Post Thanks / Like

A Cool (For Me) Experience

About 6 weeks ago, an old friend from High School contacted me on Facebook and requested that I come to his high school to give a talk to his students about detailing. He teaches at a vocational school and he runs the Auto Shop program and they also have a body shop program as well. These are mostly "hard luck" kids who would probably be drop outs if it weren`t for schools and programs such as this.

I agreed to do it and put together a power point presentation outlining detailing, polishing paint, correcting defects, tools, pads, polishes, etc. It was an hour long presentation and I spoke for about 35-40 minutes and then did a short practical demonstration showing a 2 step process on the fender of a swirled F150. The kids didn`t fall asleep on me so I figure I did OK. They have a co-op program at the school, so maybe one or two may be interested in trying out working in that field. I`ve got a friend with a shop that might be able to help in that regard too. All in all, I was happy with how it went. Here`s my ugly mug in action (I usually try very hard to avoid being on this side of the lens, LOL).

Thanks for looking.
    Likes Ronkh, heisenberg, Stokdgs, Angus, mnehls86 and 12 others liked this post
    Thanks The Driver, Ronkh, Stokdgs, nickclark08, Migue and 1 others thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Cool (For Me) Experience

Cool!

You may have given some of these kids a purpose.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs, Angus, Migue, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wish someone would have come and mentioned this stuff to me in high school. Might have gotten started sooner!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish there was a real job title for "Mentor" ...

You would be perfect and already have the skillsets - PowerPoint Presentation ! - Wow - I am so proud of you, Richy !
    Thank you for doing this for our Youth...
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Cool!

You may have given some of these kids a purpose.
    Thanks kindly Ron! You never know who can be reached and for what reason.

Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post
    Wish someone would have come and mentioned this stuff to me in high school. Might have gotten started sooner!
    Maybe..but better late than never I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I wish there was a real job title for "Mentor" ...

You would be perfect and already have the skillsets - PowerPoint Presentation ! - Wow - I am so proud of you, Richy !
    Thank you for doing this for our Youth...
    DanF
    Thanks so much Dan! I used to teach car seat safety programs to both the public (we used to do free seminars) and then I became an instructor to teach people how to be a car seat technician. I like teaching adults b/c I don`t have to worry about my (less than perfect) vocabulary, LOL. It felt good to be standing in front of people teaching again to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a vocational HS and was in the body repair program, definitely worth it and I personally feel that every school should be like that. Humans are meant to create things with their hands and minds, not sit in a classroom doing things that they will have no use for in life when they grow up.

Definitely a cool experience that you were a part of there.
    Likes richy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That was really a great thing that you did for those kids. Even if they didn`t get "it" you gave them an opportunity to think outside the box when it comes to earning a living. Where I live kids are tracked into either college or vocational training. My son is tracking towards college, but I try to teach him skills he can fall back on in case the after college career doesn`t make him happy. In my day you either went to college or you found a job at one of the local mills. Some kids are not cut out to go to college or just are not interested in "higher education". Vocational schools are great for kids that would rather work with their hands and their brains. I took a welding course after my first year in college, that was enough to convince me to return to college and graduate. I couldn`t handle that hot metal popping on me for the rest of my life, but I learned to weld and it has come in handy more than a few times.

Post Thanks / Like

You may have just introduced one of those students to their career. Thanks for helping contribute to the betterment of your community.

This forum is a great learning platform. If I would have put as much time into studying in college as I do pursuing this forum and AGO, I would have been a MD.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, very cool. These are great programs for kids and need to get more attention
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff right there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    I went to a vocational HS and was in the body repair program, definitely worth it and I personally feel that every school should be like that. Humans are meant to create things with their hands and minds, not sit in a classroom doing things that they will have no use for in life when they grow up.

Definitely a cool experience that you were a part of there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    That was really a great thing that you did for those kids. Even if they didn`t get "it" you gave them an opportunity to think outside the box when it comes to earning a living. Where I live kids are tracked into either college or vocational training. My son is tracking towards college, but I try to teach him skills he can fall back on in case the after college career doesn`t make him happy. In my day you either went to college or you found a job at one of the local mills. Some kids are not cut out to go to college or just are not interested in "higher education". Vocational schools are great for kids that would rather work with their hands and their brains. I took a welding course after my first year in college, that was enough to convince me to return to college and graduate. I couldn`t handle that hot metal popping on me for the rest of my life, but I learned to weld and it has come in handy more than a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    You may have just introduced one of those students to their career. Thanks for helping contribute to the betterment of your community.

This forum is a great learning platform. If I would have put as much time into studying in college as I do pursuing this forum and AGO, I would have been a MD.
    Thanks! You never know. I asked if any of the kids had heard of a Grand National, and a few had, so maybe a few of the car nuts might have been excited by the idea. You can`t consider what you didn`t know about and now they know about our field.

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Wow, very cool. These are great programs for kids and need to get more attention
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jtford95 View Post
    Good stuff right there
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos!! That`s an awesome thing you did. Glad you did it! You very well may have `saved` a few of those youngsters and possibly be keeping them off the streets and on a good track in life!

thanks for posting aand taking some time out to do this!!!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Thread Information