Post Thanks / Like

MIL`s lovely little 1993 Honda Accord

She got the car in 1994 or 1995, very good condition. Kept in her home garage in State College, PA, up in the mountains, rough winters. For 30+ years she had done a wash and wax once annually on her cars on the Fourth of July (true!). I persuade her to let me take care of the paint, promised her it would last longer and she would like how it looked. She was skeptical (as she was of me in general for many years LOL) but allowed me to take over. Very good paint on that car (taffeta white), thick enamel. I used Collinite 476 for a while then FK1000p the last 10 years. I did the full program of course, polishing when needed, touch up painting etc. After I worked my nu&#s off on the car my wife would insist MIL come look at it, she would always give an exaggerated compliment to show she thought it was too much. Then as the car got older she started to like how it looked, especially when the tech at the local Honda delear kept asking her if he could buy the car. She would say "well that car is slicker than a baby`s bottom". She stopped driving in December 2018 at age 92, one of my sisters bought it, only 110k miles on it then and still running great. It finally came to its end in March (of this year), too much rust in the suspension. Body and interior looked great, engine and trans had another 10 years on it. Such great paint, wish I had that on my 03 Accord!
    Likes Stokdgs, bigltc liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MIL`s lovely little 1993 Honda Accord

Great story! Thanks for posting...shame the suspension gave up!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The ‘93 white Honda Accord (EX, 5-spd manual) that my buddy drove turned me into a Honda junkie, and the car was famous at my high school... lots of back-and-forths partying. The paint was so great, I hope it’s the ‘taffeta’ you mention.

That car led me to only search for Accords when I was 17 and had saved for my own. I ended up with an 89 Accord LX-i with 64k miles, light blue (blue is my color too!). It was so nice to drive a 10 year old car that looked nicer in the interior and had better options than most other cars on the road back then.

A ‘94 5-spd manual Accord and a 2004 Acura TSX 6-spd manual were two cars that followed (with a ‘96 Chevy Blazer 2-door in between... classic off-road/winter 90’s SUV which was a nice change-up). I recently veered away from Honda to try some German engineering out, mostly because I enjoy driving and I need to try out different things before I get old... but I’ll always have a special place in my heart for Honda Accords.

Sorry to reminisce there, couldn’t help it.

Post Thanks / Like

1st car was a 90 charcoal LX Accord and second was a seafoam green ( baby blue ) LX. Both lowered, systems and wheels. My 94 was one of the firsts in US with 18’s..... friggin huge back then...yeah I still love when I see one of those models on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STSInNYC View Post
    She got the car in 1994 or 1995, very good condition. Kept in her home garage in State College, PA, up in the mountains, rough winters. For 30+ years she had done a wash and wax once annually on her cars on the Fourth of July (true!). I persuade her to let me take care of the paint, promised her it would last longer and she would like how it looked. She was skeptical (as she was of me in general for many years LOL) but allowed me to take over. Very good paint on that car (taffeta white), thick enamel. I used Collinite 476 for a while then FK1000p the last 10 years. I did the full program of course, polishing when needed, touch up painting etc. After I worked my nu&#s off on the car my wife would insist MIL come look at it, she would always give an exaggerated compliment to show she thought it was too much. Then as the car got older she started to like how it looked, especially when the tech at the local Honda delear kept asking her if he could buy the car. She would say "well that car is slicker than a baby`s bottom". She stopped driving in December 2018 at age 92, one of my sisters bought it, only 110k miles on it then and still running great. It finally came to its end in March (of this year), too much rust in the suspension. Body and interior looked great, engine and trans had another 10 years on it. Such great paint, wish I had that on my 03 Accord!

STSin NYC -- Hope you and yours are safe from the C19 and the rioters..

What a lovely story ! Thank you for sharing, and thanks for all the time and work you did for your Mother in Law.. What a great Son in Law you are !

It is too bad the parts underneath could not be replaced so the car could keep on running to 200+K..

I have some friends that have been buying Honda`s and Acura`s for over 50 years, fixing them up and reselling them, and they are still doing it today..
    They have fixed up and sold many that have over 200k that still look fabulous and run great..

Lucky for us, California has great weather almost all year long and only a few higher places get snow, so no salt, etc., on roads here..

Have purchased many from them over all those years and have one today, a very nice 2007 Acura TL Type-S..
    Dan F
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fun memories! When I met my wife in 1992 she had a 1987 Accord LX, she bought it in 1988 as I recall, great fun little car, she liked the excellent visibility and easy maintenance. We drove that until 2003 when the rust got to be too much in the suspension and we were ready for another Accord. She was a safe but fast highway driver, for her it wasn`t the journey but the destination. I had a hard time getting her to stay under 85mph on I-80 in rural Pennsylvania. We were driving up to Maine after Christmas one year back in the mid 1990s, I fell asleep while she was driving, wake up around 10pm, we are on I 495 going around Boston, raining, we are in left lane passing all the traffic. I lean over to see the speedometer, she was going 90! Amazingly she had only one ticket and no accidents all those years!

Her favorite car of all was her 1972 Ford Maverick, Must have been the best Maverick Ford built, engine and trans were in good shape when she had to give it up in 1988 because of rust. Had rusted right through the floorbaord, like a Flintstones car, she said you could see the road through the holes. She cried when her brother made her give it up. But she loved the Accords we had.

I think the 1990-93 generation was the best classic Honda Accord, the smaller cars that were so well designed inside and out before they later became 190 inch long American sedans.

Stokdgs - Thank you for asking how I am, appreciated. A bit lonely here with the lockdown, I am a relatively young widower with no kids, no family nearby. So far safe, no COVID infection, no rioting in this neighborhood, but extensive damage elsewhere as you have seen in media.

AcuRAS82 - I can tell you where to find that 93 Accord if you`re interested, just went to the boneyard in the North Hills, near West Deer Township, east of Route 8.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice story. Thanks for sharing. A close friend of mine used to own a 2003 Accord in noble green pearl color.

Post Thanks / Like

Good story! My sister has driven Honda`s her whole life. They do last.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STSInNYC View Post
    .. I used Collinite 476 for a while then FK1000p the last 10 years...[with good results]..
    I knew there was a reason I hit up this thread

But seriously, I always like hearing about cars that last for ages and I`m so glad it served her, and your sister well...sigh, if only that thing`d had its undercarriage cleaned now and then...

Thread Information