Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Losing my drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Dean View Post

I have been on this forum for quite a while, and have read many of your post. You ARE a professional, and I would not hesitate to refer you to anyone I know
    Well said
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I think I have just hit a slump or something. And to think, I have it easy right now. This summer I will be finishing out my last few classes for my MBA. Then I will really be low on the time. I`m just gonna sit back and not let it bother me for a few days. I`m sure it`ll blow over.

On a related note, you guys think it might have been something in that Collinite that I ordered?
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

How well I understand. Lately I have been stricken with the "Idontwannas" concerning our cars or seeking business at all. Part of this was due to illness but I`m healed now so no excuse. I`m guessing this happens to all of us at one time or another so I`ll just ride it out.

Take two teaspoons of NXT 2.0 and call me in the morning.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it might have something to do with those depressing avatars
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I think I have just hit a slump or something. And to think, I have it easy right now. This summer I will be finishing out my last few classes for my MBA. Then I will really be low on the time. I`m just gonna sit back and not let it bother me for a few days. I`m sure it`ll blow over.

On a related note, you guys think it might have been something in that Collinite that I ordered?
    It will definitely blow over before you know it.
    I hope it was not the Insulator Wax because I just exposed myself to it yesterday!

Anything but Boring.... Fishpimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I lose my drive often and then I get inspired often. I`m a lot of things often but the end result is that I always exceed my own expectations.

For me when I loose drive it is because what ever I had the drive for is no longer the priority. You had twins? Well maybe that is now the Priority.

Biblical reason for mans loss of drive. (Don`t quote me) Women were brought on to be our help mates. Men for the most part Focus on ONE thing while ladies tend to be the best multi-taskers...

Post Thanks / Like

Ooops Poorboy has twins. My bad. But anyway.. Detailing isn`t your JOB so it is ok to be lax with it.

If it were your job then oh boy we would have to get on ya about that.

...Dreaming on an E92.... LikeaRock's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Dean View Post
    JaredPointer,

I never lose my drive when detailing for customers who appreciates the end results, and is willing to fairly compensate for one`s knowledge and skill. On the other hand, I can be downright rude, when I get a call from a "potential customer" who wants their 5 year old pig restored back to showroom condition for $150.

I have been on this forum for quite a while, and have read many of your post. You ARE a professional, and I would not hesitate to refer you to anyone I know. Life is crazy, keep things in perspective. Take a break if you need it. I was probably the most passionite drug free bodybuilder on the planet 10 years ago. I took a 10 year break, and will be back on stage bigger an better than ever on April 19. maybe you need to take a breather, but don`t take 10 years !!! I`ll come looking for you.
    I thought I was the only one lately that was losing his drive

Wait, I`m young, I wont need a pill for that for years... Or maybe ever

I feel that way sometimes, and lately I`ve really felt like just saying "Screw it", but I stick with it. I had a rough winter financially and emotionally, but I just try to be as optimistic as possible and it`s definitely helped me throiugh rough times.
    I don`t have nearly as much responsibility as you, JP, but I know how you feel. At least it`s not your daily 9-5 job, it wouldn`t hurt to take a break from customer cars and make the Taco shine
    "Lifes too short to live in caution"

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Your not the only one, it happens to a lot of folks. Take some time off and refresh yourself.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Over my career I couldnt tell ya how many times I lost my drive. Just keep pluggin away. Itll come back in time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar problem......always have had it.
    I`ll go hot and heavy on a new hobby for months.....spending money, going to forums concerning what I`m into at the time, talk about it, learn new things constantly.....I eat, sleep, and think about it all the time.
    If I`m not actually practicing it, I`m thinking about it.....all the while, spending money on the "new this," the "best that," then I get "very good" at the hobby, never great, just "very good."
    Then, after maybe 8 months to a year, after absorbing tons of information and facts about it, getting proficient at it......my interest starts to wan. It usually wans gradually until I no longer have much interest in physically doing it or reading about it anymore.
    This has been my "curse" my entire life. My last three hobbies, or interests, including the current one, detailing, were the guitar and before that the harmonica. There have been many more before those.
    I believe that the people who become great at whatever my current hobby is, are those who either never go through the losing interest phase or who persist through it.
    The "curse" hasn`t hit me yet on detailing.......but I know me. It`s inevitable.
    Gary
    The Irate Magistrate
    Neutral & Detached

Post Thanks / Like

The good thing about doing it as a hobby or to supplement your income is that you can control it. Spread out the work so you arent busting your butt for days straight with no breaks.

Post Thanks / Like

I had this happen to me. Mostly because I was so busy getting my house together I just did not have the time to worry about my cars or for the matter detailing on the weekends which was my time to work on settling into the new home. Anyway since the spring is coming along soon and the days are longer I started to get the itch and last weekend I did a full detail on my Gli and lined up 7 cars to detail in Long Island in 3 days. (I just moved to Rochester from LI which is why I am going back for some work)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heatgain View Post
    I have a similar problem......always have had it.
    I`ll go hot and heavy on a new hobby for months.....spending money, going to forums concerning what I`m into at the time, talk about it, learn new things constantly.....I eat, sleep, and think about it all the time.
    If I`m not actually practicing it, I`m thinking about it.....all the while, spending money on the "new this," the "best that," then I get "very good" at the hobby, never great, just "very good."
    Then, after maybe 8 months to a year, after absorbing tons of information and facts about it, getting proficient at it......my interest starts to wan. It usually wans gradually until I no longer have much interest in physically doing it or reading about it anymore.
    This has been my "curse" my entire life. My last three hobbies, or interests, including the current one, detailing, were the guitar and before that the harmonica. There have been many more before those.
    I believe that the people who become great at whatever my current hobby is, are those who either never go through the losing interest phase or who persist through it.
    The "curse" hasn`t hit me yet on detailing.......but I know me. It`s inevitable.
    I am the exact same way... Maybe because i`m single and I can do what i want with my funds. However married guys got to get approval for hobby spending...

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you think I`ve been gone so long? 2006 and 2007 were BAD years for me and I`ve been in one nasty slump, I lost interest in ALL my hobbies and activities. I`d go out to the garage to get my cleaning stuff and just stand there. I could FEEL the energy just draining out of me. Over the past 6 months I`ve been slowly getting back into the groove.

Like the others before me have already said, take a break and don`t sweat yourself over it. Soon enough you`ll be back, it might just be slow at first (but at least with starting over, you won`t have to deal with the learning curve ). Being so fanatical about something often causes us to burn out. Chill for a bit.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information