage to anything but it sure scared the crap out of me!

If you have even been in those mid 80`s Astro van you know how close together the peddles are, and I now know why the safety mechanism is in place to shift out of park!
    I thought only older women did stuff like that.

Post Thanks / Like

1987-Was backing a brand new 560sel out of driveway and ripped tha left rear door off. I went in tha house to notifiy owner, I would get 6 digits dialed and then hang up,finally got up tha courage after about an hour.Tha man answered phone and I told him what had happened.It seemed like 10minutes of silence and the man came back with:you did what? After I explained myself again. Tha man busted out laughing...GO FIGURE...This man remand a client of mine untill his Death 3 years ago. Fast Forward 2004-I was detailing an Acura, Tha phone rang I ran to catch the call but neglected to put car into gear. Guess what happens next,(my driveway has an ever so slightly of a downgrade) I answered call and suddenly I look up to find said Acura rollin down tha drive w/all 4 doors open.....tore tha front right door off. and took out part of my neighbors fence.This guy also took it better than I probally would have,just did his Beemer 2 weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post

I thought only older women did stuff like that.

LOL!

My co-workers said my eyes were as big as baseballs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information