Post Thanks / Like

"It was the best of signs, it was the worst of signs..."

Hoping Mr. Dickens won`t be too upset at the misappropriation of his quote...poetic license?
    "It was the best of signs, it was the worst of signs..."-signs.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Coleroad, Oneheadlite, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "It was the best of signs, it was the worst of signs..."

Lost me in the woods.........no idea what this is supposed to mean.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Lost me in the woods.........no idea what this is supposed to mean.
    Kinda a play of a play on first line of Charlie Dickens book...find myself on an entertaining road on the way home but alas, under construction. Eh, made sense to me at the time which is obviously no guarantee it`d makes sense outside of me little cranium

Post Thanks / Like

I got it, that would be my luck. Going to have to look up some more good mountain drives around here.
    Making someone else happy, is one of the best feelings.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I got it

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens, 1859, Book the First Recalled to Life

Chapter 1 The Period -- " It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only...."

Dan F
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Hoping Mr. Dickens won`t be too upset at the misappropriation of his quote...poetic license?
    FWIW, it gave me a good chuckle this morning and helped me get on my way. Thank you for that.

Gordon

Post Thanks / Like

I get the Charles Dickens analogy and the "Great Expectations" and then the disappointment to driving of the two road signs.
    I thought it was more about the inference that the road construction was "winding the road" up and removing it, but then some things that are so obvious means something COMPLETELY different to some one else. (Or Captain Obvious, you are just plain weird trying to explain yourself on this one!)

One thing I have learned about local truck drivers in the Appalachian Mountains is that they can drive VERY fast in big trucks in those hills and you better get out of their way if you have an non-mountainous out-of-state license (like Wisconsin!) on your car and not hold them up. They have places to go in a short time and mountain driving on steep and winding roads does not impede their travel requirements or making deliveries. I can understand WHY some of the best stock car drivers, both dirt and asphalt, come from those areas; it`s a necessary and practiced part of their every-day driving skills.
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    One thing I have learned about local truck drivers in the Appalachian Mountains is that they can drive VERY fast in big trucks in those hills and you better get out of their way if you have an non-mountainous out-of-state license (like Wisconsin!) on your car and not hold them up. They have places to go in a short time and mountain driving on steep and winding roads does not impede their travel requirements or making deliveries...
    That`s good road etiquette anyhow, and good sense not matter what Arguing with a Peterbuilt isn`t likely to end well. I`ve pulled over for `em in cars that were made for such driving (and I`m no slouch as a driver).

I can understand WHY some of the best stock car drivers, both dirt and asphalt, come from those areas; it`s a necessary and practiced part of their every-day driving skills.
    Absolutely! There are guys who know every *inch* of those roads, including where the potential trouble spots are. Heh heh, an upside of Darwinism IMO as those roads do still kill people who get in over their heads. And to think people were navigating those roads year-round before good winter tires and abs/etc....gee.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That`s good road etiquette anyhow, and good sense not matter what Arguing with a Peterbuilt isn`t likely to end well. I`ve pulled over for `em in cars that were made for such driving (and I`m no slouch as a driver).

Absolutely! There are guys who know every *inch* of those roads, including where the potential trouble spots are. Heh heh, an upside of Darwinism IMO as those roads do still kill people who get in over their heads. And to think people were navigating those roads year-round before good winter tires and abs/etc....gee.
    Yes !!!! I have driven into the Western Tip of Texas really early in the morning, and once you get through El Paso, there is a really long stretch of dark, hilly, road where the 18-wheelers go past 100mph and no one is going to stop them.. And yes, I am sure, they absolutely KNOW every square inch of that Interstate 10 through there and for the 50 years I have been making that trip, have Never, Ever, seen one truck causing an accident through there..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

It is not so much the big rigs, but the smaller sized delivery and service trucks that are "fast" drivers on some of those blue-highway (blue as in the ink color denoting less-traveled or minor highways on now-ancient paper maps) roads in those areas.

I think we all know of local twisty roads that are kind of a secret road course. (unless you live in pancake-flat mid-plain states, like Nebraska or Kansas. Sorry for the moniker). Mine was (past tense emphasized) in Northern Marinette County in Northeast Wisconsin called Parkway Road. The BEST part of it was (again, past tense) 7 mile stretch from the town of Silver Cliff to Country Park Goodman Park. It was a great paved back road , but now it is dirt and taken over by Marinette county (local town could not afford to maintain it due to heavy use logging operations) and renamed county Highway I, with ATV-permissible travel, so all the "fun" has been taken out. Still fun to travel, even at 20-30 MPH. Just watch out for deer, wild turkeys, bear, and yes, beer-fueled SCORE Off-road-wannabe ATV drivers (kind of like snowmobile bar hopping, except it is in warm weather and on ATVs and you are covered in dirt and mud!)

Side note:
    Bars are opening up in Wisconsin`s vacation areas and it is like once we are into summer (Wisconsin summers "officially" starts on Memorial Day weekend!) , COVID-19 no longer exists and everyone no longer practices "social distancing" and other CDC guidelines. Kind of hard to swill beer or other adult beverages through a mask, though or see how cute (or ugly!) that opposite-sex person is you may (or may not!) want to talk to at the bar. (NO, I do not drink adult beverages nor do I frequent such establishments, but I do eat bar-food (menu items vary, but EVERYONE has fish on Friday`s year-round as a carryover of Lent for our Catholic-dominated populace) at them on occasion when vacationing "Up Nort`")
    GB detailer

Thread Information