Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailer fried my HID Ballast

He should have made some type of offer on the ballast but you are wanting a world class detail for $75 and grumping about it. Why were these "disappointments" not discussed up front? It would have taken all of one minute for you to ask questions about what was to be done or describe what you expected. With all due respect the guy is not a mind reader so take some blame yourself here.

Post Thanks / Like

There were just some things that I didn`t like about the detail, too. The touch up wasn`t anything like what I expected (from someone w/ that much experience), it didn`t look like anything was done to the trim, and the WHEELS had tire dressing on them. Nothing was applied to the wheels, themselves (as in a sealant).
    Touch up work take a lot of time and patience. I personally don`t get involved with touch up unless its a return customers request.

You paid $75 !!!

You want a real good exterior detail?

Do some resarch in your area and expect to pay for an experience passionate professional. Your wallet will be a little lighter, but your automobiles appearance will be noticibly improved !!!

I spent my morning removing compound & polish from every nock and cranny on a GMC Envoy that was "detailed" last fall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by holland_patrick View Post
    We all know things can and will go wrong when washing engines bays this is way we have to be very carefull( or not do them) SO I do fell the guy should "do right" because he is the expert and should know what he is doing in and around an engine bay

will he most likley not he was paid in cash and is a hobbiest who wanted to pay it big..

I`m a hobbyist who details for a little extra cash here and there. I wont mess with an engine bay. I know I can turn out good results, but I wont do any more than a quick wipedown on anyone elses (other than mine). It sucks that this happened, but I`d say it looks like you`re up a creek. Sorry to hear man.
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    He should have made some type of offer on the ballast but you are wanting a world class detail for $75 and grumping about it. Why were these "disappointments" not discussed up front? It would have taken all of one minute for you to ask questions about what was to be done or describe what you expected. With all due respect the guy is not a mind reader so take some blame yourself here.
    I`ve accepted that the detail wasn`t what I was looking for. I`ve accepted that and moved on. The car looks good, but I pointed out some scratches, etc that I hoped he could get out. HE offered to do the touch-up. Being that a friend of mine recommended him, I got the paint and let him do it. I`m chalking not being happy w/ the outcome of the detail to experience.

The biggest thing I`m pissed about is the fact that when I went and told him about the ballast being fried b/c water got into it, he just kinda looked at me and said "Yeah...I got your text." (I sent him a text message when I tracked it down to the fried ballast and not a connection or wiring issue.) I`m pissed about the fact that he didn`t even show any concern or look like he gave a flying f*ck that HE fried equipment that HE should`ve seen under the hood. He looked at me like I was stupid when I stated that I didn`t realize he was going to use a PRESSURE washer to clean in the bay.

I agree that I shouldn`t have expected GREAT things with him only charging that amount. I told him what I was looking for (Just exterior and engine bay detail to remove scratches and most importantly water/acid rain spots). I was having a hard time getting the spots out with a PC, and was looking for someone that was experienced with a rotary to do it for me. If he couldn`t meet those expectations, he should`ve told me. But he didn`t...the car looks OK, I guess...so, I was gonna pay for services rendered, chalk it up to a loss of the money paid for the detail, and move on.

I`m mostly pissed that he didn`t give a flying f*ck that he fried an HID ballast...nor did he even offer to do anything about it. Just tried to flip the blame on over to me b/c I didn`t tell him they were in there. Well, xxxx...you`re DETAILING the bay....you`d THINK that you`d give it a LOOK before spraying the sh*t out of it with a PRESSURE washer! In the ballasts` defense, if it hadn`t been a PRESSURE washer, it probably would`ve been ok. They`re advertised to have some level of water resistance.

*Pardon mon francias....the more I THINK about it, the more it hacks me off...

Post Thanks / Like

Was out ther other day doing a couple of washes for a client... next to me was another detailer (mexican crew).
    I noticed that they had tons of cars lined up...
    The head honcho was going around the business park lining up the details.
    This guy was charging 60 bucks for a full car polished detail (swirl removal and all). The guy using the buffer was using a dwalt on the super high spead with a lambswool pad (what are we still in the 70`s?)
    He was putting in more swirls than was already there.
    Talk about giving us detailers a bad name....
    There was 3 of them attacking each car. It took them about an hour a car. When they were finished, I could see tons of swirls where the sun was hitting.

The car will probably look ok for the about 2 weeks then the customer will flip out when they see the damage done....

you get what you pay for....

shoot for 60-75 bucks I`ll clean your seats and carpets... thats about it.

NOTE: don`t try to talk us down in price.. the good ones won`t budge. The hackers will do it for less and leave your car looking worse off than it already was.

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a link to Autopia where we covered the problem with Porsche HID lamps:

WARNING: MF on Porsche modules - Page 2 - Autopia Forum

As always, be careful.

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like

No one should use a Pressure Washer in the engine bay unless directed at something very specific to remove. Most chemical cleaners will do just fine as long as they have time to dwell and a good garden hose with nozzle to direct.

Only time I use a P/W is to clean a bay BERFORE and engine goes in. Only time I run a P?W on a full engine is when I prep the electrics, covering them and looking for loose connections etc. Battery is also removed if possible. I limit the cleaning to the specific areas, then I move to chemical cleaners and a hose.

After drying with forced air, check all connections again, remove protection and attach battery if removed. Once dry, start engine and test all electrics.

If I fried something, I pay for it, no questions asked as it was my actions that did it.

Regards,

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deanski View Post
    If I fried something, I pay for it, no questions asked as it was my actions that did it.
    Yeah...I agree...completely. I`ve detailed on the side as a hobby that pays, but always prided myself on conducting myself in a professional manner. Evidently, this guy didn`t get that memo....

Post Thanks / Like

No one should use a Pressure Washer in the engine bay unless directed at something very specific to remove. Most chemical cleaners will do just fine as long as they have time to dwell and a good garden hose with nozzle to direct.
    Although I agree its better to be safe than sorry, most professional detailers will disagree about pressure washing. I have personally pressure washed at least a few thousand engine bays in my life, and can count just a few times in which the motor had a hard time starting afterwards. None of the problems were serious.

I know what your thinking.

It only takes one problem $$$ !!!

One was a 25 rear old Mercedes Benz, and I had to dry out the distributer cap with compresssed air. I have also had the engine fault come up a few times on the w201 3.2 liter Mercedes Benz motor from 1996-2000. In all cases, the check engine light needed to be reset by the dealership.

Regardless, I understand your point, and I always explain the chances of an electrical problem whenever water is placed on/near electrical components.

Anything but Boring.... Fishpimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by C_Rock77 View Post
    I`m just pissed off b/c I know how I am....if that happened on a job I did, I`d OFFER to replace the ballast. The LAST thing I need is someone walking around talking bad about me and MY detailing.

I thought this guy was really good...a fellow "car guy" recommended him. He said he`d been detailing for a long time. The guy really SOUNDED knowledgeable.

There were just some things that I didn`t like about the detail, too. The touch up wasn`t anything like what I expected (from someone w/ that much experience), it didn`t look like anything was done to the trim, and the WHEELS had tire dressing on them. Nothing was applied to the wheels, themselves (as in a sealant).
    A professional you should be pissed.

A fellow tuner you should absorb the cost yourself.

In business we have to make it right. We mess it, We fix it.. Cry at home on the side of your bed. boo-hoo but protect the rep

Friends/Fellow tuners ahhhhh....

For instance I don`t help people move. If I`m helping you move and I mistakenly damage your big screen tv are you going to expect me to pay for it? These are things that you need to think about.

Anything but Boring.... Fishpimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Dean View Post
    Although I agree its better to be safe than sorry, most professional detailers will disagree about pressure washing. I have personally pressure washed at least a few thousand engine bays in my life, and can count just a few times in which the motor had a hard time starting afterwards. None of the problems were serious.

I know what your thinking.

It only takes one problem $$$ !!!

One was a 25 rear old Mercedes Benz, and I had to dry out the distributer cap with compresssed air. I have also had the engine fault come up a few times on the w201 3.2 liter Mercedes Benz motor from 1996-2000. In all cases, the check engine light needed to be reset by the dealership.

Regardless, I understand your point, and I always explain the chances of an electrical problem whenever water is placed on/near electrical components.
    Yes pressure washer is way to go. The trick is to coat electrics with WD40 and not point pressure washer directly at electrics.
    A pressure washer uses less water than a water hose. The danger of the pressure washer is forcing water into places you don`t actually want it to go...

Post Thanks / Like

you get what you pay for ...... correct me if iam wrong but doesnt acid rain actually etch into the surface of the clear coat, really bad acid rain almost needs to be wet sanded out, a rotory buff job at best would lightly diminish the acid rain spots, however bad paint oxidation has a better chance at being buffed out ..... why didnt you try to work on the paint yourself, it sounds like the paint wasnt in the best shape, what do you have to lose

Post Thanks / Like

A professional you should be pissed.

A fellow tuner you should absorb the cost yourself.

In business we have to make it right. We mess it, We fix it.. Cry at home on the side of your bed. boo-hoo but protect the rep

Friends/Fellow tuners ahhhhh....

For instance I don`t help people move. If I`m helping you move and I mistakenly damage your big screen tv are you going to expect me to pay for it? These are things that you need to think about.
    Could not agree more. Well said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information