Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: lAn interesting meeting at the Lexus dealership today

Well said!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike lambert- sheesh, sorry you had to get mixed up in this [charlie foxtrot]. And I really feel bad for your client. Perhaps he`s learned a valuable (if painful) lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    ... And the car was ordtand came in and cleaned up against clients wishes one time!
    Having refused delivery over *MUCH* less severe damage, IMO people should simply not take such stuff off the lot. Inspect before signing, let alone paying, and only accept/pay for what`s OK. No, the dealers don`t like that...tough.

Post Thanks / Like

Honda dealer service here in Manhattan a few years ago (only lasted 2 years, commercial rents are so high here) wanted to wash my 03 Accord (taffeta white) everytime I brought it in. I instructed them not to touch the body of the car at all. They could not understand why I didn`t want a free wash, almost became an issue. Well aware of dealers/dealer contractors damaging car finish. A friend had a beautiful 02 Lexus LS 420, like a luxury living room inside. Black paint. Condition of paint best described as a scratch and swirl farm. She lost about $2,000 on the resale value because of the poor condition of the paint. Paint used today is softer, more vulnerable to marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that true that today`s paints are softer and more vulnerable to swirling and marring??? I think it is a well documented "fact" that today`s vehicle paints are becoming thinner with their factory application, as posted in other threads by Mike lambert and his trusty Paint Thickness Gauge (PTG).

Suffice it say, there has been so much detailing rhetoric and banter about the color hue "black" on vehicles, it almost hinges on a "hue prejudice", ranging from charging more to detail this color to saying a "true" professional detailer would never own that color because it is a full-time job (which it almost is to keep it perfect!). Apparently this Lexus dealer and its owner/management have a "misunderstanding" of what appearance characteristics this hue should (or will) have is further testament of this "hue prejudice". I applaud the owner/buyer of this Lexus for having Mike inspecting and document its condition.

It will be "interesting" to see what outcome will result from this and if the Lexus Corporation will get involved. Somehow I think Lexus and owner will come to an "agreement" and you, Mike, will be the "mediator" to correcting and perfecting this particular vehicle`s appearance.

Keep us Autopians informed of the developments!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie et al - My late wife and I noticed that the paint on our 03 Accord was thinner, softer and less durable than the paint on her mother`s 93 Accord. She was an executive at an industrial company that had business in the automotive paint and solvents sector. She did a query through their company and was told that Honda indeed used softer paint. Honda will deny of course. The owner of the body shop here in NYC that does the work for all the luxury dealers in Manhattan told me that the paints today are softer and more easily marred due to elimination of VOCs and other components.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information