Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

The problems accessing the site

Keep in mind that the frustration we are feeling is probably a very small amount compared to what Troy is going through.

Hopefully, patience will prevail.

(Better prevail pretty darn soon, too!)

Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The problems accessing the site

I have faith in Troy
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It took me about 1 hr to get on, try at least 20 times.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m really sorry you guys are still having problems. I can`t seem to find anyone who knows what the problem is or could be.

I looked into ICANN and they have all the right info on the site including the proper name servers.

I went to a tech forum for any answers and this was the only response which wasn`t very helpful.

Issues moving forum - Tech Support Forum

I don`t know what else to do at this point. So yes it is extremely frustrating and I hope it works itself out soon or someone comes to me with a solution.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe it`s location... seems like people hat are having a problem are located towards the middle of the country (with the exception of zoomzoom). There has to be something in common. the thing is is to see what it is

Post Thanks / Like

Troy, I know this isn`t all that helpful but the people that you are using to host your site should be able to insure that your users can get to you. If they can`t do this, shouldn`t you be looking at some other place to provide your hosting service? I like to think that like many others I`ve been patient with this change (we know it`s harder on you than us) but the truth is that this is beyond ridiculous. I`m sure this has to be costing DC members/customers. I wish I were more of a computer guru and could help you with something this technical.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone who is having trouble accessing the site the next time. Do the following: at a DOS prompt type in the following:

ping www.detailcity.org, the address should resolve to this IP address 216.246.2.2 if it doesn`t this is what causing your problem accessing the site. Your ISP is hitting a DNS server that still has the old IP address. Usually when you move a web site to a different location, it takes 24 to 72 hours to replicate the new IP address to all of the DNS servers located in the world.

DNS servers are used to resolve human friendly names to an address that the computers under.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AhsGrad1973 View Post
    For anyone who is having trouble accessing the site the next time. Do the following: at a DOS prompt type in the following:

ping www.detailcity.org, the address should resolve to this IP address 216.246.2.2 if it doesn`t this is what causing your problem accessing the site. Your ISP is hitting a DNS server that still has the old IP address. Usually when you move a web site to a different location, it takes 24 to 72 hours to replicate the new IP address to all of the DNS servers located in the world.

DNS servers are used to resolve human friendly names to an address that the computers under.
    That is correct but a few days ago when I did that I got a response 4 times but still could not access the site.

In the past week I could only get on after 8 pm but last night I could not even do that.

I have DC as my home page and when I turned on my computer this morning it loaded on DC

I agree with Charles if this don`t straighten out soon if I was Troy I would look into switching to another server.

Maybe he had to agree to a minimum time contract in that case he \we are stuck with it.

I will try to find out more today but the last time that I talked with a tech at Embarq he said their was nothing that he could do.
    I will ask for a engineer maybe he can give some insight to a fix.

Troy the reason I posted about ICANN that is what I was told by the tech at Embarq and I was hoping that the woman working for you would know what to do with that.
    I got to wonder about her competence their has got to be someone that knows what is causing these problems.

Since I can get on part the time I wonder if some of the ICANN servers did not update the new DNS that could explain the sporadic problem.

Post Thanks / Like

The woman working for Troy is most likely a web programmer, not a network engineer. You mentioned that when you was experiencing the problem accessing the site, you pinged and got the correct IP address? If so, that means that the DNS server you are hitting are resolving the name to the address correctly. Could be that the gateway server at the hosting company isn`t translating the requests correctly to map you to the forum. What kind of error page or errors do you receive when you cannot access the site? If you could screen capture the error page and PM me, maybe I can help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AhsGrad1973 View Post
    The woman working for Troy is most likely a web programmer, not a network engineer. You mentioned that when you was experiencing the problem accessing the site, you pinged and got the correct IP address? If so, that means that the DNS server you are hitting are resolving the name to the address correctly. Could be that the gateway server at the hosting company isn`t translating the requests correctly to map you to the forum. What kind of error page or errors do you receive when you cannot access the site? If you could screen capture the error page and PM me, maybe I can help.
    Ask you shall receive.

Not Found
    The requested URL /forums/ was not found on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.detailcity.org Port 80

Post Thanks / Like

Providing this info in the event that someone can use it to troubleshoot:

- My access to deatilcity.org is spotty when going through AOL. The last 70 consecutuve attempts (only a detailer would track this) were unsuccessful. I receive a "Can`t find Webpage" screen. Over the past week, I would estimate that I have hit DC via AOL successfully no more than 30% of the time.

- Those same 70 AOL attempts were followed immediately by an attempt via Internet Explorer (same computer, same time of day, etc.)... successful access every time.

- I can run the same test via RoadRunner if it will help.

FWIW
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like

I`m afraid to say anything for fear of Jinxing myself but I have logged off several times this morning and was able to log on again without a problem.

Time will tell if it is a temporary thing.

Post Thanks / Like

The error is telling me that the apache web server software cannot find the common error page to display the error that happen when you tried to access the site. Sounds like the server software is failing, or they had it off line for maintenance. But normally, maintenance isn`t performed until the early morning hours. Your ISP is finding the site, but due to a software error, you are unable to access the web site. The webmaster or administrator needs to look at the web logs on the server, to see the true error everyone who is having trouble accessing the site is getting.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

looks like we may be getting closer to finding the answers
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

AhsGrad1973 when I ping www.detailcity.org it tells me it can not find 216.24.138.135
    If I type ping 216.246.2.2 the number you said was for DC I get a message that it reads like this,
    Packets send =4
    Packets received=4
    Packets lost=0
    Right after pinging this I tried and could not access DC site.

I was not able to load DC all day yesterday and last night.

This morning it loaded but when I clicked on any topic I got an error page
    I waited about a hour and tried again and it worked.
    Access Time has shifted from night to early morning

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information